Flowrider Question

I bet if enough people requested an adult session for 26 and over they would do it. For one of our cruises I wrote RCCL in advance to ask about stand-up times on Liberty (for a 3-night cruise) and they wrote back saying it is completely at the sports deck staff's discretion when stand-up surfing is offered. If there is enough demand, I bet they would do it.

In hte meantime, I am booked to Norway next May / June on the Navigator. Freezing my bottom off to keep the wife happily sailing ships with a flowrider.

Yikes....

jc

Hey JC, with this Flowrider thread going on the past few weeks I couldn't wait the 4 more weeks for my Oasis cruise so I went down to Albuquerque for the weekend to get my fix. While there one of the riders from ABQ that I know said that he was on Navigator 3 weeks ago and won BOB. He said the staff said they are now getting enough decent riders every week to start doing it. So that may be good news for your trip next year, and definitely good news for anybody planning to sail out of FL. Also makes me feel better about my March Liberty cruise out of Galveston.

Hey JC, with this Flowrider thread going on the past few weeks I couldn't wait the 4 more weeks for my Oasis cruise so I went down to Albuquerque for the weekend to get my fix. While there one of the riders from ABQ that I know said that he was on Navigator 3 weeks ago and won BOB. He said the staff said they are now getting enough decent riders every week to start doing it. So that may be good news for your trip next year, and definitely good news for anybody planning to sail out of FL. Also makes me feel better about my March Liberty cruise out of Galveston.

This is really good news. If they are getting riders that are good that hopefully means that they will have advanced sessions as well. I will make sure to post back here how our November trip goes on the Navigator(only 61 days to go). If this one goes well we will be very likely to book the 9 day southern route for 2017.

• 1 month later...

Are you allowed to bring your own boogie boards on the flowrider?

This will be my first time on the Anthem.

Thanks,

-Jim

73 degrees in Buffalo today, we tied a record for the highest temperature for the date set back in 1938. Who need the Caribbean?

Are you allowed to bring your own boogie boards on the flowrider?

This will be my first time on the Anthem.

Thanks,

-Jim

73 degrees in Buffalo today, we tied a record for the highest temperature for the date set back in 1938. Who need the Caribbean?

We took 2 stand-up boards and a boogie board on Oasis last week. All are Flowrider brand boards to avoid any issues.

However, this trip one of the staff told me I had to sign a waiver to use my own boards. When I went to sign the waiver, it specifically said it is for non-WaveLoch/Flowrider boards. So I ended up not having to sign the waiver after all.

So bottom line, if it's a WaveLoch/Flowrider brand board you should be Ok, if it isn't, hopefully you won't have an issue or will just have to sign a waiver.

" on Oasis last week." "the staff told me I had to sign a waiver to use my own board"

I had this same experience on the Oasis in May 2015 with my MAK stand up board. Can anybody confirm if this waiver is used on other flowrider ships?

I had this same experience on the Oasis in May 2015 with my MAK stand up board. Can anybody confirm if this waiver is used on other flowrider ships?

We were on Allure this March (b2b) and May/June this year and I didn't have to sign a waiver for my stand up flowrider boards. We were on Indy this October and again I didn't have to sign any waivers for my flowrider stand up boards. The one crew member thought I might have to, but when I went to the sports desk they said I didn't have too. I sailed Oasis a year ago and no waver there either. For the three ships ships they did take a look at them prior to my first riding. I don't know if it was to confirm that they were flowrider brand or if they were checking them out prior to trying them out later in the week.;)

I also won the BOB when on Indy, a first. A couple of times I have come in second to the cute 13 year old girl who just goes up an down the wave. At 42 I am rather excited with the win.

They told me Indy has the fastest wave on the RC fleet at 40 miles an hour. It also had a bad rooster tail, but once I figured it out it was all good.

Allure had sports desk crew member with a Mak board. I got to ride it and it was a good board. My friend got to see his Ash with no waver either, this was March of 2015.

