Gratuities

annestis

[quote name='GUT2407']..... as long as people are acting within the rules that's their business not yours.[/QUOTE]

Nor your business. But you have appointed yourself the advocate for the "I don't want to tip" movement. If it is none of our business, why are your making what they can or can't do YOUR business? :rolleyes: Edited by SantaFeFan

[quote name='SantaFeFan']Nor your business. But you have appointed yourself the advocate for the "I don't want to tip" movement. If it is none of our business, why are your making what they can or can't do YOUR business? :rolleyes:[/quote]

Show me ONE post where have sad don't tip. What I have said s it is their choice and if they don't want to they can go to the pursers desk and have them removed it is people like you who say that if they don't they are stiffing staff, can't afford to cruise and other such insults.

And surely the only person with a legal obligation to pay the straff is the line.

And how does one from a non-tipping culture have a moral obligation to tip when sailing within that country??

So again I ask what is the obligation to tip that you talk of?

[quote name='GUT2407']Show me ONE post where have sad don't tip. What I have said s it is their choice and if they don't want to they can go to the pursers desk and have them removed it is people like you who say that if they don't they are stiffing staff, can't afford to cruise and other such insults.[/QUOTE]

No, you said that it isn't our business how they handle tips. Which means it is not your business to tell them they can if they want, just as you are telling us it is not our business to tell them they should pay the tips willingly. Why should you be the only one who can tell everyone what they should do? Who appointed you to be the sole decider of what people should or shouldn't do? Edited by SantaFeFan

[quote name='SantaFeFan']Because we Americans are a generous group. We tip out of habit, or out of generosity. If your whining is indicative of your countrymen, it would seem that in OZ being generous is considered evil. :eek:[/QUOTE]

You may tip because of habit or generosity, but I don't. I tip if I receive good service.

[quote name='YubaSutter']You may tip because of habit or generosity, but I don't. I tip if I receive good service.[/QUOTE]

If you get ANY service, you should tip at least some amount. I find that in virtually all occasions I do get good service, so I tip the customary amount. Sometimes I get service that I would consider "over and above", and I give a bit more. For some odd reason my life has not been diminished in any way by being "generous". My hair has not fallen out in clumps, my skin has not turned yellow, and open sores haven't popped up on my bottom. Generosity is not a disease to be avoided. ;)

You should try being generous at least once. Maybe you will even like it. Well, on second thought, maybe it's already too late for you. :) Edited by SantaFeFan

[quote name='GUT2407']And surely the only person with a legal obligation to pay the straff is the line.[/QUOTE]

So, you think that having the "straff" serve a person for days while on their expensive cruise, but not pay the staff for the services being provided, is perfectly acceptable? Isn't that similar to stealing if you take their services and don't pay them for it? You already know that tips are the majority of the staff's pay. Yet you think it perfectly reasonable for people not to pay the staff for the benefits they are getting from the hard work that is personally being providing to them. An amazing value system you have. Edited by sloopsailor

[quote name='annestis']Oh my!! All this banter makes me not want to ask ?. I was not trying to get out of tiping, I just don't know how it works. So if I do t prepay, how r they paid after cruise?[/QUOTE]

Do not let any of the banter discourage you. Tipping is a very touchy subject. Most lines will allow you to pay the tips before the cruise, or you can just let it be added to the bill. Budget $12 per person per day. You can adjust the tips up or down while you are on the cruise if you choose. You may also just hand cash to someone who you think deserves more. We will tip our cabin steward(ess) more as they really work hard.

There are some who you should not tip, such as the captain, etc.

Whatever you decide, it is your decision. Go book your cruise and have a ball!!!

[quote name='sloopsailor']So, you think that having the "straff" serve a person for days while on their expensive cruise, but not pay the staff for the services being provided, is perfectly acceptable? Isn't that similar to stealing if you take their services and don't pay them for it? You already know that tips are the majority of the staff's pay. Yet you think it perfectly reasonable for people not to pay the staff for the benefits they are getting from the hard work that is personally being providing to them. An amazing value system you have.[/QUOTE]

If you believe this to be true, then the person stiffing the crew is the cruise line.

[quote name='GUT2407']well it's considered rude by some here on CC mainly Americans.

Well let me ask what no one seems capable of answering, why don't they call it a Service Charge and not let people remove it or adjust it?

When in land how do you tip all those that you don't see?[/quote]

On Princess it IS called a Daily Service Charge.

[quote name='GUT2407']As for when in Rome, I only ever sail in Australia, so the people who don't tip are actually ones who are abiding with your When in Rome policy, also why do so many visitors here insist on tipping as if they are at home?[/quote]

Well, it might be the fact that when you get your charge slip there is a line there to put your tip on. Ya, that might be why we do it. Don't want us to tip then perhaps you shouldn't have a line that says "tip" with a space to write it in.

I know the restaurants I went to in Sydney all had them. Quite frankly after reading up about your country I was both surprised and I was quite uncomfortable not to tip. Maybe if you really don't believe in tipping in your country when you print out the bill there should NOT be a place to ADD the tip.

Please don't tell me this doesn't happen. After our New Zealand/Australia tip I came back to the CC boards to make my comments. Tons of Aussies came on and told me I was a liar until a handful admitted that, yes, in Sydney they do have a tip line.

