Luggage Overboard

DiMar

I’m so sorry to hear about your lost luggage DiMar! What a terrible way to finish off a cruise!

I hope Celebrity helps you and you get your luggage back!

I wonder what happened to DiMar. I assume the clothes got cleaned and she is back home. Otherwise, I would have expected another rant.

I very much hope DiMar comes back and lets us know about the end of their trip and if indeed they finally did receive cleaned clothing, etc... Also curious as to how it was handled by insurance and what kind of reimbursement they received.

This is something that could happen to any one of us and I for one would like to know how things turned out.

Edited by cadburysmom

For those who use cable ties, be aware that many thieves carry black or white cable ties with them so they can search your luggage and replace the ties afterwards. I have a large package of different sizes and different colors. Our newer suitcases have TSA locks built in to protect the zipper closing.

The only time I recall TSA checking our luggage was the one we were carrying back from a Western Caribbean/South American cruise. We brought back several bags of coffee beans, and wondered if they thought we were masking the aroma of something else.

Kathy

Just to let you all know...Celebrity retrieved my bag from the ocean full of sea slime, etc. and proceeded to partially dry the clothes (not wash), pack them into my sea soiled suitcase and send them to my hotel in Barcelona. They are now frayed, pulled and mildewed and quite disgusting. I called Celebrity the other day when they did not contact me as promised and thy have magically misplaced the paperwork and want me to re-send it to them which I have done. I am hoping to hear back from them to see what they plan to do to make me whole again. Yes I am aware that clothing can be replaced and I do have insurance (which by the way is questioning coverage of Celebrity's error) and yes things happen all the time, but what a major hassle from sheer negligence. I am only suggesting that others might reconsider carrying off luggage as an option. As a matter of fact that was Celebrity's comment to me (which was quite annoying) and thus far they have done nothing to rectify the situation. I will keep you posted with the hopes that they respond as one would expect from a quality cruise line.

Just to let you all know...Celebrity retrieved my bag from the ocean full of sea slime, etc. and proceeded to partially dry the clothes (not wash), pack them into my sea soiled suitcase and send them to my hotel in Barcelona. They are now frayed, pulled and mildewed and quite disgusting. I called Celebrity the other day when they did not contact me as promised and thy have magically misplaced the paperwork and want me to re-send it to them which I have done. I am hoping to hear back from them to see what they plan to do to make me whole again. Yes I am aware that clothing can be replaced and I do have insurance (which by the way is questioning coverage of Celebrity's error) and yes things happen all the time, but what a major hassle from sheer negligence. I am only suggesting that others might reconsider carrying off luggage as an option. As a matter of fact that was Celebrity's comment to me (which was quite annoying) and thus far they have done nothing to rectify the situation. I will keep you posted with the hopes that they respond as one would expect from a quality cruise line.

Thank you for coming back and posting.

I am so sorry your bag and clothes are ruined. Yes they can be replaced, but that's not always so easy and is expensive.

I think it's awful they suggested you carry off your own luggage.

I hope you get full restitution and Celebrity treats you a bit better going forward.

I would not expect any more from Celebrity than the amount listed in the cruise contract.

Here's another "thank you" for coming back and posting. I'm so sorry this happened. How awful for you. :( Please let us know how Celebrity responds.

I would not expect any more from Celebrity than the amount listed in the cruise contract.

I too would not expect more than the contractually agreed upon amount of $300.

My reason for this is the Cruise Contract Section 2(b) through (d) reads: (bolding is mine)

"(b) Unless negligent, Carrier is neither responsible nor liable for any loss of or damage to Passenger's property.

Liability for loss of or damage to Passenger's property in connection with any air or ground transportation shall be

the sole responsibility of the provider of the service and in accordance with applicable limitations.

© Carrier's liability for loss or damage to property is limited to $300.00 per Passenger unless Passenger declares the

true value in writing and pays Carrier before embarkation or before arriving for the start of the RCT Land Tour

(whichever is earlier) a fee of five percent (5%) of the amount that such value exceeds $300.00. In such event,

Carrier's liability shall be limited to its true declared value, but not exceeding $5,000.

(d) In no event shall Carrier be liable for loss of or damage to jewelry, cash, negotiable paper,

photographic/electronic equipment or other valuables unless they are deposited with Carrier on the Vessel for

safekeeping against receipt (RCT may not accept valuables for deposit). Carrier's liability for loss of or damage to

valuables so deposited shall not exceed the amounts indicated in Clause 2©.