Edited by A&L_Ont

We were on Allure this March (b2b) and May/June this year and I didn't have to sign a waiver for my stand up flowrider boards. We were on Indy this October and again I didn't have to sign any waivers for my flowrider stand up boards. The one crew member thought I might have to, but when I went to the sports desk they said I didn't have too. I sailed Oasis a year ago and no waver there either. For the three ships ships they did take a look at them prior to my first riding. I don't know if it was to confirm that they were flowrider brand or if they were checking them out prior to trying them out later in the week.;)

I also won the BOB when on Indy, a first. A couple of times I have come in second to the cute 13 year old girl who just goes up an down the wave. At 42 I am rather excited with the win.

They told me Indy has the fastest wave on the RC fleet at 40 miles an hour. It also had a bad rooster tail, but once I figured it out it was all good.

Allure had sports desk crew member with a Mak board. I got to ride it and it was a good board. My friend got to see his Ash with no waver either, this was March of 2015.

Congrats on the win.:)

Just so I have a better idea of how they load riders on the flowrider:

<> I assume they have assigned times for different levels

<> How many riders are on the wave at any time?

<> How many times during the day is the flowrider open?

Thanks,

-Jim

Depends on the ship. On oasis class, the port side flowrider is stand-up all day, one rider at a time. The starboard side flowrider is boogie board all day, 2 at a time with divider.

All other classes you, typically stand-up 8 or 9 til 11 and 3-6 with the first hour being "advanced". 11-3 boogie board, 2 at a time with divider b

At 42 I am rather excited with the win.

Well, since we're bragging....[emoji1] I picked up my first BOB crown last week as well. The 48 year old guy finally beat the teenagers this time after many tries. I thought my boys would beat me out, especially my youngest who had the cute factor, and also had just won the Boogie 360 contest immediately before BOB with a ship record of 32 360s in one minute (they said the previous record was 12).

I hadn't seen the Boogie 360 before, but it's nice for them to now have a competition for Boogie boarders too.

Well, since we're bragging....[emoji1] I picked up my first BOB crown last week as well. The 48 year old guy finally beat the teenagers this time after many tries. I thought my boys would beat me out, especially my youngest who had the cute factor, and also had just won the Boogie 360 contest immediately before BOB with a ship record of 32 360s in one minute (they said the previous record was 12).

I hadn't seen the Boogie 360 before, but it's nice for them to now have a competition for Boogie boarders too.

I agree about it is time to have a show with the boogie boarders. Congrats on your win. It is nice to see us old guys win once in a while. :)

For my winning run I put in conventionally started with some high carves and went into a from side stall. Then went back and forth in the stall and then stepped down the wave. I followed with a right turn 360. Then a backside stall walked down the wave backwards then walked up the wave, followed with a back and forth on the wave while still backwards. Then I threw in 10 360s to my left and then fell in coming out of it. I entered with an acid drop (new trick to me the cruise). I did more carving and ended with 12 360s with a hands over my head for fun.

I'm glad there wasn't a cute 13 year old as I'd still lose after my effort. ;)

We so have to cruise with you guys. My boys would absolutely love to be on line with you, and would be your biggest fans.

Jason has competed several times in BOB and this last trip was Kyle's first time being asked. Of course, they lost to a mid 40s woman who had the crowd factor since she went from not knowing how to surf to being able to stand up for quite a while. No real tricks or carving, but I guess her persistence won the day.

I refrain from even entering the water and man the camera/video. But I know how to cheer!!!

We're counting down the days to our Christmas cruise on Anthem. Just hoping the temps rise enough by second day to get the flowrider open.

I agree about it is time to have a show with the boogie boarders. Congrats on your win. It is nice to see us old guys win once in a while. :)

For my winning run I put in conventionally started with some high carves and went into a from side stall. Then went back and forth in the stall and then stepped down the wave. I followed with a right turn 360. Then a backside stall walked down the wave backwards then walked up the wave, followed with a back and forth on the wave while still backwards. Then I threw in 10 360s to my left and then fell in coming out of it. I entered with an acid drop (new trick to me the cruise). I did more carving and ended with 12 360s with a hands over my head for fun.

