Live from the Spirit - Grand Med 1st Aug

KeithJenner

Today, we are foregoing the delights of Rome in favour of sitting on Raffles Terrace drinking some cocktails. I will post a bit about getting into Rome later on, and our friends have set off to try to find a private transfer into the city, so I should be able to report how they get on.

Le Bistro tonight. Looking forward to it. :)

we've just booked this cruise for next year

Ok it's actually 18 July to 1st August but still Barcelona to Venice

It was a hard job finding non connecting balconies still available and in a decent location but we chose 9586 which is above the gift shop and lifeboats on deck 8 so should be quiet!!

So will be following along with your review even more eagerly and look forward to catching up with you on the Escape in October!

Lyn

Just reporting in. Le Bistro was great as usual, and I've had another great evening at Henry's Pub. Lester, the barman is great and there are some fun people to spend the evening with.

This is the first cruise that I've had the UBP. It doesn't usually make financial sense, mainly as we would have to buy the soda package for our son, and it's better to buy the Viva Vino package and buckets of beer. We cancelled our original booking this time and rebooked to get the UBP and some OBC thrown in. It's fun to be able to grab a cocktail when we want.

I said I'd mention getting into Rome. We have done it a couple of times before using the train. I would recommend to anyone who wants to do it that way to check on the website about booking the fast train. Last year, the problem with that was that the first train was a little later than was ideal, but it was much more comfortable. It is certainly worth booking a return on the fast train, as the worst thing about using the slow train was getting back on a busy train in the heat without a seat. If you book the fast train you get a reserved seat which makes a huge difference and it isn't very expensive.

It's worth rebooking whatever you want to do in Rome. I'd recommend the underground tour of the Collisseum which was reasonably priced and takes you both to the floor area and also to the very top level. Again, it was very reasonably priced, but you have top rebook to avoid queues.

I was hoping to report back on how our friends got on getting a private your from the port, but we missed them as we were at Le Biatro. Hopefully I will be able to report that tomorrow.

We are going to Herculineum tomorrow, but at the moment I'm sitting on the balcony watching the moon rise over the Italian coast. I've had worse days. :)

Just reporting in. Le Bistro was great as usual, and I've had another great evening at Henry's Pub. Lester, the barman is great and there are some fun people to spend the evening with.

This is the first cruise that I've had the UBP. It doesn't usually make financial sense, mainly as we would have to buy the soda package for our son, and it's better to buy the Viva Vino package and buckets of beer. We cancelled our original booking this time and rebooked to get the UBP and some OBC thrown in. It's fun to be able to grab a cocktail when we want.

I said I'd mention getting into Rome. We have done it a couple of times before using the train. I would recommend to anyone who wants to do it that way to check on the website about booking the fast train. Last year, the problem with that was that the first train was a little later than was ideal, but it was much more comfortable. It is certainly worth booking a return on the fast train, as the worst thing about using the slow train was getting back on a busy train in the heat without a seat. If you book the fast train you get a reserved seat which makes a huge difference and it isn't very expensive.

It's worth rebooking whatever you want to do in Rome. I'd recommend the underground tour of the Collisseum which was reasonably priced and takes you both to the floor area and also to the very top level. Again, it was very reasonably priced, but you have top rebook to avoid queues.

I was hoping to report back on how our friends got on getting a private your from the port, but we missed them as we were at Le Biatro. Hopefully I will be able to report that tomorrow.

We are going to Herculineum tomorrow, but at the moment I'm sitting on the balcony watching the moon rise over the Italian coast. I've had worse days. :)

Keith could you confirm if the trains and buses in Rome are air conditioned. Thanks

Hey Keith,

We just got off the Spirit on the 1st. Did Venice to Barcelona. Excursions were great. Stop by Champagne Charlies on deck 8 and tell Jimmy and Lester that Steve and Rochelle said hello. They'll take good care of you.

Steve

Hey Keith,

We just got off the Spirit on the 1st. Did Venice to Barcelona. Excursions were great. Stop by Champagne Charlies on deck 8 and tell Jimmy and Lester that Steve and Rochelle said hello. They'll take good care of you.

Steve

Lesther is looking after us in Henry's Pub this week. I'll try to remember to say hi from you. I understand that Jimmy has his hand full already.

Firstly, just finishing off yesterday, our friends just took a taxi to civitavecchia station, so I can't add much to my report from yesterday.

Today, we went to herculinium, which was well worth it. If you can only do one then do Pompeii, but Herculinium is better in my opinion.

I understood that to get to Garibaldi station you needed the number 1 tram, but we were advised to use the metro, which is great. Just walk to the other side of the building site from the port and go into the metro. €1 each to garibaldi and then €2 each way to Erculano Scavi. Fantastic place to visit.

We decided to walk back to the ship from Garibaldi, mainly to prove to ourselves that Naples isn't quite as much of a dump as we previously thought. Amazingly it was even worse than we expected. It really is a dismal place, the absolute worst city I've ever been to, and I've been to some dismal places. There are some fantastic places nearby, but Naples itself is about as bad as a city can be.

Anyway, we've had a great night in Henry's Pub. Mixed reports by others from Cagneys tonight (we just grabbed something from the buffet). I took my son to the magic shop, which he loved. Looking forward to a relaxing day tomorrow.

I broke one of my golden rules of the Internet last night, which is not to post when drunk, and I was very drunk when I did that last post. :)

I think it makes sense, but feel free to ask questions if it doesn't.

don't worry-made perfect sense!

