Luggage Overboard

DiMar

Just got off the Celebrity Equinox without my luggage. They told me my suitcase went into the ocean by accident along with 11 other bags! They were supposed to bring my stuff all washed to my hotel in Barcelona. They didn't and the ship sailed an hour ago! Needless to say I'm furious and I have no clothes! NEVER TRUST THEM WITH YOUR BAGS AGAIN!!!!

Hate this happened to you! :(

I would definitely call the ship's Port Agent in Barcelona hoping they might possibly be there but had been delayed getting to your hotel.

LuLu

Celebrity states quite clearly in the disembarkation paperwork that they accept no liability whatsoever for your luggage after you leave it outside your stateroom door. Anyone could steal it (more common) or lose it (or drop it in the ocean, however rare that may be) and they bear no responsibility. For this reason, we always disembark with our suitcases rather than leaving them out, and have had no issue doing this.

DiMar, I am so so sorry this is happening to you :(

Hopefully your stuff is on its way to you.

Can I suggest you have a quick word with your hotel desk about getting a few essentials? They will be used to people turning up from the airport minus luggage and will have basic cosmetics. If you could then just get a couple of clean t shirts and shorts from their gift shop at least you could change and wash what you left the ship wearing.

I know you should not have to do this but it isn't about what is right or wrong it is about you taking positive action to improve things before this unhappy incident spoils your happy cruise memories and ruins the rest of your holiday.

All the very best.

Celebrity states quite clearly in the disembarkation paperwork that they accept no liability whatsoever for your luggage after you leave it outside your stateroom door. Anyone could steal it (more common) or lose it (or drop it in the ocean, however rare that may be) and they bear no responsibility. For this reason, we always disembark with our suitcases rather than leaving them out, and have had no issue doing this.

DiMar, I am so so sorry this is happening to you :(

Stating that they have no liability doesn't necessarily make it so. In this case, their stated intention of washing and delivering her belongings to her could be construed as an admission of liability.

Stating that they have no liability doesn't necessarily make it so. In this case, their stated intention of washing and delivering her belongings to her could be construed as an admission of liability.

Or just good customer service. Since when does a doing good dead result in being responsible. If that were the case, anyone helping a severely injured person who died could be sued for not saving their life if they attempted to help.

It's easy to sit at home and calmly assess the implications, but the OP is clearly and rightfully upset. Give DiMar and opportunity to vent a bit, as I think most of us would in this situation.

Absolutely right. I'm always calm (and sympathetic) about other peoples' plights. I don't recall but did the OP indicate he was on his way home or starting a land tour. Big difference. I sure hope this all works out somehow.

Or just good customer service. Since when does a doing good dead result in being responsible. If that were the case, anyone helping a severely injured person who died could be sued for not saving their life if they attempted to help.

In fact, the example you use is very real, which is why Ontario and some other provinces in Canada have enacted the Good Samaritan Act or similar to provide protection to people in just that situation. This had become a real issue for organizations (Red Cross, St John Ambulance) providing first aid training, when they saw increasing numbers of injured people turning around and suing the very people who had saved their lives. Typical cases involved CPR which, when performed properly, will result in broken ribs, a small price to pay for having your life saved, but some ingrates will use litigation to try to make a buck no matter what.

As for the luggage, I said it "could be construed as an admission of liability." Whether it is or not I'll leave to the lawyers.

Edited by Fouremco

In fact, the example you use is very real, which is why Ontario and some other provinces in Canada have enacted the Good Samaritan Act or similar to provide protection to people in just that situation. This had become a real issue for organizations (Red Cross, St John Ambulance) providing first aid training, when they saw increasing numbers of injured people turning around and suing the very people who had saved their lives. Typical cases involved CPR which, when performed properly, will result in broken ribs, a small price to pay for having your life saved, but some ingrates will use litigation to try to make a buck no matter what.

As for the luggage, I said it "could be construed as an admission of liability." Whether it is or not I'll leave to the lawyers.

The "Good Samaritan Act" is in effect all across Canada in some form or another which I am thankful for.

The "Good Samaritan Act" is also something, a version of which, is enacted in the US.

However, that is relative to the safety of a person. It has zero relevancy regarding property. Although, in the US, depending opon the exact words used there may have been an admission of liability. In which case, then Celebrity would be responsible.

Although, the fact the ship was docked in Barcelona, and the ship is registered in Malta (I believe), begs the question as to what law would prevail.

Obvioulsy this is not really of the magnitude that you would file suit over. I am sure Celebrity is making best efforts to make it right and will come up with a satisfactory solution.

The OP however should have a place to vent his displeasure and frustration.

I think the cruise contract limits their liability to $500.

Agree, especially since Celebrity admitted that their employees accidentally dumped it into the sea.

