NCL Star moving from Owners Suite to 2 insides

Mandy923

On all other cruise lines, we choose 1 balcony and 1 inside (for the kids). But on NCL, the suite perks are so awesome we have always chosen a suite. We booked during a really great promotion on March- Owners suite- with all 5 of the "choose your freebie" thing (including $200 OBC) for a total of $4650 (including taxes/ port charges) for the 5 of us (kids are 18, 10, 7)

Here's the dilema: I lost my job in April! It was only P/T and I run an e-commerce business from home, as well- so we are still doing OK- but I just priced out 2 insides and it saves us about $1700. We could even add the UDP and still be ahead by a long shot.

But I think the suite price is really an amazing deal, and I'd hate to give that up too....

So my question is- has a family cruised on NCL with their family, in insides and not felt like they were going to kill each other. LOL.

My husband and I have cruised CCL insides on short duration cruises, when it was just the 2 of us- and I actually loved being able to take a nap in the middle of the day in complete darkness.

This is also a pretty port intensive cruise, so I can't imagine we'd be in the room a lot. But I will admit, I LOVE having a bathtub. I soak and soak in that thing.

just a suggestion See if there are any SJ family suites without balcony available on your cruise. You would keep your great suite perks and have a large wall of windows. Bathroom is big with tub and separate shower. Sliding wall and curtains to provide some visual privacy. Should cost way less than owners suite.

I would move to two insides for a multitude of reasons, but the main reason being two bathrooms! Secondly the Caribbean isn't a once in a lifetime cruise so I would pocket the extra money for something else, especially because you are down income at the moment. Third, even though you will have lots of space you are still without a balcony.

Very good points. I appreaciate them!

All suites sold out for our sailing- so no choice to move to another suite category.

I also was just looking at our booking and the promotion included all grats paid. Isn't it $18/ pp per day now? So that's $630....hmmm.

I didn't factor in our grats for the insides. So saving less than I anticipated at first.

2 insides would give us the 2 bathrooms, but no tub. LOL

But I am in money saving mode, at this point- so any "extra" may just have to be forfeited. We're even considering DRIVING (12 hours for us) something we NEVER do, bc I hate driving more than 4 or so hours.

Yes- I realize I'm having serious 1st world problems over here too

Mitsugirly cruises with her family on NCL insides and posts extensive reviews about the experience. They've done it many many times and everyone is still alive and looking forward to the next cruise, so that's a good sign.

It depends on your situation and how dependent you were on that other job? Are you now living off some savings? Do you have 6 months worth of income saved? Would this cruise, have you take a hit on a retirement account? etc etc Questions to ask yourself.

I see some pretty "interesting" mentions on this board, about limited funds, for a variety of reasons, and what I consider some pretty poor decisions. My standard of living is important to me, I don't compromise with any touring, I want to take, But my money is still going in the bank/to investments in my case. This is MY choice. You will have to figure out what will work best for you.

Edited by Budget Queen

On all other cruise lines, we choose 1 balcony and 1 inside (for the kids). But on NCL, the suite perks are so awesome we have always chosen a suite. We booked during a really great promotion on March- Owners suite- with all 5 of the "choose your freebie" thing (including $200 OBC) for a total of $4650 (including taxes/ port charges) for the 5 of us (kids are 18, 10, 7)

Here's the dilema: I lost my job in April! It was only P/T and I run an e-commerce business from home, as well- so we are still doing OK- but I just priced out 2 insides and it saves us about $1700. We could even add the UDP and still be ahead by a long shot.

But I think the suite price is really an amazing deal, and I'd hate to give that up too....

So my question is- has a family cruised on NCL with their family, in insides and not felt like they were going to kill each other. LOL.

My husband and I have cruised CCL insides on short duration cruises, when it was just the 2 of us- and I actually loved being able to take a nap in the middle of the day in complete darkness.

This is also a pretty port intensive cruise, so I can't imagine we'd be in the room a lot. But I will admit, I LOVE having a bathtub. I soak and soak in that thing.

