Capt. Peter Bos leaving Oosterdam

cruisin'mama

Just wanted to let anyone who is going on the Oosterdam and was excited that Capt. Bos was going to be you captain know that on the night before our disembarkation, he announced that he would be leaving the ship with us on Aug. 2nd and moving to the Noordam. What a shame for those who have Alaska cruises coming up on the Oosterdam...he was great!

Thanks for letting us know.

If he has to move somewhere, wish he was moving to my next ship, though. I enjoy seeing him about the ship. He's always so friendly, and seems happy to see me again.

I'm not surprised at the change since the 2 ships are swapping there locations for the Fall/Winter itineraries. Just a way to keep the Captains in a familiar area while trying to get passengers a new location to sail on their favorite ships. I have sailed on the Noordam 3 times and love it but ran out of itineraries in the Caribbean to sail on her. Might just look into Australia/New Zealand sailing if she is there for a couple of years. Cheers

Thank you for posting this news.

This is extremely disappointing. He is by far the best Captain for Alaska. In about 16 Alaska cruises on HAL we have never had a Captain who was so assiduous in pointing out wildlife, talking about what we were seeing, whether bears, whales, otters, etc. and keeping us up-to-date with possible future sightings.

And, as has been mentioned, he is friendly and about and about the ship.

On our last cruise he stayed at both VIP parties for the whole time: as we trotted off to dinner, he was still talking to pax: what dedication!

Why all the hand wringing about this? Captains go on vacation all the time, which I assume is why Bos is leaving for the moment. As far as returning to the Noordam, it will be spending as much time in Alaska as the Oosterdam. Whatever one ship's passengers lose other HAL Alaska passengers will get back.

Roy

Why all the hand wringing about this? Captains go on vacation all the time, which I assume is why Bos is leaving for the moment. As far as returning to the Noordam, it will be spending as much time in Alaska as the Oosterdam. Whatever one ship's passengers lose other HAL Alaska passengers will get back.

Roy

Fine. good point. Now I have to switch to the Noordam!

Just wanted to let anyone who is going on the Oosterdam and was excited that Capt. Bos was going to be you captain know that on the night before our disembarkation' date=' he announced that he would be leaving the ship with us on Aug. 2nd and moving to the Noordam. What a shame for those who have Alaska cruises coming up on the Oosterdam...he was great![/quote']

Yes, he's going to the Noordam, because she's moving to Australia and New Zealand which is his favorite part of the world, he can now compete with the Pacific Jewel and Aria (just kidding). Cpt Draper will be on the Oosterdam plus one other captain.

Yes, he's going to the Noordam, because she's moving to Australia and New Zealand which is his favorite part of the world, he can now compete with the Pacific Jewel and Aria (just kidding). Cpt Draper will be on the Oosterdam plus one other captain.

Close, but no cigar ;) Capt. Draper will be joining Capt. Bos as NODM's two captains - NODM, as stated, will be swapping itineraries with OSDM. OSDM's two captains will be Robert Jan Kan (currently on NODM) and Michiel Willems (most recent on ZUDM)

Thank you for posting this news.

This is extremely disappointing. He is by far the best Captain for Alaska. In about 16 Alaska cruises on HAL we have never had a Captain who was so assiduous in pointing out wildlife, talking about what we were seeing, whether bears, whales, otters, etc. and keeping us up-to-date with possible future sightings.

I wanna be on his ship again!

Both times we had him for Alaska he offered a bottle of wine to the first person who found a bear on the shore in Glacier Bay. Totally appreciate his dedication to showing pax the sights. We had him for Antarctica :D

Edited by TiogaCruiser

Close, but no cigar ;) Capt. Draper will be joining Capt. Bos as NODM's two captains - NODM, as stated, will be swapping itineraries with OSDM. OSDM's two captains will be Robert Jan Kan (currently on NODM) and Michiel Willems (most recent on ZUDM)

Hi, friend

Thanks for making this difficult!

Captain Kan was super on the Rotterdam. First time we saw a Captain around the ship after dinner every night talking to the pax in the Lounges. He was a treat! Very sincere. Captain Willems was great as well, did a Q&A on a 7 day Alaska - how good is that?!

Have a nice time on the Amsterdam.

