Your thoughts on NCL

cocacola86

Never sailed NCL only Carnival and soon to be RC, all I hear about NCL is they nickel and dime, they keep raising the gratuitys, is there anything good about them and what ship is the best for a first time? Not to keen on big ships.

We have been on the 5 major cruise lines and find little difference in service and nickel and diming.

Just off the NCL Jade in May and had no problems at all. IMHO Carnival is the one that does this the most. :cool:

I agree. As you can see in my sig, we've sailed all the major US lines aside from DCL. What some people call nickel and diming, I call options. The one thing NCL has way more of is dining options. Some do charge but many do not. NCL still has live music poolside while CCL does not. I think the entertainment is much better on NCL. Buffet and MDR food is very similar between NCL & CCL.

I also find the service on NCL friendlier than other lines, and they also do the best Meet & Greets by far.

Yes, the DSC has gone up, but I do not begrudge the workers that at all. We usually tip over anyway.

The mainstream lines all charge for similar items. Big reason you are hearing about the gratuities is because NCL raised them twice in six months.

If you are not a fan of the big ships I suggest a Jewel class ship. The Gem which sails from NYC is headed for a dry dock later this year so that may be a good one to try.

We really like staying casual while on vacay, and NCL seems to be the most flexible in this regard. In addition, we like the suite life, and NCL generally has the best suite deals. I think it showed lack of planning to raise the gratuities twice in the span of a couple of months, but we are inclined to tip extra anyway.

If we could get HAL to relax the dress code we would sail on them more, even with the extra cost we really like them.

We had a great cruise on RCL once but hated the cabins and the forced group dining. The choice of eating at 5:30 or 8 was not a choice for us.

We had a bad experience on Celebrity, we booked a very nice suite and had a really crappy butler. The ship was also kind of worn looking.

I think we will be trying river cruising soon, and maybe a luxury line, due to the ports they offer that we can't get on main line cruising.

I am about to head out on my 27th Norwegian cruise always as a solo passenger. I love the fact that I can have dinner at a time of my choosing and where I what to eat. Sometimes I join others, sometimes I don't. I don't need to "dress-up" unless I choose do.

I have sailed on the "Jewel" class ships and on the Getaway. Each has their own vibe and each are equal in many ways.

I hope you find something that fits what you would like and you enjoy the experience.

The nickel and dime complaints exist on every cruise line discussion board. They're no worse (or better for that matter) than any other line.

We've cruise mainly RCI over the last 15 years or so and for the most part we've been quite happy on RCI. A couple of years ago we tried NCL and I was very happy. They're much like RCI except that I found that the line really stresses service more so than RCI. Food is similar but better on NCL I find and the entertainment is equally good on both lines. Its been a while since I've been on Carnival but the last time I was on Carnival I really didn't think the food was very good and NCL was heads above Carnival.

As far as nickel and dimeing goes - you'll only run into that if you choose to. You can easily go on a cruise and spend next to nothing if you want. Don't use room service, don't drink a bunch, don't use the specialty restaurants. We've done that on more than one occasion. In fact we did a 4 day on the Majesty of the Seas one year and had a $100 on board credit and spent only that $100. We've also done 7 day cruises where we spent $1500. So its really up to you.

Enjoy your cruise!

I've sailed NCL, DCL and Cunard. I don't think there is any difference in the nickel and diming.

I like NCL since I can book it close to sailing and eat with who I want, when I want.

I also like that there is no formal attire required.

I like that I can book any room in my price range for less people than the room will actually hold.

What is the Gem getting in DryDock

Just because a ship goes to shipyard, doesn't mean there will be any changes to the public venues or cabins. Shipyard (drydock) is for regulatory inspections and maintenance of the equipment below the waterline. The hotel department will utilize the time given them without passengers to refurbish the hotel. This can include carpet and upholstery renewal, repairs and touch up to carpentry, and thorough cleaning of things like the MDR chandeliers, all done on a cost/benefit basis, so not all cabins may get new carpet, for instance. NCL does not have any program like Carnival's Funship 2.0 (though that has been scaled back as well), and tend to be closed mouth about changes to the ships.

Very similar across the board. It is surprising how similar NCL, CCL and RCCL are when it comes to service standards and customs. If you could somehow take away all the company logos and just put someone blindly on a ship I would be most would have a hard time deciding what line they were on.

Just because a ship goes to shipyard, doesn't mean there will be any changes to the public venues or cabins. Shipyard (drydock) is for regulatory inspections and maintenance of the equipment below the waterline. The hotel department will utilize the time given them without passengers to refurbish the hotel. This can include carpet and upholstery renewal, repairs and touch up to carpentry, and thorough cleaning of things like the MDR chandeliers, all done on a cost/benefit basis, so not all cabins may get new carpet, for instance. NCL does not have any program like Carnival's Funship 2.0 (though that has been scaled back as well), and tend to be closed mouth about changes to the ships.

Actually they do have a program called Norwegian Next.

http://www.ncl.com/next

I would expect many changes to public areas with addition of new bars like 5 O'Clock Somewhere that have been added on other ships.

