Life jackets

dakrewser

The life jackets don't have to be worn to muster. Your room steward should provide the children's life preservers. If they're not in your room, just ask.

Don't cruise for a couple of years - and EVERYTHING changes!

No life jackets at muster

No sandwich making in the deli

No Dinner jacket required in the MDR

Next you'll be telling me that the yum yum man is gone :confused:

The children's life jackets should be in the cabin. But sometimes they have to wait to see the proper size for the children's life jackets. Ask you cabin stewards and they will bring them right away.

It has been at least 3 years since we have not had to take our life jackets to the life boat drill.

Darn - a quick look shows it was April 2012 when we last cruised - a T/A on the Ryndam. How time flies!

Someone mentioned in passing in a thread about muster stations that HAL no longer requires you to wear your life jacket for mustard drill. Is that so?

We've sailed on HAL for over 30 years. I don't ever remember a "mustard drill". Nor do I recall a drill for any other condiments. ;)

Don't worry, HAL will make it abundantly clear what you need to do for the Passenger Emergency Drill. They don't expect anyone to research this before boarding a ship.

We've sailed on HAL for over 30 years. I don't ever remember a "mustard drill". Nor do I recall a drill for any other condiments. ;)

Well there is a reception for the "old salts" but pepper and ketchup get no respect...

Darn - a quick look shows it was April 2012 when we last cruised - a T/A on the Ryndam. How time flies!

I can't tell you the date but for sure it was long before that on our cruises.

I remember distinctly on our cruises in 2012 + there were no life jackets.

I'm quite sure that it was earlier than that as I am recalling a cruise where I was pleasantly surprised. But for sure carrying these dangerous things with the dangling straps has been gone for some time

Don't worry, HAL will make it abundantly clear what you need to do for the Passenger Emergency Drill. They don't expect anyone to research this before boarding a ship.

I recommend a visit to the Mustard Museum in Wisconsin. (mustardmuseum dot com)

The yum yum man is evident on every cruise I have taken, most recent in Dec last year. They are one of HAL's hidden treasures and hope they also never get rid of the chimes announcing dinner. There are times they get called away to help with something but have seen maitre d's manning the station.

1994/1995 Christmas Cruise combined with World Cruise in the s.s. ROTTERDAM. There were FOURTEEN BOAT DRILLS. Not must muster.... full drills. Lifejacks worn on. 50% of lifeboats were swung out at embarkation deck. Once in a while.... equipment from the boats displayed for everyone too see... immersion suits, emergency radio transmitter, lamp, sea anchor, hatchet, water dippers, food rations etc. First drill at embarkation on first port... and then at each segment throughout the cruise.. (four months). From then... weekly... or close to it is practical.

Call me weird, but I enjoy muster drills. Besides the important information presented (if some pax will just keep quiet), such as where your lifeboat is located, it's proof-positive that the long-awaited voyage is beginning.

On Princess we met in a lounge for their so-called muster drill. it didn't have the impact of a HAL muster drill.

Mrs M

Our most recent lifeboat drills lasted nearly 1/2 hour as they had missing passengers.

I have a walker/rollator and can sit down. But DH's Parkinson's has gotten worse and his balance doesn't allow him to stand in one place for any length of time even though his medications have been increased.

Not on all the ships. My life jacket had those dreadful long ties when on the Westerdam this past April

Really? Ours didn't. Strange since we were on the same cruise. :confused:

Not on all the ships. My life jacket had those dreadful long ties when on the Westerdam this past April

We were on the same cruise and we had the buckle type life jackets. In fact, I haven't seen the old tie type in years. Not since we first went to Bermuda on the Veendam in 2010 -----and during that voyage the old life jackets were being removed from cabins and the new buckle type were being added.