I have a strange take on this. As listed on the Future Cruise Listing, I'm booked next for a B3B on the Crystal Serenity August 6-10 Vancouver to Seward and then on around the Northwest Passage to New York. The Noordam has a Vancouver-Seward run August 7-14. I've said that if Himself was on the Noordam I'd switch to that ship, and I know Himself is a fan of Capt. Bos. This may make that eventuality a little more likely.

Roy

I have a strange take on this. As listed on the Future Cruise Listing, I'm booked next for a B3B on the Crystal Serenity August 6-10 Vancouver to Seward and then on around the Northwest Passage to New York. The Noordam has a Vancouver-Seward run August 7-14. I've said that if Himself was on the Noordam I'd switch to that ship, and I know Himself is a fan of Capt. Bos. This may make that eventuality a little more likely.

Roy

Hi Roy; just a heads up; Capt. Bos will not be on NODM during August.

A Northwest Passage is definitely on my bucket list; Enjoy!

Great, and I assume the Noordam will do Alaska next spring too?

Hi, friend

Thanks for making this difficult!

Captain Kan was super on the Rotterdam. First time we saw a Captain around the ship after dinner every night talking to the pax in the Lounges. He was a treat! Very sincere. Captain Willems was great as well, did a Q&A on a 7 day Alaska - how good is that?!

Have a nice time on the Amsterdam.

Re Captain Jan Kan: Your experience on the Rotterdam was not my experience with him on the Noordam in January.

Re Captain Jan Kan: Your experience on the Rotterdam was not my experience with him on the Noordam in January.

Maybe that is the difference between short and long cruises?

Often the Captains have to abbreviate their time with the pax on the shorter cruises.

Noordam will be doing the 7-day 1-way cruises between Vancouver and Seward, although there's enough difference in the NB vs SB ports to make a B2B a nice 14-day cruise.

Roy

Noordam will be doing the 7-day 1-way cruises between Vancouver and Seward, although there's enough difference in the NB vs SB ports to make a B2B a nice 14-day cruise.

Roy

I does, indeed! Our fav Collector's Cruise: twice per season every year -- what fun!

Maybe that is the difference between short and long cruises?

Often the Captains have to abbreviate their time with the pax on the shorter cruises.

Yes, you may well be correct. I have no idea as to what his obligations were during my 21 days on the Noordam.

Having sailed on the Noordam twice before on 10/11 day cruises with different Masters and Hotel Directors, as I have posted before on CC, I disembarked with the impression that these Senior Officers were less than guest-oriented than any of the others whom were in the same positions on any of my previous HAL voyages.

Something was "off" during these two cruises. Some on our Roll Call felt the same way.

Edited by rkacruiser

Affirm!

7-Day Vancouver roundtrip starting on 01 MAY +

7-Day Vancouver-Seward +

7-Day Seward-Vancouver

VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA

Cruising the Inside Passage

Tracy Arm

Juneau, Alaska

Skagway, Alaska

Glacier Bay Scenic Cruising

Ketchikan, Alaska

Ketchikan, Alaska

Juneau, Alaska

Skagway, Alaska

At Sea (Gulf of Alaska)

SEWARD (ANCHORAGE), ALASKA

At Sea (Gulf of Alaska)

Haines, Alaska

Juneau, Alaska

Ketchikan, Alaska

Roy

Next Summer the Noordam will be doing the run that the Oosterdam is currently doing in Alaska. The Oosterdam will be in Europe next Summer. I am glad that they are moving Pieter Bos over to the Noordam. By the way, I will be on the Noordam next Summer.

I am glad that they are moving him there. He is an outstanding Alaskan Captain.

Affirm!

7-Day Vancouver roundtrip starting on 01 MAY +

7-Day Vancouver-Seward +

7-Day Seward-Vancouver

Tracy Arm

Juneau, Alaska

Skagway, Alaska

Ketchikan, Alaska

Ketchikan, Alaska

Juneau, Alaska

Skagway, Alaska

At Sea (Gulf of Alaska)

At Sea (Gulf of Alaska)

Haines, Alaska

Juneau, Alaska

Ketchikan, Alaska

John:

The first time I did this cruise it went to Sitka both times and did not hit Haines or Skagway. That was in 2001.