Invicta Watches - Onboard Prices

My husband purchased an Invicta watch at the "sale" when we sailed on the Quantum of the Seas. When we were home, he checked prices online. The exact same watch was half the price that he paid inboard, and the onboard price was supposed to be a big reduction in price! Boy, did he feel ripped off! We called to complain about it, but there was no recourse. Lesson learned. This was the first time that we ever felt ripped off with an onboard purchase, but we are very cautious with what we purchase onboard now.

Linda

We just did a 7 night cruise on board the Brilliance of the Seas, Sept 27-Oct 4. I purchased a "Limited Editon" Invicta Pro Divers watch for US$299. Now I feel robbed after seeing the same watch at our local Costco here in Winnipeg for $189 Canadian dollar. The only difference I guess would be the words "Limited Edition". Is there anything I can do to get back the price difference?

http://www.starboardcruise.com/support/customer-service/royal-caribbean/refund-and-return-information/

We just did a 7 night cruise on board the Brilliance of the Seas, Sept 27-Oct 4. I purchased a "Limited Editon" Invicta Pro Divers watch for US$299. Now I feel robbed after seeing the same watch at our local Costco here in Winnipeg for $189 Canadian dollar. The only difference I guess would be the words "Limited Edition". Is there anything I can do to get back the price difference?

If you get your money back you are not going to "learn your lesson". Also, you will be a better consumer if you do not.

$110 lesson learned - life experience - move along :)

Invictas are way high on their MSRP compared to the quality you get. A Big watch doesn't mean well made. And big discounts, doesn't mean a good deal. Also with invictas, every time I see a table of those yellow boxes, at least one of them will have loose watch parts in the dial like a second hand or something. Poor quality IMO.

Also, buyer beware. If you bought it at the listed price, it wasn't a ripoff. Just a poor buying judgement. If you know what you are buying, you can get a good deal and I have numerous watches from cruises that were a 'good' price. At lease the same or lower than I would have paid elsewhere.

Plus they have a price match guarantee, but I don't know all the details. It was posted earlier. Never had to use it.

Edited by m*u*g*

• 1 year later...

Buyer beware! MSC offered for sale an INVICTA PRO DIVER 8928B for the manufacturer's suggested retail price of 1,449 euros. Leaflets delivered to my cabin promised discounts on Invicta watches of 'up to 75%', and this watch could have been mine for 549 euros. I ordered one over the Amazon from Amazon for 100 euros...550% less.

They also offered the INVICTA PRO DIVER 9094 with a suggested manufacturer's retail price of 499 euros for a reduced price of 150 euros. On the internet the same watch also costs 100 euros.

The ship sells the same Invicta, Citizen, Omega..... watches that you would buy back home. And while the prices on the ship may be higher, they should also be considered a reputable dealer. Are you suggesting that the ship sells lower quality "grey market" watches than what you would buy back home?

Any idea of the shipboard price on an Omega Speedmaster?

Most people have Wifi while on board. Google the model number of the watch and you will be able to see if you are getting a deal or not. The model numbers can be found on the inside of the watch back.

I have found that many of the Invictas for sale on ships are discontinued models. When you see S. Coifman watches be advised that they are owned by Invicta Watch Group.

There are a lot of options and different models of Speedmaster and probably a $6,000 range in prices. Quoting a price without the full model and options (band, material) can be misleading. Need to know the full watch specs. so you can compare apples to apples.

Quartz will always be more accurate then a mechanical watch.

There are a lot of options and different models of Speedmaster and probably a $6,000 range in prices. Quoting a price without the full model and options (band, material) can be misleading. Need to know the full watch specs. so you can compare apples to apples.

Quartz will always be more accurate then a mechanical watch.

Is quartz certified for EVA's?

I know, I'll never go to space, but I'll never dive at 300 meters either. It's just good to know that I can. 😉

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

If you do your research, Invicta watches do not have a good reputation for quality. If you like the look go ahead and buy. But these watches are nowhere near the category of a Tag or Tissot or even a Citizen. One poster mentioned it keeps better time than a rolex, maybe a new york chinatown rolex, but no way a real one.

If you do your research, Invicta watches do not have a good reputation for quality. If you like the look go ahead and buy. But these watches are nowhere near the category of a Tag or Tissot or even a Citizen. One poster mentioned it keeps better time than a rolex, maybe a new york chinatown rolex, but no way a real one.

I'm not defending Invicta they are indeed low end watches. But as long as it's running a quartz one would be just as accurate as most any watch including much more expensive ones like Tag and Rolex.

Edited by bouhunter

I'm not defending Invicta they are indeed low end watches. But as long as it's running a quartz one would be just as accurate as any Tag or Rolex.