I can well understand why the OP is so upset. Am very interested to see how/ if Celebrity makes this right whether they are liable or not. Goodwill matters.
To the OP,

:(So sorry this happened to you and what an awful situation to be in. Anyone in your situation would be upset. We all take chances anytime we check our luggage and I for one ALWAYS breathe a sigh of relief when I see mine finally appear, be it at airport baggage claim or by the door to my cabin. Please keep us updated as to how this pans out. Again, so sorry about this and I hope this doesn't put too much of a damper on the rest of your trip.

Edited by cadburysmom

I would be absolutely devastated! For the person that said replacing clothing was easy - I can assure you that for some of us it is not!! :mad: At 5'2 a good deal of my clothing must be tailored - even petites - which dramatically adds to their cost. Some of us take our formal wear to the nines and one gown alone can cost more than some pay for their cruise - the reimbursement $$ from Celebrity fall WAY to short to compensate for actual costs.

While the chances of this happening are very low - makes me want to struggle with self disembarkation next cruise.

Edited by Jane2357

I can understand the OP's frustration. I flew to Europe, out of Chicago, for a Seabourn cruise. Upon arrival in Paris, no luggage..... nothing. Have you ever tried to find two weeks of clothing, in Paris, on a Sunday, on World Cup Finals day, with only $150 compensation from the airline? My luggage was found sitting on the tarmac in Chicago, 5 days later, and we played catch up for another 4 days because the bags never made it to the various docks before sailing.

With that said, would I say I'd never check bags with an airline again? No, that wouldn't make sense. Stuff happens, and in subsequent years, it makes for interesting table mate conversation.

The bad news is that it happened at all, but the good news is that it was AFTER the cruise and the OP had clothes for the whole cruise.. A lot easier to shop on land than on a cruise ship for new clothes!

Also, another reason for trip insurance!

Helaine

My wife reminds me to tip the porters on the dock real good or else our suitcases may end up in the bay.;) Or left on the dock as the ship departs...

That is one reason why we get trip insurance. Things do happen and you have to be prepared as best as possible. Why do we buy personal insurance? To protect against the unexpected.

Agree, especially since Celebrity admitted that their employees accidentally dumped it into the sea.

Nowhere did the OP say that Celebrity "admitted that their employees" are to blame. No need to make false accusations based on minimal information.

When loading and unloading luggage, the dock workers are responsible for the movement to and from the ship, not the ship's employees. All the Celebrity employees will do is load the cart and position it for the dock worker to grab with a forklift and move it to the luggage retrieval area.

No admission of responsibility was mentioned by the OP. They only mentioned that Celebrity would be cleaning the contents, something they are doing most likely as a good will gesture.

Edited by SantaFeFan

In this case, I absolutely understand why the OP has not returned to his/her thread, with a follow-up. Being in a strange city, with nothing to wear, has to be a pretty stressful experience. :eek:

But, I do hope that, once the OP returns home (hopefully with this issue resolved), they will come back and tell us how things worked out. :cool:

Edited by wwcruisers

OP stated the ship sailed and they still had no bags. It seems that Celebrity said they went into the water but by saying they will be laundered and returned indicates they must have been able to retrieve the bags. That still isn't great but hopefully better than loosing everything.

Nowhere did the OP say that Celebrity "admitted that their employees" are to blame. No need to make false accusations based on minimal information.

When loading and unloading luggage, the dock workers are responsible for the movement to and from the ship, not the ship's employees. All the Celebrity employees will do is load the cart and position it for the dock worker to grab with a forklift and move it to the luggage retrieval area.

No admission of responsibility was mentioned by the OP. They only mentioned that Celebrity would be cleaning the contents, something they are doing most likely as a good will gesture.

SantaFe,

Perhaps you are right. The local dock workers could have dumped the luggage. However, I have seen Celebrity employees unloading luggage on several cruises.

Even so, if Celebrity agreed to clean the contents, that could be interpreted as more than a good will gesture.

Of course, the backup would be to fine with trip insurance.

OP stated the ship sailed and they still had no bags. It seems that Celebrity said they went into the water but by saying they will be laundered and returned indicates they must have been able to retrieve the bags. That still isn't great but hopefully better than loosing everything.

depending upon what time they went into the water and retrieved, I would not be surprised that the bags had not yet made it to the hotel, before the ship sailed. I would expect that they were turned over to a commercial facility on land and would expect 24 hours or so for them to make it to the hotel.

Would be interesting to hear from the OP if the bags did make it.

depending upon what time they went into the water and retrieved, I would not be surprised that the bags had not yet made it to the hotel, before the ship sailed. I would expect that they were turned over to a commercial facility on land and would expect 24 hours or so for them to make it to the hotel.

Would be interesting to hear from the OP if the bags did make it.

Compounding the problem is the possibility that the OP had a flight out the following day and was gone within 24 hours.

Compounding the problem is the possibility that the OP had a flight out the following day and was gone within 24 hours.

Maybe if the OP were to come back we would have some idea of the possibilities.