Double Whammy - Reserving Deck Chairs & Hairdryers on Sapphire

Golfette

I don't pack my own when I travel -- at all -- and I have a shoulder-length bob with relatively lots of hair, and the ones on the ship are adequate.
I feel the same way and I have really thick hair!

If you have a balcony, the trick is to go out after washing your hair and let the breeze dry it most of the way and then use the hair dryer. I've even gone up on top deck to dry my hair. The wattage up there when the ship is at full throttle is about 10,000. :D

O.K., O.K., enuf already. I promise I will stop hyperventilating & caaalllllmmm down. Just think - my poor husband has to live with me! He's the one who'll have to get up at 5 a.m. to get in the lottery for the deck chairs anyway! You guys are really creative - loved your comments.

I was told there is no MUTS on Sapphire....fyi

I was just saying that maybe because of the prior threads of tickets for MUTS that maybe that is why the OP thought you had to reserve chairs. But good point. Don't want them looking for the MUTS.

O.K., O.K., enuf already. I promise I will stop hyperventilating & caaalllllmmm down. Just think - my poor husband has to live with me! He's the one who'll have to get up at 5 a.m. to get in the lottery for the deck chairs anyway! You guys are really creative - loved your comments.

You shouldn't feel bad, or alone, about your hyperventilation while cruise planning. Let's face it...we're all at least a little guilty of this, or we wouldn't be spending all this time on Cruise Critic. I personally fall somewhere in the middle of the obsessive behavior I've seen on these boards, which puts me in the top 98% of AR (anal retentive-ness) of all the people who cruise.

I just figure I HAVE to be this way...my husband is the guy who sat at the dining table with 6 new friends/tablemates on our second cruise and asked, "Which ship are we on?" because he truly had no idea. Someone in this relationship better be sweating the details!

Coral... GREAT post about the deck chairs. Hysterical. :)

As for the hair dryers, I've NEVER had a problem with the hair dryers and I've got relatively thick hair that's permed. I've found more of a difference in the soft water onboard the ship than the water at home. No matter what you bring or use, it'll be different because the water is different.

Relax and enjoy your cruise.

Reserving deck chairs - people start showing up at 5 am to get a deck chair ticket. At approximately 7 am, they call a number and those with that number have first choice for deck chairs for that day. Usually, those who show up first at 5 am, have the best possible chance of getting good deck chairs. Once you find your deck chair (they are numbered), you must stay in the deck chair for the rest of the day. If you leave your deck chair, you forfeit your assignment of that chair and must go through the lottery again. Personally, I wouldn't leave that deck chair all day - having gone through the lottery 2 and 3 times a day, it is just emotionally draining. I just try to get to the Explorers Lounge early to get a good number and then bring everything I need for the day when I find my chair. As long as you show up between 5:00 and 5:30 am, you will be fine and should get a good chair near one of the pools.

All this time I thought you had to do all this for tender tickets? Seriously, though – QE2 is the only ship I’ve heard of where you need to reserve deck chairs.

I think your questions are perfectly appropriate. They are no more evidence that you need to calm down than are the questions from people who want to see a menu 10 months in advance or those who want to know the name of Third Officer of the Watch on Emerald Princess or those who want to know if a particular movie is playing onboard.

Ask whatever questions you want answers to..... :)

I think your questions are perfectly appropriate. They are no more evidence that you need to calm down than are the questions from people who want to see a menu 10 months in advance or those who want to know the name of Third Officer of the Watch on Emerald Princess or those who want to know if a particular movie is playing onboard.

Ask whatever questions you want answers to..... :)

Yeah....I never have understood those types of questions. Are those people going to cancel their cruise because they didn't like who the Captain or Cruise Director is....or what is on the menu??? THAT is being anal. LOL

I just figure I HAVE to be this way...my husband is the guy who sat at the dining table with 6 new friends/tablemates on our second cruise and asked, "Which ship are we on?" because he truly had no idea. Someone in this relationship better be sweating the details!

OMG, that is soooooo my DH! :D All he wants to know is what days to take off from work so he can put in for vacation. Beyond that, he's not into details. :rolleyes:

Come to think of it – wouldn’t assigned deck chairs eliminate the chair hog problem?

bdjam - I have heard from several "about cruising in the old days when you were assigned a deck chair". I don't remember specifics or cruise lines but I have heard many mention this.

bdjam - I have heard from several "about cruising in the old days when you were assigned a deck chair". I don't remember specifics or cruise lines but I have heard many mention this.

It’s a throw back to the class system. Even on QE2, I believe the reservations are only for deck chairs on the decks reserved for Queen’s Grill passengers - which of course are the premium spots.

We are waitlisted #147 for deck chairs at the Neptune, but only #23 for chairs at the spa pool. Which one do you recommend?? Does anyone have pictures of both so we can see them before we have to choose? Which ones would have the better padding? How about chance of being out of the wind when we are at sea??

:) :) :)

Good one Coral!

BTW: answers to trivia questions: Spa Pool chairs are much better and out of the wind!

We are waitlisted #147 for deck chairs at the Neptune, but only #23 for chairs at the spa pool. Which one do you recommend?? Does anyone have pictures of both so we can see them before we have to choose? Which ones would have the better padding? How about chance of being out of the wind when we are at sea??

:) :) :)

Too funny!

Apologies to those who took me seriously........Glad that many (ok - some) enjoyed the post :) Golfette - enjoy your cruise!

Coral do not apologize. I thought your post was just too much.;) I really had a good laugh over that. Keep it coming.

Marilyn

Apparently, you had to have lifeboat reservations on the Titanic, too.

This way you always have your chair and you must take care of it or lose it. Your cabin number would be stencilled on it. Then your only worry is finding a place to put it by the pool. If you leave it on the deck after the pools close then the staff would collect it and would return it to your cabin with a charge on your room bill. That should stop the chair hogs. TO EACH THEIR OWN!

Archived