I'm glad there wasn't a cute 13 year old as I'd still lose after my effort. ;)

I went in from the top with the board backwards and immediately turned into a backside stall down to the bottoms with my arms up to get the crowd going, then did some deep carves riding the rail and threw in a bunch of Ollies jumping back and forth across the anchor at 90+ degree angles, which I had been working on all week. Did the front and backside stalls and walked the board down the wave then put my feet together at the back of the board and did some tight carves at the top of the wave. Didn't fall at all, and didn't do any 360s. Stepped off at the bottom side after splashing the staff.

The kid that came in 2nd did a show pony 360 and some carving but fell. He got bigger cheers than me since he had a huge group with him, but the staff member doing the judging gave it to me anyway. She said there was no way she was letting me lose to the kids after that run, and I wasn't going to argue since I've never won it before.

My older son fell on his ride and my youngest got third, even though he fell in the middle of his run and as he was rushing to get back on he got reversed and tried to surf goofy side.

boards.jpg

These boards were refinished right before the cruise...

Maybe I missed this info but...what is the cost for the 1 hour lesson? Also where or how do you sign up for this? We will be on Oasis in December. Thanks!

$70 last week. The way RC raises prices lately it will probably be $80 by December...:p

Just go to the sports desk and tell them you want to take a lesson. Some of the more desirable times will fill up later in the week (mornings and right after closing) but last week seemed light for lessons, as I only saw them on 2 mornings.

Edited by mil76

I went in from the top with the board backwards and immediately turned into a backside stall down to the bottoms with my arms up to get the crowd going, then did some deep carves riding the rail and threw in a bunch of Ollies jumping back and forth across the anchor at 90+ degree angles, which I had been working on all week. Did the front and backside stalls and walked the board down the wave then put my feet together at the back of the board and did some tight carves at the top of the wave. Didn't fall at all, and didn't do any 360s. Stepped off at the bottom side after splashing the staff.

The kid that came in 2nd did a show pony 360 and some carving but fell. He got bigger cheers than me since he had a huge group with him, but the staff member doing the judging gave it to me anyway. She said there was no way she was letting me lose to the kids after that run, and I wasn't going to argue since I've never won it before.

My older son fell on his ride and my youngest got third, even though he fell in the middle of his run and as he was rushing to get back on he got reversed and tried to surf goofy side.

boards.jpg

These boards were refinished right before the cruise...

Sounds like an awesome run. I wish I was there to cheer you on. It's nice to see us "older" guys getting respect. You would have had my cheer vote for sure. It also sounds like your boys had a good time too. Our son will be able to ride boogie this March for his first time. I am nervous for him but I know he will do well.

I ride regular, but can also ride goofy with good carving. I can put in one footed goofy and then ride for a bit, usually 1-2 minutes, and then transfer to regular riding. Those who ride know that it isn't easy to do, but people just watching have no idea. I have never tried an Ollie but there is always the next cruise. :D

I'm on Allure right now. Here is the private lesson info. I will probably periscope the flowrider a little over the next 8 days. @swwake314da6917fc49b7e20ee4754edc8f9c5.jpg

I am off to sign up to your account right now.

Would your account come up as Susan W? If so I am following you. I am following you under my wife's account, her name is Lisa.

Edit: it looks like your account as there are videos from Nassau with Allure docking.

Edited by A&L_Ont

That is me! I just did one of the ships in port here today. I just started periscoping so I am pretty horrible at it.

And I didn't narrate this morning coming in because people were sleeping and I was embarrassed for the people on the balcony next to me. Haha. Thanks for following!

By the way we went to the flowrider at 2:30 and the line was ridiculous. We took one run and left. Not worth it when we will be on the ship for 8 more days. On this 2-nighter, everyone is trying to do everything at least once. So we aren't rock climbing or anything that requires a line and a wait. We will just enjoy cocktails and people watching.

Edited by swwake