Double Whammy - Reserving Deck Chairs & Hairdryers on Sapphire

Golfette

Oh good, I have something else to worry about! On the Sapphire, do you have to reserve deck chairs???? I had no idea. I'm more interested in being around a "quiet" pool where there aren't a lot of kids. What pool would that be??? And if you do have to reserve deck chairs, with whom do you reserve them and when? Also, I've read posts that say the hair dryers are "weak." What does that mean? I don't have loads of wavy curls, but I would like to dry my hair quickly. Should I bring my own? Thank god for all you savvy cruisers!

You really do need to relax for this cruise. I've also read your posts and can tell you, you really have nothing to worry about. We have been on many Princess cruises and have never had problems like you are worried about. You don't reserve deck chairs, just go and get one and sit down! Simple as that. The hairdryers aren't something I like, so we bring our own just like I do on every vacation we ever take, no matter where it is. I always bring an extension cord so we can plug the hairdryer and straightening iron (for my daughter) in at the same time.

We sailed on the Diamond just this past June and loved it. I hit my Elite status on that cruise and love cruising. You will have a wonderful time, so do relax.

Hulagirl

I have not heard anything about reserving deck chair on any Princess Ships. :confused:

On the Grand class ships the Terrace Pool (aft) is usually adults only.

There is also a small pool near the spa area that generally stays quiet.

As for the hairdryers. I have very short hair & do not like the Princess hairdryers.

Personally I would recommend you bring your own. I always do.

Enjoy your cruise :)

Reserving deck chairs - people start showing up at 5 am to get a deck chair ticket. At approximately 7 am, they call a number and those with that number have first choice for deck chairs for that day. Usually, those who show up first at 5 am, have the best possible chance of getting good deck chairs. Once you find your deck chair (they are numbered), you must stay in the deck chair for the rest of the day. If you leave your deck chair, you forfeit your assignment of that chair and must go through the lottery again. Personally, I wouldn't leave that deck chair all day - having gone through the lottery 2 and 3 times a day, it is just emotionally draining. I just try to get to the Explorers Lounge early to get a good number and then bring everything I need for the day when I find my chair. As long as you show up between 5:00 and 5:30 am, you will be fine and should get a good chair near one of the pools.

Hulagirl,

Thanks for your calming post. Folks, PALease relax, chill, take a V, whatever. This is supposed to be a vacation. I read some posts and wonder why some people elect to travel with another 2k passengers vs. being their own capt.

I can assure you I will hang in my mini with the wife (Jan 06) and we will soak it in.

p.s. I am no longer stressed from my work day. Thanks.

Reserving deck chairs - people start showing up at 5 am to get a deck chair ticket. At approximately 7 am, they call a number and those with that number have first choice for deck chairs for that day. Usually, those who show up first at 5 am, have the best possible chance of getting good deck chairs. Once you find your deck chair (they are numbered), you must stay in the deck chair for the rest of the day. If you leave your deck chair, you forfeit your assignment of that chair and must go through the lottery again. Personally, I wouldn't leave that deck chair all day - having gone through the lottery 2 and 3 times a day, it is just emotionally draining. I just try to get to the Explorers Lounge early to get a good number and then bring everything I need for the day when I find my chair. As long as you show up between 5:00 and 5:30 am, you will be fine and should get a good chair near one of the pools.

ROFLMAO You didn't actually post this DID YOU? Oh Coral, bad girl. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL (is that enough laughs and smileys)? :D :D :D :D

To dry hair quickly, hang your hair over the commode and flush repeatedly. After a meal that includes up to 12 lobster tails, it takes a mighty wind. It works great to dry hair, too. Save the room a hair dryer would take up in your luggage for a coffee maker instead.

You will not find this tip on any list of Princess secrets. Another first for Cruise Critic!

Coral,

Beware of those chair ticket scalpers!!!:D

Oh believe me - I am well aware of them, I just can't afford them. If I could afford $1000 a ticket, do you think I would show up at 5 am to get a ticket the old fashioned way?

Golfette--O.K. You win I have never seen or read an other person who has stressed out so much about a cruise. If I were you I would just stay home. You can not be having fun planning this cruise. Please just kick back and let what ever happens --happen. Let the wind and the sea breeze take you to a world of not worrying.