You don't say when you're cruising so be sure to check your final payment date for your suite, which is probably different than non-suites. It should be on your invoice. If it's already past, you'll have to factor in the penalty fees for canceling your cruise and rebooking inside cabins.

I also was just looking at our booking and the promotion included all grats paid. Isn't it $18/ pp per day now? I didn't factor in our grats for the insides. So saving less than I anticipated at first.

No the DSC is not $18pp per day. It has gone up twice this year and as of August 1st is $13.50 pp per day. Suites are $15.50 pp per day.

The promos in your current deal are worth a fair amount. If you switch to the insides you will use some of your savings on drinks, specialty restaurants and the DSC. But with the suite, you will need to budget extra $ for tipping the butler and concierge.

Edited by herdingdogmom

Are you in an OS or DOS?

I think you'll regret going to insides. With a suite, don't you also get excursions? In an inside you'll have grats to pay, just 1 perk. everything will come out of pocket in a different way than the price of a suite.

You don't get any excursion benefits with a suite. Unless there's a specific current promo to that effect.

Here's a thought.....what is your final payment date?

If you're not past the suite final payment date, put another reservation on the pair of insides (yes, you'll need to pay deposits) and then when you hit the final payment date, you can make a decision. Maybe you'll find another income source by then.....

It depends on your situation and how dependent you were on that other job? Are you now living off some savings? Do you have 6 months worth of income saved? Would this cruise, have you take a hit on a retirement account? etc etc Questions to ask yourself.

I see some pretty "interesting" mentions on this board, about limited funds, for a variety of reasons, and what I consider some pretty poor decisions. My standard of living is important to me, I don't compromise with any touring, I want to take, But my money is still going in the bank/to investments in my case. This is MY choice. You will have to figure out what will work best for you.

Did the OP ask for financial advice? I thought she was looking for information on families in inside cabins................

just a suggestion See if there are any SJ family suites without balcony available on your cruise. You would keep your great suite perks and have a large wall of windows. Bathroom is big with tub and separate shower. Sliding wall and curtains to provide some visual privacy. Should cost way less than owners suite.

Excellent suggestion. We were in one of the SJ suites on the Star transatlantic in April and loved it. Lots of room. Murphy bed plus pull out sofa. Pull out walls and curtains to divide the room into private sleeping areas.

I would verify that ALL grats are included in your package. I booked a suite last March for an upcoming cruise and the Gratuities were for the first 2 persons booked in the suite. You could be billed for the 3 additional persons in your room which would add an additional 325.50 to the cost of your cruise. You may have all gratuities covered but I wanted to bring this up, just in case.

I also was just looking at our booking and the promotion included all grats paid. Isn't it $18/ pp per day now? So that's $630....hmmm.

I didn't factor in our grats for the insides. So saving less than I anticipated at first.

Did the OP ask for financial advice? I thought she was looking for information on families in inside cabins................

MONEY is the entire reason for this post. Perhaps- These points should be considered. It was ONLY a suggestion.

Here's a thought.....what is your final payment date?

If you're not past the suite final payment date, put another reservation on the pair of insides (yes, you'll need to pay deposits) and then when you hit the final payment date, you can make a decision. Maybe you'll find another income source by then.....

I don't think a new income source will matter. All she lost was a part time job. That should not make or break a cruise which could obviously not truly been a burden in the first place or it wouldn't have been booked.

First off I am sorry you lost your job and hopefully will find something that works for you and your family.

I have always cruised insides with 3 kids and just recently took a cruise with my boyfriend and our soon to be blended family with 6 kids (6,8,10,11,13,17) and did connecting insides. We did not kill eachother but it was tight, especially my cabin with the older kids. Sharing only 2 bathrooms with 5 girls is tough!

I understand your financial dilemma as right now I am booked on Thanksgiving cruise 2016 on the Star which has been cancelled. I got such a great deal on an SJ with the perks that moving to two insides on another cruise would cost me just the same.

You have to figure out what you are comfortable with.....but it is possible to cruise in 2 insides with 5 people and still have a really great time. All of the kids were ready to cruise as soon as we got off if that tells you how they were impacted by the whole insides situation! Good luck!