Oasis Formal Night

Ask ten people and you'll get ten different replies to this seemingly simple question. Formal (and even casual) attire for the MDR is a bone of much contention on these boards. In the end, the fact is that some staff on some ships enforce the suggested dress - others do not.

The Cruise Compass on formal night would suggest suits and ties for men, cocktail style dress for women. The reality is that many don't follow those suggested guidelines. What I normally see is a step up from casual for many, others will be in tuxes and cocktail dresses, and others will dress the same as they do every other night in the MDR (which includes jeans, polo shirts, sundresses and capris).

Some report being sent away from the MDR when trying to wear shorts on casual nights - others have said that's all they wear.

We pack casually, and we eat in the Windjammer on formal nights. That's our preference.

Are we required to dress up on formal night in order to eat in the MDR?

No.

My husband's version of fancy is a button down and khakis. I assume that I can get away with a maxi dress.

Thoughts?

That's fine.

While we love dressing up, and no one stops us from doing so, the days of requiring formal dress in the MDR are long gone.

Back in the mid 1970's, while sailing on the Emerald Seas, I remember passengers being turned away from the main dining room on formal nights if their dress did not meet the standards of jacket and tie for the men and dress or dressy pants for the ladies.

It is not just a cruise ship phenomenon - we attended a formal evening showing of Phantom of the Opera at the theater recently to find that people showed up in jeans and even shorts.

We have been to 5 star restaurants on shore and seen similar casual dress.

RCCL is following a trend of dressing down.

We pack casually, and we eat in the Windjammer on formal nights. That's our preference.

Clarifying my response above, we pack casual and wait and see what the mood of the ship is when it comes to Formal night. If the overall feel of the ship is more laid back than 'formal', we will eat in the MDR for formal night in our casual clothes (polo or button down, sundress). If the trend seems to be more formal, we usually will skip the MDR and head to the Windjammer on formal night.

While we love dressing up, and no one stops us from doing so, the days of requiring formal dress in the MDR are long gone.

Back in the mid 1970's, while sailing on the Emerald Seas, I remember passengers being turned away from the main dining room on formal nights if their dress did not meet the standards of jacket and tie for the men and dress or dressy pants for the ladies.

It is not just a cruise ship phenomenon - we attended a formal evening showing of Phantom of the Opera at the theater recently to find that people showed up in jeans and even shorts.

We have been to 5 star restaurants on shore and seen similar casual dress.

RCCL is following a trend of dressing down.

Yes, thank you for pointing this out. In the hotter months here in the mid-Atlantic, it would be seen as perfectly acceptable to wear nice shorts in all but the stuffiest restaurants and show venues. Shorts are commonly worn to church as well.

Since these questions always get the same answers, I will just add my usual as well: Some or even many people still dress formal with tuxes and fancy dresses. I only say this because being around people dressed like that, some may feel they are "under-dressed". If you aren't concerned about that then go with whatever you feel is okay.

Are we required to dress up on formal night in order to eat in the MDR? We are hoping to dress casually the entire trip. My husband's version of fancy is a button down and khakis. I assume that I can get away with a maxi dress.

Thoughts?

Yes that will be fine. Now stay tuned for lot of other opinions which I'm sure you expected.......