Or is this just all a joke to you and you are really not worrying all this much.

Taking my first Princess cruise 10/22/05 on the Sapphire. If DH and I both want deck chairs can just one of us go in the morning and get two tickets? Do they try and put couples together? We want to have chairs next to each other. If you do have to pay, it goes on the ship board account card right? If not, I will need to bring more cash. Are towels included?

Thanks

Bring your own hairdryer the hair dryers are awful. It is something I stress about too when I vacationas I am not spending half my cruise trying to dry my hair with those pitiful dryers or some trips not having one at all.

As far as the chair thing goes I think they are all joking. I never heard of getting up to get a chair number. It is a big joke on Princess ships about the amount of chair hogs out there and how lax Princess is enforcing the no reserving policy. It is frustrating at time, but you will find a chair eventually.

As mentioned the rear adult pool is less crowded and I believe the spa pool is adult only from 12:00-3:00 each day. They also have a few tiers of horseshoe shaped benches you can sit on at the spa pool too.

Good luck!!

Golfette, for a Taurus, you certainly obsess on the details. Don't worry, things will happen and it'll be okay (for example, on our last Mex. Riv. cruise, my hubby didn't put my coat in the car and I didn't realize it until we got to the port. So I just wore my sweater and tried not to notice the cold. Still had a good time.

There are now listings for deck chairs on particular cruises listed on eBay. The highest bidder gets the numbered deck chair for the entire cruise. One auction states you get the chair next to Tom Cruise. It started off with an opening bid of $100.00 and is already up to $650.00. I think the procedes are going to charity.

Just do a search on "Deck Chairs, whatever cruise ship your on"

Good Luck and happy bidding..................

There are now listings for deck chairs on particular cruises listed on eBay. The highest bidder gets the numbered deck chair for the entire cruise. One auction states you get the chair next to Tom Cruise. It started off with an opening bid of $100.00 and is already up to $650.00. I think the procedes are going to charity.

Just do a search on "Deck Chairs, whatever cruise ship your on"

Good Luck and happy bidding..................

You joke about that, but there was something from Royal Caribbean on e-bay the other day that I couldn't believe....the tags you put on your luggage for disembarking. White is the "priority" color...or first color called to get off the ship. (Its usually given to Diamond members in RCI's Crown & Anchor club) Well...someone was selling 2 of them. I think they actually got $15 for them.

ROFLOL That is so funny, I actually believed it for a minute

Taking my first Princess cruise 10/22/05 on the Sapphire. If DH and I both want deck chairs can just one of us go in the morning and get two tickets? Do they try and put couples together? We want to have chairs next to each other. If you do have to pay, it goes on the ship board account card right? If not, I will need to bring more cash. Are towels included?

Thanks

Sally, please don't take this post seriously, it is a joke. You will not have to get up at 5:00 AM and get a ticket for a deck chair. Although sometimes I think this might be easier than trying to find one, Coral is just funnin' with everyone! ;)

I can just see the confused looks when the pool staff are stopped and asked "When are you going to start passing out the tickets for the loungers?" "Well on Cruise Critic they said you did!"

Bad, Bad Coral. They will make you in charge of that job if you are on that cruise. :D

On a serious note, weren't they giving out tickets to reserve seats only for the MUTS at night. Although recent cruisers are stating that you don't need tickets? Maybe that is what the OP heard.

Wait til you hear the procedure for getting a decent hair dryer! ;)

The dryers are fine unless you have a lot of hair and/or are fussy about your dryer. They're maybe 14-1500 watts, and the usual type you see hanging on the wall in hotels. The "little gun" type, not the "big gun" type. I don't pack my own when I travel -- at all -- and I have a shoulder-length bob with relatively lots of hair, and the ones on the ship are adequate.

I can just see the confused looks when the pool staff are stopped and asked "When are you going to start passing out the tickets for the loungers?" "Well on Cruise Critic they said you did!"

Bad, Bad Coral. They will make you in charge of that job if you are on that cruise. :D

On a serious note, weren't they giving out tickets to reserve seats only for the MUTS at night. Although recent cruisers are stating that you don't need tickets? Maybe that is what the OP heard.

I was told there is no MUTS on Sapphire....fyi

Archived