I know they have Pepsi, but what else do they have for pop and can you bring your own? What's one thing you would recommend for a new person coming to NCL and whatre some advantages and disadvantages

Diet pepsi, sierra mist, root beer...that's all I recall my kids getting. Dew or Dr. Pepper or other Pepsi brands?

Yes, you can bring your own non-alcoholic beverages, if you like.

The nickel and dime complaints exist on every cruise line discussion board. They're no worse (or better for that matter) than any other line.

We've cruise mainly RCI over the last 15 years or so and for the most part we've been quite happy on RCI. A couple of years ago we tried NCL and I was very happy. They're much like RCI except that I found that the line really stresses service more so than RCI. Food is similar but better on NCL I find and the entertainment is equally good on both lines. Its been a while since I've been on Carnival but the last time I was on Carnival I really didn't think the food was very good and NCL was heads above Carnival.

As far as nickel and dimeing goes - you'll only run into that if you choose to. You can easily go on a cruise and spend next to nothing if you want. Don't use room service, don't drink a bunch, don't use the specialty restaurants. We've done that on more than one occasion. In fact we did a 4 day on the Majesty of the Seas one year and had a $100 on board credit and spent only that $100. We've also done 7 day cruises where we spent $1500. So its really up to you.

Enjoy your cruise!

Hi

I've seen Royal Caribbean cruise line referred to as RC, RCCL but never RCI, is it the same thing?

I also heard that NCL made some changes to the Gem while she was sailing, such as adding O'Sheehans. Honestly, the Gem isn't that old. I wouldn't think she would need much other than some touch ups.

I agree with all of the above posts. (Wow, how often can you say THAT around here???) If you were happy with the other mass market lines then you'll be happy with NCL too. I think the food is just a bit more interesting on NCL. We especially appreciate the Indian offerings. We also like the truly freestyle dining and the casual dress code. I like to dress up when sailing from my home port but otherwise don't want to drag extra luggage around Europe. We also think NCL has a slight edge on entertainment.

I also heard that NCL made some changes to the Gem while she was sailing, such as adding O'Sheehans. Honestly, the Gem isn't that old. I wouldn't think she would need much other than some touch ups.

It's not in a state of disrepair, but the TV system needs an upgrade, the iConcerge app doesn't work on that ship, the photo system is the old fashioned one where you have to hunt down your pictures that end up having fingerprints all over them from everyone else handling them, the roulette machines are always broke, and the big screen in the Atrium needs replacing.

I will start this off with I have only cruised on NCL. I started with them in 02, liked the product and have stayed put. We are casual people - we like to eat when we want and with ourselves. In 02 most of the other lines were just figuring out how to do this - NCL was ahead of the curve.

After our first cruise ever, and being upgraded to an NCL suite :) we decided that a cruise vacation was something we could do every so often. Even back then, the butler service was great. We ate breakfast in the room almost every day and loved the afternoon snacks. Not to mention the extra space. Then the next two cruises were in balcony cabins - then back to a suite :). Even when we stayed in regular cabins, the staff treated us like royalty. They were always smiling, and friendly and went out of their way to make sure you were enjoying yourself.

The change from Coke to Pepsi several years ago was a bit of a blow to us - but we can drink diet Pepsi when Diet Coke is not available - you can also bring your own soda onboard - no problem.

I really don't know where NCL gets the nickel and dime reputation - I feel that the number of announcements is reasonable and the attempt to sell you extra services are present but can be ignored - ie they are not that high pressure.

I also cruise for the destination - AK x3, HI and Canada & NE next year. So as long as the ship provides a bed to sleep in, food to eat, and transportation to my next destination I am happy.

I also have found that for the most part NCL ships are similar - all have at least 2 MDRs - one is usually more formal than the other (and often located in the stern of the ship) There is a casual eatery that is open all the time - Blue Lagoon/O'Sheehans, Cadillac Diner (POA), Buffets, bars and grills on various places on the ship. I love the ships with the Great Outdoors on the top deck aft. I did notice more Indian food in the buffets on our last cruise in 2012.

While I have no first hand evidence, I agree that you could probably remove the logos and most people would not know what line they were on.

HAL might be the exception :D

I agree. As you can see in my sig, we've sailed all the major US lines aside from DCL. What some people call nickel and diming, I call options. The one thing NCL has way more of is dining options. Some do charge but many do not. NCL still has live music poolside while CCL does not. I think the entertainment is much better on NCL. Buffet and MDR food is very similar between NCL & CCL.

I also find the service on NCL friendlier than other lines, and they also do the best Meet & Greets by far.

Yes, the DSC has gone up, but I do not begrudge the workers that at all. We usually tip over anyway.

I just read the other day on the Carnival board that Carnival just announced that it is bringing back the live music poolside on a few ships this year and then spreading fleet wide over the next year. Nice to see something being added instead of being cutback for once lol. Hopefully Carnival does something about their stage shows because they have gotten really bad in the last few years. I think NCL blows them off the map when it come to entertainment.