Is the Penninsular Club worth your loyalty?

Florry

We are also looking at more Princess cruises.....we did our third one with them last summer and were amazed that we were Elite because of our P and O history....and to be quite honest we were treated like royalty...straight through check in and security and once on board shown to our cabin which was ready for us before 1 pm....free laundry and dry cleaning, canapes in cabin on formal nights....fresh fruit in cabin on request...lots of internet....priority tenders...allocated lounge to await disembarkation with coffee etc. ...we paid less than £50 a night for our cruise and still had the free shuttles etc. and could choose our dining time as well!! .we really felt valued passengers which I'm afraid we don't feel with P and O .....:(

We just wish Princess did more cruises from Southampton....we are contemplating the North Cape one next summer.

Thanks for sharing, I will have to do more research on the ships and maybe start looking at what their pax are saying on their forum!

Don't forget that with Princess the gratuities are a lot higher, you are only allowed to take one bottle of wine on board at embarkation and there are no brew facilities in the cabin. You can order room service for your early morning tea, but it is the norm to tip a couple of dollars because you are on an American ship. The drinks in the bars are more expensive and attract a 15% gratuity. We have sailed with Princess many times and have, in fact, one book for next February to Austrailia and NZ. Princess cruises attracts more international passengers and the demographic may not be to your liking. I would say they are no better than P&O, just different. I have Elite status with Princess so do have experience in travelling with them, but my cruises in October and December this year are both with P&O. The perks are not the deciding factor when I choose a cruise holiday.

Don't forget that with Princess the gratuities are a lot higher, you are only allowed to take one bottle of wine on board at embarkation and there are no brew facilities in the cabin. You can order room service for your early morning tea, but it is the norm to tip a couple of dollars because you are on an American ship. The drinks in the bars are more expensive and attract a 15% gratuity. We have sailed with Princess many times and have, in fact, one book for next February to Austrailia and NZ. Princess cruises attracts more international passengers and the demographic may not be to your liking. I would say they are no better than P&O, just different. I have Elite status with Princess so do have experience in travelling with them, but my cruises in October and December this year are both with P&O. The perks are not the deciding factor when I choose a cruise holiday.

I agree with everything said. We are also elite on Princess having done 22 cruises with them but for the last 4 years P&O and Cunard have been our preferred lines because on our last Princess cruise the food and service had deteriorated so much compared with the other cruises that we had done. We have just booked a cruise Princess for next year because they had an itinerary that we wanted. Perks are NOT the be all and end all for us. Over the years we have met P&O cruisers who have tried Princess and have found that the Princess offering is too different from P&O for them.

I would suggest that anyone considering jumping from P&O to Princess or any other American line should do so with an open mind but bear in mind that it is an American line. The American way is to tip constantly regardless of whether or not the service is good so this can add a considerable amount to your overall spend. The entertainment will be geared towards the Americans, if you enjoy quizzing you will find that their quizzes are quite challenging for British passengers because they are again geared to American subjects. The food is more towards the American palate and is usually good but it is different to P&O.

Other differences when considering Princess are that if you are not sailing from the UK the brochure prices do not usually include flights so you will need to consider the extra cost of flying out to the ship, either by booking through Princess or organising your own flights. We have found that all shuttles have to be paid for, other than those supplied by the local authorities so again something that needs to be budgeted for. Overall we have found that cruising on P&O works out cheaper for us than cruising with Princess so if you are very budget conscious you should look very carefully at the add ons that you will find on Princess.

Edited by Josy1953
I can't spell

As i said earler we paid less than 50 pounds a night for our cruise...no flights as we sailed from Southampton..we don't drink alcohol so those prices don't apply to us...you could reduce tips if you wanted.....

Yes there were alot of other nationalities but they were mostly English speaking....not like Costa where announcements are done in five languages!!

Itinerary is always the deciding factor for us but we also would like a bit of recognition that we are spending/have spent several thousands of pounds per annum with P & O :)

As i said earler we paid less than 50 pounds a night for our cruise...no flights as we sailed from Southampton..we don't drink alcohol so those prices don't apply to us...you could reduce tips if you wanted.....

Yes there were alot of other nationalities but they were mostly English speaking....not like Costa where announcements are done in five languages!!

Itinerary is always the deciding factor for us but we also would like a bit of recognition that we are spending/have spent several thousands of pounds per annum with P & O :)

Jenny, Presumably the £50pppn was for an inside cabin booked reasonably close to sailing date. We need an accessible cabin and therefore need to book on brochure launch and I have been astonished at Princess brochure prices for a balcony from Southampton compared with P&O or Celebrity; which is a shame because Princess was our preferred cruise line in the past.

Interesting and valuable views, we tip room service anyway and I'm not overly concerned about most of the other points, however I would miss a kettle in the cabin, can you take your own?

No kettles, irons or steamers allowed. you can ring room service for tea when you wake or you can put the breakfast card on your door before you go to bed to request tea/coffee and anything else that you want to be delivered at a specified time.

After several years cruising with Cunard, Celebrity and RCI, we only discovered P&O two years ago. Since then we have taken 4 cruises with them with another booked over the New Year period. We are not motivated by the loyalty scheme (nor with any other purchases, i.e. supermarkets, department stores, etc).

We prefer P&O for 3 simple reasons:-

1. They do not add 15% to every beverage purchase, and leave a space on the receipt for you to add a further tip. It makes my blood boil.

2. Kettles are provided in each cabin. I cannot plan what time I wake, but when I wake I want a cup of coffee, the way I like to make it.

3. I am treated like a responsible adult by being allowed to take more than one bottle of wine on board.

What are the top 3 reasons of others who prefer to cruise with P&O?

