Capt. Peter Bos leaving Oosterdam

cruisin'mama

Just wanted to let anyone who is going on the Oosterdam and was excited that Capt. Bos was going to be you captain know that on the night before our disembarkation' date=' he announced that he would be leaving the ship with us on Aug. 2nd and moving to the Noordam. What a shame for those who have Alaska cruises coming up on the Oosterdam...he was great![/quote']

Well, seems Mr and Mrs Ozcruizer will be in luck regarding Peter Bos. He was Captain on the Oosterdam early this year when we did NZ and also received our Bronze Medallions from him. He was Captain on the Volendam a few years ago on another cruise we did, and now we will be joining the Noordam in Hawaii in October for its inaugural cruise to Sydney. Great news.

Ozcruizer

Super news that Captain Bos is moving to ms Noordam.

Copper do you know if Captain Bos will bring Noordam across the Pacifc, then around New Zealand??

Capt Draper will take her across the Pacific to Sydney, to Melbourne and then back across the Tasman to the Land of Oz

1996 Pieter Bos was being promoted to Master on the old NOORDAM so I deliberately booked. My first bit of advice.... "Never go any faster than you want to hit that dock!"

His first Mariner Party speech...

"Good morning and welcome to the Mariner's Party. I will now pass on the microphone to the Cruise Director!" Priceless!

A fine gentleman and a good friend. Captains like Pieter Bos are made in Heaven.

Stephen

My most memorable cruise with Pieter Bos was the trial Orinoco River cruise from Lauderdale in December 2000 in Rotterdam VI. More than the usual number of uncertainties in navigating up the Orinoco to Puerto Ordaz which he handled superbly and with plentiful informative narration. That was perhaps the most unique HAL itinerary I had, you had a bit of the feeling of a first-time explorer. Anyone else here on that trip?

Really nice to hear that captain Bos is still with HAL. I met him first on the princendam west Africa cruise in 2002 and Auckland to Singapore 2003 cruise on which I met my wife. We then met up with him again in 2006 on the Statendam between Sydney and Osaka. I was very surprised of that because in 2003 we had dinner with him and he kinda said he would be retiring soon. In 2006 he told us that the Dutch retirement system had changed and that he was working a few more years. Nine years later I never even think of asking as I thought he was gone. Glad we still have a chance. However our plans are for the Veendam in 2016 for 14 days and the Veendam again in 2017 for 78 days. Will spend 2 months on a ship in Europe in 2017 as well. That might be our chance if he is still around.

Capt. Peter Bos was on Voyage of the Vikings two years ago and did such a wonderful job of informing us of everything we wanted to know. His efforts to make a stop in Greenland were heroic and then he apologized for the necessity of missing the port. Definitely about the best and nicest capt I've met in over 800 days of cruising. He's a real treasure.

John:

Who will be Captain on the Zuiderdam for the sailing on the Sunfarer Cruises in November. That is the one that goes into the Gatun Locks. I believe it sails from FLL on November 9th.

Himself

Captain Chris Turner is scheduled Father