Changing dining times midstream

joanna111

I will be on a multi-leg Nieuw Amsterdam sailing this fall. Can I change dining times on one of the embark/debark days if, for me, it's an ongoing cruise as in I do not have a new booking number for this leg? They'll have to reconfigure all the dining anyway since some people will be leaving and some people will be joining the cruise.

We have two weeks that are very port-intensive so we're gotten anytime dining. That way we can eat early or just grab a quick meal in the Lido so we can be up early the next morning. After the two weeks it becomes a TA and then we'd love to have late dining.

I figure you guys are more likely to know than if I call HAL.:)

If you wanted to move to early dining, I'd say it's unlikely as that fills quickly and often has a waiting list. Late tends to be more available, so that improves your chances. Moving to late shouldn't be a problem. Ask the maître d' and see what he says. I'd ask fairly early, rather than wait for the day when the leg changes.

I just got moved from open/waitlisted for early to confirmed early dining for a cruise that's 3 1/2 weeks away, so that might be an indication of a timeframe when they start slotting dining waitlists and guarantee cabins.

Based on several of our experiences, it is very possible to make a move between cruises under normal circumstances. Since there are folks leaving and boarding - there is more flexibility. Of course, all of it is done through the M'D (or whatever the title is now). We spoke with him the last week of the first part of the cruise. In our experience they really try to accommodate folks who are continuing on to the next cruise or segment.

For example, one time we asked to switch dining times to eat with people we met who would have open seats at their table. Another time I asked for a different table same sitting, because my husband was disembarking (by plan) while I continued on and I was simply ready for meeting new folks (and I really got a winner table in that deal - terrific folks and we all got along so well). Another time we were at a table for 4 with two wonderful sisters, but after a number of weeks our conversations had begun to recycle. We used this opportunity to try the open seating option for a few weeks, just to try it. We did enjoy the option. Prefer the set eating/table time but would not hesitate to do the open seating if it would be better for some reason.

FWIW, I was on a Collectors' cruise when the dining room manager came to see our table mates (who were staying on) to ask them if they wanted the same table and time for the next segment or would like to change.

When we were on one of our Collectors' Cruise on the P'dam, we had an issue with the table (it was a great table - it was the table next to us that were so loud and abusive to the waiter I couldn't take it) so we were moved for the first segment to "open seating" with our fixed dining time for the entire segment. Our Asst Dining Room manager came up to us as we neared the first segment to offer us a new location and check if we were still happy with the time.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that is why some people are wait listed and then there are openings - to give options to the existing passengers?

If no one approaches you, and you decide you want to change, talk to the Asst/Dining Room Manager about two days out before the end of your cruise. He who doesn't ask, doesn't get ;)

We have done quite a few Collector's Cruises (back-to-back cruises) and we have always been asked near the end of the first cruise if we wanted to change dining times and tables.

If you aren't asked by the 3rd to last evening of the first cruise, go and see the dining room manager and give him your request.

Seeing KK's post reminded me that yes, we have also been asked on several cruises with major segments or combined cruises. In the cases I mentioned above, we talked with the DR manager before they came to our table to ask.

If no one approaches you, and you decide you want to change, talk to the Asst/Dining Room Manager about two days out before the end of your cruise. He who doesn't ask, doesn't get ;)

I agree with the advice, but not the timeframe. I would give the Maître d' a week's notice about wanting to change. The more time he has to take your request into account, the better.

On our B2B's the manager came around and asked if we wanted the same table, time, etc. at least a week before the end of the segment, as several have cited. Only once had to change tables with 2 tablemates, but kept the same dining stewards as they were excellent, as the lower level went from assigned to as you wish dining. Did have 2 tablemates change from early to late dining on a 2nd segment with no problems