Fireworks Ending on Norwegian Breakaway and Norwegian Getaway

LauraS

The NCL video for the fireworks on the Breakaway is still up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFOSvMKzI1E

In case you've never been on the ship and saw the fireworks, here's what they looked like:

Much better than a bunch of "bottle rockets." No announcement what NCL will put in its place.

Edited by Sizzlechest

Between a la carte pricing and now this de perking of NCL cruises I am starting to worry about the new CEO's direction for the company! I have a cruise on the Breakaway and Escape booked currently, I hope I'm not disappointed!

Between a la carte pricing and now this de perking of NCL cruises I am starting to worry about the new CEO's direction for the company! I have a cruise on the Breakaway and Escape booked currently, I hope I'm not disappointed!

We have our first NCL Breakaway Sunday and were looking forward to the fireworks! Heard nice things about the event. Also heard that the departure time from Bermuda was changed one hour earlier. I am now thinking this might be a bad omen. Hopefully the other activities on the ship will be very good!

Edited by Cruise a holic

We have our first NCL Breakaway Sunday and were looking forward to the fireworks! Heard nice things about the event. Also heard that the departure time from Bermuda was changed one hour earlier. I am now thinking this might be a bad omen. Hopefully the other activities on the ship will be very good!

We were on the Getaway for New Years enjoyed the Fireworks a lot! I am seeing cost cutting and revenue enhancement in NCL's future unfortunately !

This is one thing I honestly can't fault Norwegian on. Fireworks are very dangerous things, especially that kind of fireworks. If you aren't an expert in putting them together and setting them off, you could easily lose body parts or your life. Not to mention the fire hazard to the ships.

I do LOVE a good fireworks show, but even in my town I've seen fireworks go horribly wrong and you can't afford that kind of mistake on a ship at sea.

Went on the BA twice, curious to see what the big fuzz was all about in 2014, wow - that's it, lasted no more than 10 minutes. Our mini-fireworks at the local park was nicer. On 2nd. sailing, we didn't bother & I chuckle when folks wanted to book the AFT balacony to see it - not worth the money or time if doing it just for that.

As for cutting it to save NCL money, it's first world problem all over again, but a deal breaker & we aren't troubled by it - others do and I respect that. There are YT videos about the "production" show, go view it - you won't be missing much. And, this freed up the half a dozen technicians and fire/safety officers on the ship to do other things - good for all, IMO - rather see them patrolling those pools with adults & kids nearby, really.

NCL, however, needs to do a much better job communicating these changes that folks are looking forward to - for the better or otherwise, or, else, they will be the last one to get surprised if the tides & winds shifted, leaving them with many vacant & unsold cabins - and, our GEM sailing for later this year has risen by price of 30%++ lately ... new booking quoted $2,200 for midship inside for 2 - before DSC & other add-on (optional) extras for 10 nights milky run, for real. Friends said no, no thanks - vacation isn't just about cruising & being captive audience on the ship.

This is one thing I honestly can't fault Norwegian on. Fireworks are very dangerous things, especially that kind of fireworks. If you aren't an expert in putting them together and setting them off, you could easily lose body parts or your life. Not to mention the fire hazard to the ships.

I don't think the elimination of fireworks on NCL had anything to do with safety. It was all about reducing costs and increasing profitability.

Disney has done them on all their ships for over a decade very safely. NCL has also for a shorter period. Just take the right precautions and everything is fine. Yes it does cost $$. The fireworks themselves, the equipment, and the staffing to ensure it's done very safely. If it were dangerous or risky I think the cruise lines would have issues with their insurer or the insurance company would simply forbid it.

I was on the Breakaway for the last cruise with the fireworks and also the last one before the DSC increased again. However it was the second cruise that left Bermuda at 3PM instead of 5PM as it said when I booked. I only learned about this change when I arrived at the pier. It didn't affect me personally but I still didn't think it was right to change that late. If the change was announced before final payment it would have been easier to accept. I still had a wonderful cruise thanks to the wonderful crew but wish all these changes were phased in better. Really none of these changes bother me, but I think NCL could have done a much better job implementing them. Are they in such bad shape financially that they couldn't have given an 11 week notice?

We booked a group of 12 rooms because of fireworks for July 4th. Might have to change lines to find one with fireworks.

If a 10 minute fireworks display is going to be the highlight of your 7 day cruise I might suggest saving the big bucks and book a dinner cruise around NY Harbor on the 4th to see the Macy's fireworks from the water! ;-)

Well, I'm glad I didn't mention them to the kids. Kids get very fixated on things like this, and we're doing this cruise almost entirely for their benefit. I agree with a previous poster that it's very bad customer service to give basically no notice to changes in benefits. They should not change anything once you are past the penalty cancellation date, in my opinion. I don't know if this is all atypical for NCL, but the number of policy changes in the weeks leading up to my cruise is making me feel very uncomfortable about this particular line.

While it might be a bit dramatic to state "I booked for the 5 minute firework show" - I do think you have to consider that people are comparing several lines and ships and what each offers when making a decisions about booking. So when after you book and pay, certain things you thought you were booking or were going to be available, suddenly aren't or now incur an additional fee, it can be frustrating. Maybe you would have opted for a different ship or sailing if you knew what you were receiving vs what you thought you were. Now that choice has been removed without your input. Yes, things change. But there have been an awful lot of changes for Breakaway in last couple months - room service charge, increased service fees, shortened port times, no fireworks, etc. So it does read like a lot of giving up by the passengers without any giving back by the cruise line. We did book a balcony cabin because we enjoy a leisurely breakfast on the balcony...so we paid more for the cabin and will now pay more to have that breakfast. Is it a deal killer? No. Does it make me feel warm and fuzzy and that my choosing NCL matters to them? No. If I knew then what I knew today, would I have chosen the Breakaway? Truthfully, probably not.

Edited by AnnieBcruising
typo

Leaving Sunday-same as you....Departure time 2 hours earlier--don't miss the ship!!!!!!

Yes, we will miss the fireworks, although maybe not the best show is still was a very very nice thing.

No bad omen, tons of other fun stuff to do-- just have good happy party attitude. We have UBP-- so we will be very happy!

See you onboard Sunday, and at the meet & greet

Safe sailing

I'm really hoping that is sarcasm...

Not sarcasm, one of my daughters is part of the "Pyro Spectaculars" crew. They set up and set off the NYC Macy's July 4th fireworks show. She told me that if she can NOT set up the show (Plan to be on the Breakaway for July 4th) then she wants to see them. Chose that ship because of the fireworks. Right now she is getting ready to set off fireworks for the NYC Broadway opening of Hamilton.

I am getting married on the Getaway in December. My fiancee going to pretend they were setting off fireworks for her wedding. It is what made her want NCL over Carnival. She is super disappointed. I wish they didn't have lots of no refundable money from us already.