Edited by WpgCruise

Celebrity MAY pay the $300 or not...depending on whether they believe they are responsible. I believe that you may find celebrity claims they are not responsible for your luggage once it leaves your room. That's interesting because then the liability would fall to the port or those handling the luggage, not celebrity and you can file a claim against them irrespective of your contract with Celebrity. In fact, even if celebrity does give you $300 in compensation, you may still have a claim against the port baggage handlers.

Just to let you all know...Celebrity retrieved my bag from the ocean full of sea slime, etc. and proceeded to partially dry the clothes (not wash), pack them into my sea soiled suitcase and send them to my hotel in Barcelona.

"Full of sea slime, etc." When did your luggage fall overboard? A couple of years ago? :confused:

How could anything other than water have gotten inside your zippered and closed luggage in the few minutes it would have taken someone to retrieve the bag? It's not like it has large openings in the sides to let things wander inside! Heck, a person could spend much more time than that frolicking in the waves on a beach and they certainly won't exit the water full of "sea slime, etc."

Sorry, I want to be sympathetic - I really do. But when exaggerated statements such as this are made, I really have to wonder what the truth actually is. :confused:

Edited by PTMary

Celebrity is your contact but the workers on the pier, the people who will fish out your luggage, perhaps dry them and get them by courier or drop them off by your hotel themselves are all employed by, in most cases, the port agent.

I agree that things should have gone better but it is, frankly, out of hands of the cruise line as soon as they set sail.. There is nobody on the dock employed by Celebrity when the ship is gone in foreign ports as Barcelona. And they too have to rely on the hired port agent doing their job accordingly.

Sorry it happened to you..

"Full of sea slime, etc." When did your luggage fall overboard? A couple of years ago? :confused:

How could anything other than water have gotten inside your zippered and closed luggage in the few minutes it would have taken someone to retrieve the bag? It's not like it has large openings in the sides to let things wander inside! Heck, a person could spend much more time than that frolicking in the waves on a beach and they certainly won't exit the water full of "sea slime, etc."

Sorry, I want to be sympathetic - I really do. But when exaggerated statements such as this are made, I really have to wonder what the truth actually is. :confused:

Errm, people don't swim in polluted, industrial ocean ports? :D

Not wanting to start something but what would be the difference to us if the clothes were completely or partly dirty. It might have been underwater all day, laying on the sea bed jammed under that heavy luggage cart thing and they could only retrieve it when the ship wasn't along the pier?

TS has a valid complaint, why should we even know and even judge on the degree of dirty clothes? Come on.. :)

DiMar

Thanks for coming back and updating us.

SO SORRY!

That is disgusting.

Celebrity may not HAVE to do anything more than give you the $300 but it certainly might be good customer relations to do better than that!

And PTMary - next time you go on a cruise look down at the water right at the port next to the ship.(Between the ship and the land)

It's NOT just clean sea water. It's disgusting green slime .

Edited by chamima

You forgot to mention that the clothes were pulled and frayed. I guess some fish got in the suitcase.:confused:

I am sorry that the end of your cruise has been spoiled in this way. Whatever the final outcome, it will always colour your memories of the cruise.

I just wanted to point out one thing: You say that Celebrity suggested that you ought to carry off your own luggage. There is another current thread that says that Celebrity limit how many people can self disembark. It may be useful to know this as you proceed. Post 41: http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2218510&page=5

Edited by Project_gal

I too would not expect more than the contractually agreed upon amount of $300.

My reason for this is the Cruise Contract Section 2(b) through (d) reads: (bolding is mine)

"(b) Unless negligent, Carrier is neither responsible nor liable for any loss of or damage to Passenger's property.

Liability for loss of or damage to Passenger's property in connection with any air or ground transportation shall be

the sole responsibility of the provider of the service and in accordance with applicable limitations.

© Carrier's liability for loss or damage to property is limited to $300.00 per Passenger unless Passenger declares the

true value in writing and pays Carrier before embarkation or before arriving for the start of the RCT Land Tour

(whichever is earlier) a fee of five percent (5%) of the amount that such value exceeds $300.00. In such event,

Carrier's liability shall be limited to its true declared value, but not exceeding $5,000.

(d) In no event shall Carrier be liable for loss of or damage to jewelry, cash, negotiable paper,

photographic/electronic equipment or other valuables unless they are deposited with Carrier on the Vessel for

safekeeping against receipt (RCT may not accept valuables for deposit). Carrier's liability for loss of or damage to

valuables so deposited shall not exceed the amounts indicated in Clause 2©.

And if they were to pay that, that would be a nice little earner for Celebrity/RCL! Given it would work out as 1 in 20 bags getting lost (ignoring admin cost), which as mentioned is nowhere near the loss rate.