[quote name='YubaSutter']If you believe this to be true, then the person stiffing the crew is the cruise line.[/QUOTE]

Not at all. The crew sign a contract where the salary is agreed upon, with the expectation that the majority of people will tip appropriately to add to that salary. Your attitude is an insult to the staff who know much better than you or I how the process works, and willingly agree to it. They agree to the process, and expect the passengers to agree to do their part of it as well. The cruise line is NOT the one stiffing the crew. The non-paying passengers are. There is no debating that simple fact, no matter how much you try to twist the truth. Edited by SantaFeFan

[quote name='sloopsailor']"Tip police" Some people sure like to toss that phrase around when they don't agree with those of us who believe that tipping is the appropriate thing to do. I would counter that the people who feel obligated to use that phrase should then be called "Tip Mafia". Bullying, name calling, intimidation, and passing judgment on those of us who encourage people to do the right thing - that to me certainly earns the "Mafia" label.[/quote]

If you don't like the name don't read it. You belong to the group that advocates tip like I do or you are a cheapskate.:rolleyes: Who says tipping is the right thing to do, YOU?:rolleyes:

[quote name='navybankerteacher']Good point! It does seem that people who resent suggestions about leaving the service charge in place like to use derogatory language such as "tip police" as a defense mechanism -- much as similar-minded people who adhere to the "my vacation, my rules" concept like to toss in the "clothes police" perjoration at anyone who is so offensive as to suggest complying with the dress code.[/quote]

You have no idea how important your opinion is to me.;)

[quote name='SantaFeFan']Not at all. The crew sign a contract where the salary is agreed upon, with the expectation that the majority of people will tip appropriately to add to that salary. Your attitude is an insult to the staff who know much better than you or I how the process works, and willingly agree to it. They agree to the process, and expect the passengers to agree to do their part of it as well. The cruise line is NOT the one stiffing the crew. The non-paying passengers are. There is no debating that simple fact, no matter how much you try to twist the truth.[/QUOTE]

so, you think it's the passengers responsibility to pay the employees and not the employer. Its apparent that logic doesn't work with you. Next cruise, I'll tell the cruise that SantaFeaFan will cover my GRATUITY because of their generosity and habit. Edited by YubaSutter

[quote name='YubaSutter']so, you think it's the passengers responsibility to pay the employees and not the employer. Its apparent that logic doesn't work with you. Next cruise, I'll tell the cruise that SantaFeaFan will cover my GRATUITY because of their generosity and habit.[/QUOTE]

Cruise ship salaries are not much different than waiters getting $2/hour in the U.S. Rest is made up in tips.
Does the tipped staff have to pay taxes on their grats? Land based waiters have to pay US taxes on their tips.

[quote name='YubaSutter']so, you think it's the passengers responsibility to pay the employees and not the employer.[/QUOTE]
[SIZE="3"]Do you [I]REALLY[/I] think that if the full salary were paid by "the employer" it would come out of corporate profits? No. The additional costs would be included in higher cruise fares. Then the TA would get a cut because the commission would be more, middleman cuts, taxes higher.... In the end, the passengers would pay either way. The current system, while not perfect, costs passengers less. ;) [/SIZE]

[quote name='SadieN']Cruise ship salaries are not much different than waiters getting $2/hour in the U.S. Rest is made up in tips.
Does the tipped staff have to pay taxes on their grats? Land based waiters have to pay US taxes on their tips.[/QUOTE]

$2/hour is surely illegal? It is in most western countries.

[quote name='chrispb']$2/hour is surely illegal? It is in most western countries.[/QUOTE]

$2/hr (if indeed the case) perhaps but they also get free room and board, medical coverage, airfare to & from home country plus other fringe benefits and of course tips. The package would work out to be a much higher amount than the hourly wage on paper. Edited by sfaaa

[QUOTE]$2/hour is surely illegal? It is in most western countries. [/QUOTE]

Perfectly legal and the norm in the US. Nearly all of a restaurant waiter's income in the US comes from gratuities, so no tip, no income.

[QUOTE]What a sad turn this thread took. [/QUOTE]

Agreed. These tipping threads always degenerate, and usually rather quickly. And no one ever seems to bring anything new to the conversation. Just the same old arguments for and against. Edited by cruzeluver
spelling

[quote name='cruzeluver']Perfectly legal and the norm in the US. Nearly all of a restaurant waiter's income in the US comes from gratuities, so no tip, no income.
[/QUOTE]

Soon to be $15/hr if certain political camp has its way. The days of $0.99 burger at the local fast food joint is destined to be old history. Same will happen to cheap cruise price if cruise ship workers get a big raise.

[quote name='chrispb']$2/hour is surely illegal? It is in most western countries.[/quote]

actually I think it is like $3.37 but yes for the most part waiters/waitresses are only paid that much per hour and are expected to earn the bulk of their income via tips it's a totally whacked out logic but a few friends of mine who are waitresses actually average out about $30 an hour and that is AFTER they 'pay off' their helpers(* the bus boys, etc) in a typical mid range family friendly restaurant.

High end (5 stars) can earn $50 an hour

managers do this to keep the prices of their meals reasonable

a few places have gone to a different model, paying their wait staff at least minimum wage, and making it clear that tips are no longer expected the jury is still out on fairness and whatnot

[quote name='sfaaa']$2/hr (if indeed the case) perhaps but they also get free room and board, medical coverage, airfare to & from home country plus other fringe benefits and of course tips. The package would work out to be a much higher amount than the hourly wage on paper.[/quote]

we were referring to land based venues.