After several years cruising with Cunard, Celebrity and RCI, we only discovered P&O two years ago. Since then we have taken 4 cruises with them with another booked over the New Year period. We are not motivated by the loyalty scheme (nor with any other purchases, i.e. supermarkets, department stores, etc).

1. They do not add 15% to every beverage purchase, and leave a space on the receipt for you to add a further tip. It makes my blood boil.

2. Kettles are provided in each cabin. I cannot plan what time I wake, but when I wake I want a cup of coffee, the way I like to make it.

3. I am treated like a responsible adult by being allowed to take more than one bottle of wine on board.

Very similar to our cruising experience, only P&O for us now.. :)

1. The ships are cruise ships and not holiday camps and adult only ships.

2. No added %% on everything

3. Great prices

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Jason12

My top reasons would be:

1. Southampton sail

2. Being able to take tea and coffee facilities for granted

3. It's familiar and therefore easy

Are they strong enough reasons to make me stick with one brand, I think the answer is no. Could P&O do more to retain my custom and help future proof their business the answer is yes.

Apparently P&O do add 12% to your drinks purchase, it is rolled into the price you pay and not itemised. The 12% goes to the waiters via a bar pooling system.

USA prices are higher but I understand that the spirit measures are a LOT larger! Similar with Thomson, their standard spirit measure is 40ml compared with P&O's 25ml :mad:

Back on topic, P&O is convenient, the cabins are pretty good and the ambience suits me.

Apparently P&O do add 12% to your drinks purchase, it is rolled into the price you pay and not itemised. The 12% goes to the waiters via a bar pooling system.

USA prices are higher but I understand that the spirit measures are a LOT larger! Similar with Thomson, their standard spirit measure is 40ml compared with P&O's 25ml :mad:

Back on topic, P&O is convenient, the cabins are pretty good and the ambience suits me.

The do add the 12% but their prices are still very good.

1. They sail from Southampton 12 month a year. We cruise mostly between September and May so very important.

P&O have had trouble over the past decade trying to satisfy the pre-existing passenger base and trying to expand the numbers of people cruising to fill the large number of recently acquired ships which have been allocated by Carnival Corporation. The big focus is cheap holidays and in this respect lately more people seem to be focused almost exclusively on saving money. I have cruised on a small range of cruise lines and have found that Princess is the nearest you will get to a P&O product. There are some improvements you will find on Princess and there are some deficiencies.

The costs on Princess seem to be higher but they are publishing well ahead of time in comparison to P&O and then the prices do drop nearer sail date on many itineraries. The choice of itinerary is enormously more varied on Princess but the choice of UK based round trip is a lot less.

Regards John

With reference to tips dont see £5pppn on P&O with compared to approx £7-50pppn on Princess "a lot higher" especially you get what you pay for and the service and food is superior on Princess compared to P&O in our opinion. Finally you can the same as on P&O go to reception and remove auto gratuities and then tip at the end of the cruise any ammount you wish.

With reference to comments about cost of drinks yes Princess add 15% but P&O do the same but include it in the price and if you are a spirit drinker the measures on Princess are 44ml compared to 25ml on P&O (nearly double) and on Princess you get free mixer with your drink i.e. Lemonade/ Coke which P&O charge for which makes the drink virtually the same.

As i said earler we paid less than 50 pounds a night for our cruise... :)

This illustrates what's wrong with the cruise industry. It's impossible for P&O to make a profit on rates like this, particularly with non drinkers. So standards inevitably fall, as we know has happened over the last few years.

The best Premier Inn in Bournemouth is priced from £100, so the same rate as the cruise cheapo. No food, no entertainment, no ports, nothing but a basic room, which won't be a patch on the on board one.

And they're still building more ships. Madness.

David.

. Finally you can the same as on P&O go to reception and remove auto gratuities and then tip at the end of the cruise any ammount you wish.

I wonder if anyone tips to the level of the removed gratuities?

David.

But I forgot the free mini-bar :D

As a solo cruiser on my aborted Princess cruise I apparently would have got TWO minibars:D plus double captains circle points. Not that it mattered as i was already elite level because of my P&O cruises.

that cruise never happened but i got to meet the lovely Aurora and have a 3 night stand with Oriana this weekend. Should be hilarious seeing all those hen and stag parties :eek::D

This illustrates what's wrong with the cruise industry. It's impossible for P&O to make a profit on rates like this, particularly with non drinkers. So standards inevitably fall, as we know has happened over the last few years.

The best Premier Inn in Bournemouth is priced from £100, so the same rate as the cruise cheapo. No food, no entertainment, no ports, nothing but a basic room, which won't be a patch on the on board one.

And they're still building more ships. Madness.

David.

Well I think the best Premier Inn room would be far bigger than our small inside cabin....you can't compare unless it's like for like.!!

We do not drink alcohol because of the medication we take, but we still have soft drinks, use the spa, and buy a few excursions, so still spend money onboard.

My example was of a Princess cruise where we were treated really well even though we got a late cheap deal, P & O have a different approach even to their loyal, longstanding customers.

So to answer the original question .....the Peninsular Club makes no difference from our point of view....does anyone want to buy several pairs of P & O slippers (one size fits all) !!!!!!!:D

I wonder if anyone tips to the level of the removed gratuities?

David.

Possibly not but the option is there for those that dont want to have auto gratuities to remove them whether they tip up to the same rate above, less or none at all is another subject widely discussed on all cruise forums on a regular basis.

P&O DO NOT add 12% to the advertised price, whatever they did to arrive at the menu price is irrelevant. The other lines that add 15% to the quoted price are the culprits.

No they add 12% to price then advertise inclusive rate.