Thanks for letting us know how things turned out. This is a really disappointing result. I can't imagine why some on this board want to minimize the inconvenience, unpleasantness, and stress that you are experiencing. It's like saying, yes, your brand new car has been run over by a cement truck, but it's not a total loss because look, this door handle is still nice and shiny and there isn't a scratch on the floor mats. Wishing you all the best going forward, and hope you get some satisfaction from Celebrity.

Errm, people don't swim in polluted, industrial ocean ports? :D

Not wanting to start something but what would be the difference to us if the clothes were completely or partly dirty. It might have been underwater all day, laying on the sea bed jammed under that heavy luggage cart thing and they could only retrieve it when the ship wasn't along the pier?

TS has a valid complaint, why should we even know and even judge on the degree of dirty clothes? Come on.. :)

DH said exactly the same thing!

And if they were to pay that, that would be a nice little earner for Celebrity/RCL! Given it would work out as 1 in 20 bags getting lost (ignoring admin cost), which as mentioned is nowhere near the loss rate.

Just thinking, I take this refers to the 5% additional fee? Curious how many cruisers do take this up, and what is actual loss rate??:eek:

Wonder if Celebrity/RCL advises brides (there was a wedding on board our last cruise) to self (dis)embark wedding dress luggage?

I am sorry that the end of your cruise has been spoiled in this way. Whatever the final outcome, it will always colour your memories of the cruise.

I just wanted to point out one thing: You say that Celebrity suggested that you ought to carry off your own luggage. There is another current thread that says that Celebrity limit how many people can self disembark. It may be useful to know this as you proceed. Post 41: http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2218510&page=5

This was last week...I can't recall the exact number, but it was in the hundreds. 500 or under 500 for self embarkation. My husband insists it said 250. But i'm always right. :) It was the first time we have seen a notice like this on all of our cruises.

We left the ship #19 with all but one bag in hand once our number was called. Also packed inexpensive / easy to replace items in the checked bag. However, the $300.00 cap would just cover the cost of the luggage bag.

I would not jump to conclusions.

Bag falls into water (water around ports not exactly the cleanest).

Bag sinks to bottom

During process of sinking or when on the bottom the pressure in the bag may be less then the pressure of the water around it. Water and whatever it contains (mud, algae, etc) gets forced into bag. Think about how deep the water must be for the cruise ship to be docked there. Water pressure increases fairly quickly. Water and whatever it contains will be forced in until the pressure equalizes. Depending upon the type bag it might get crushed (hardside) due to pressure, softside bags are not exactly water proof.

Now they have to retrieve. From what I saw during one incident they first try and hook the bags, they also sent down divers later on. The bags can be damaged during that process as well.

Then once they have the bag if they try and do anything to clean or dry them they have to open the bags and atleast dump the water out, I don't expect that they would be as careful as you and I when we pack or empty our suitcase during that process.

So yes there is plenty of opportunity for muck to get into the suitcase and for things to get damaged by other than just water.

Go take an old suitcase put some weight in it. Dump it into a pond about 20 feet deep. Pull it up about 30 minutes later. You might be surprised about how much mud has gotten inside.

Edited by RDC1

I would not jump to conclusions.

Bag falls into water (water around ports not exactly the cleanest).

Bag sinks to bottom

During process of sinking or when on the bottom the pressure in the bag may be less then the pressure of the water around it. Water and whatever it contains (mud, algae, etc) gets forced into bag. Think about how deep the water must be for the cruise ship to be docked there. Water pressure increases fairly quickly. Water and whatever it contains will be forced in until the pressure equalizes. Depending upon the type bag it might get crushed (hardside) due to pressure, softside bags are not exactly water proof.

Now they have to retrieve. From what I saw during one incident they first try and hook the bags, they also sent down divers later on. The bags can be damaged during that process as well.

Then once they have the bag if they try and do anything to clean or dry them they have to open the bags and atleast dump the water out, I don't expect that they would be as careful as you and I when we pack or empty our suitcase during that process.

So yes there is plenty of opportunity for muck to get into the suitcase and for things to get damaged by other than just water.

Go take an old suitcase put some weight in it. Dump it into a pond about 20 feet deep. Pull it up about 30 minutes later. You might be surprised about how much mud has gotten inside.

Thanks to you - and to the others - for educating me on what the conditions might actually have been. I assumed the bags would float, not sink to the bottom of 30ft deep filthy water. I now know better! ;)

Thanks to you - and to the others - for educating me on what the conditions might actually have been. I assumed the bags would float, not sink to the bottom of 30ft deep filthy water. I now know better! ;)

Saw a metal container (metal sides, open top) of them go into the bay at San Francisco once. Some were dragged down by the container and the weight of the others on top. Some floated for a couple of minutes and sank more slowly. They did snare a couple before they sank, but not many..

Edited by RDC1