For Herculaneum were there plenty of taxis prepared to take people there-Ian could manage the site but not if he's used up his energy getting there by train!

don't worry-made perfect sense!

For Herculaneum were there plenty of taxis prepared to take people there-Ian could manage the site but not if he's used up his energy getting there by train!

I didn't see it, but I understand there is a shuttle bus to go between the station and the site. There were a couple of taxis around, but I don't think you could rely on it.

The site itself is relatively compact, especially compared to Pompeii, so I think it could work well for you.

Our friends hired a taxi which took them to Pompeii and Herculineum. I think they paid about €130.

A relaxing couple of days. We had a slow start yesterday after overindulging the night before, and didn't do too much during the day. I almost missed the meet and greet as we forgot to put our clocks forward and also totally forgot about the latitudes party. Spent most of the day on our balcony really.

Last night a few of us went to Shogun, which we all agreed was our favourite meal of the cruise so far. I have eaten in the noodle bar on the Epic, Breakaway and Getaway before, but this was my first time in the actual restaurant and it was very good. We will be going back next week.

Today, we had planned to tale the free shuttle into town, but when we went for breakfast we noticed that the kids pool and the hot tub at the back of the ship were deserted, so we went there instead. We had the area to ourselves for about 2 hours, which was great. It's fun watching all the ferries coming and going as well. It's a relatively short stop, so we decided not to bother getting off at all in the end.

Out friends took the NCL transfer to a beach across the island. They said it was worth the charge (about $20 I think).

We're just relaxing for a while before Cagneys tonight.

I broke one of my golden rules of the Internet last night, which is not to post when drunk, and I was very drunk when I did that last post. :)

I think it makes sense, but feel free to ask questions if it doesn't.

Happens to the best of us. Thanks so much for your contributions. I always enjoy reading your posts :)

Thanks for the review! We are so looking forward to our trip next year;)

I am just wondering if you happen to know what the exchange rate is on the ship at this time for buying Euros? With the Canadian dollar taking a dive at the moment, I am trying to figure out a few different options for us buying Euros, and would like to know roughly what the US$ to Euro exchange rate is on board.

Thank you for any info you can provide.

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

I understood that to get to Garibaldi station you needed the number 1 tram, but we were advised to use the metro, which is great. Just walk to the other side of the building site from the port and go into the metro. €1 each to garibaldi and then €2 each way to Erculano Scavi. Fantastic place to visit.

hi Keith, thanks for your review. I've seen some reports that the trains to Herculaneum are really overcrowded and hot, especially at peak commuter times. How did you find them, and what time would you recommend is best for travelling on them? Thanks.

Today, we had planned to tale the free shuttle into town, but when we went for breakfast we noticed that the kids pool and the hot tub at the back of the ship were deserted, so we went there instead. We had the area to ourselves for about 2 hours, which was great. It's fun watching all the ferries coming and going as well. It's a relatively short stop, so we decided not to bother getting off at all in the end.

Out friends took the NCL transfer to a beach across the island. They said it was worth the charge (about $20 I think).

In case people are wondering, you are talking about Mykonos, right?
I've seen some reports that the trains to Herculaneum are really overcrowded and hot, especially at peak commuter times. How did you find them, and what time would you recommend is best for travelling on them?
This is the major advantage of taking the tram instead of the metro to catch the Circumvesuviana train: If you take the tram from right outside the port building to Porta Nolana station, that is where the train begins, so you have a good chance of getting a seat. There is usually a crowd of people waiting to get on at Garibaldi station.

Yes, I was talking about Mykanos.

Our train to Herculaneum was quite busy. Often there are trains along every 10 minutes, but there was a 30 minute gap before the one we caught, so a lot of people were waiting for it. I'd recommend checking the times and trying to get one after a shorter wait. Our return was after a shorter gap and the train was very quiet.

The wifi is $25 a day for the unlimited package. The timed packages are just over $100 for about 4 hours. Very expensive, but I need it for work.

I'll try to find out about exchange rates. Do you get the exchange from guest services? I've never looked onboard before.

Thanks for the review! We are so looking forward to our trip next year;)

I am just wondering if you happen to know what the exchange rate is on the ship at this time for buying Euros? With the Canadian dollar taking a dive at the moment, I am trying to figure out a few different options for us buying Euros, and would like to know roughly what the US$ to Euro exchange rate is on board.

Thank you for any info you can provide.

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

You might do some research on the pre-paid Euro cards. I have not used one but it looks like it might work to buy your Euro's now vs later. https://www.travelex.com/cash-passport

Edit: after posting this I looked at their exchange rate does not look favorable. They are quoting .82 Euro per $1USD when the actual rate right now is .91 Euro per $1 USD.

Edited by flapbreaker

Hi Keith, can I just ask what time you docked in Livorno?, am trying to work out what time train we would be able to get to Florence and how long we would have there, I.e. What time train we would need to get back from Florence?

Keith, I know you said you have free laundry but I am wondering if you can let us know what days they have the laundry bag special? Trying to figure out how much clothes to pack and when we will need to do laundry.

Thank you for all your info so far!

Hi Keith, can I just ask what time you docked in Livorno?, am trying to work out what time train we would be able to get to Florence and how long we would have there, I.e. What time train we would need to get back from Florence?

I don't know the exact time that we docked, but it was around the published time. I suspect the shuttle buses wouldn't start any earlier than the published time, and it would be something unusual to cause the ship to be more than a few minutes late.

I'd work on people starting to leave the ship at around the scheduled time (8am).