Thats not entirely true. Just because its a quartz watch does not make them equal. Higher end watches use different jewel types, more jewels, better overall movements. I think the point was that because of the MSRP people tend to compare them to Tag, Rolex, Tissot, and other higher end watches, but they are not even close and people should not be fooled by the MSRP. Ans the other thing, these watches are no longer made in Switzerland. The movement is but the watch is assembled in Far east countries.

But if you like the look go for it, they do have very unique designs.

Is quartz certified for EVA's?

I know, I'll never go to space, but I'll never dive at 300 meters either. It's just good to know that I can. 😉

The Speedmaster certified for EVA use by NASA was a manual wind with a Hesalite crystal (a form of plexiglass) that scratches horribly, but can be buffed out. A Speedmaster reference 105.012 was worn by Aldrin on the surface of the moon; Armstrong's watch stayed onboard Eagle as a backup timer. Quartz didn't come around until several years later...

The modern version of that watch with a newer handwind movement retails for $5250.

(Yes, I'm a watch geek.)

I was looking at the Amazon deal of the day like I do on most days and noticed that Invicta watches are on sale.

Where do I know that name from? Oh yeah...from my Royal Caribbean Cruise where I learned about fine time pieces from Invicta and what an incredible sale the ship was having on them.

Amazon has tons of them for $59.99 to $74.99. (Today only)

See for yourself here:

www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/

Some of them have list prices of $1495.00, some list at $795.00, and other list at $495.00 or $595.00.

Either way it seems like the ship prices are WAY HIGH on these.

What am I missing?

Ship prices are way over priced.

The Speedmaster certified for EVA use by NASA was a manual wind with a Hesalite crystal (a form of plexiglass) that scratches horribly, but can be buffed out. A Speedmaster reference 105.012 was worn by Aldrin on the surface of the moon; Armstrong's watch stayed onboard Eagle as a backup timer. Quartz didn't come around until several years later...

The modern version of that watch with a newer handwind movement retails for $5250.

(Yes, I'm a watch geek.)

$4,400 with presentation box

f0a5076b862378fecdfb47160fc3426c.jpg

Ain't it pretty.

b570de831f1b3a23f0247ef98498b9ba.jpg

$4,400 with presentation box

f0a5076b862378fecdfb47160fc3426c.jpg

Ain't it pretty.

b570de831f1b3a23f0247ef98498b9ba.jpg

With Swatch Group cracking down on Omega pricing, and forcing dealers out by opening brand boutiques, that's a pretty good price.

There was a time not so long ago that no one would even look at an Omega for less than 20% off MSRP. In fact, you can do 24% right now at one of the most reputable grey market dealers. I keep debating on a Dark Side of the Moon, but a Breguet 3817 has been calling out to me lately...

How do grey market dealers get their supply? The one above can easily be found for $3,500 online. The Omega outlet sweetened the deal by shipping case home, it's big 😱 , and providing $200 voucher for jewelry store next door.

We're now (thankfully) getting well away from Invicta, and it's not another tipping thread...

Grey market dealers typically provide an outlet for dealers to liquidate inventory they can't move. The manufacturers vary from total prohibition and near violent response, to benign neglect that this occurs. Let's say you're a jeweler in Tulsa (totally made up) and want to carry Omega watches because you believe you can sell their Seamaster line, primarily the Planet Ocean and maybe the Aqua Terra. To become an authorized dealer, you're probably going to have to commit roughly 6-8 linear feet of display case, a window display, probably a brand specific wall behind the display case, and, most importantly, to purchase 30 of more SKUs of watches, only about 6-8 of which will be your much desired Planet Ocean and/or Aqua Terra. But, to keep getting those, you need to sell the ones you have, AND some DeVille's, Constellations, Speedmasters, etc. There are people who will buy the watches you can't sell, probably around your wholesale price, and then sell them without papers, but typically their own warranty. You've now moved inventory and can get more of the watches you wanted, and people who shop the grey market can get a Speedmaster at 25% off the list price.

It's a very bizarre business model, but appears to not be uncommon in the field of "luxury goods"...

Interesting, I still haven't heard how much the moon watch goes for onboard. I'm guessing somewhere in that $4,400 window.

Is the seamaster comparable to an aquaracer?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Edited by John&LaLa

Interesting, I still haven't heard how much the moon watch goes for onboard. I'm guessing somewhere in that $4,400 window.

Is the seamaster comparable to an aquaracer?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

The Planet Ocean competes with the Rolex Submariner. The Aqua Terra with the Datejust and maybe the TAG Carrera.

I would expect 10-15% off U.S. retail based on past experience. Not all ships carry Omega, and it's been a couple of years since I've been on a Caribbean cruise, so they may not be common onboard.

If you're into watches at all, 15% off MSRP is not unusual at all for most brands at a dealer versus a brand boutique. Rolex, Panerai, and a few others not so much...

I'm really not into watches, but since I live on the Space Coast, I really want a moon watch. I'm sure I'll regret having to wind it. But heck, my Tag is stopped half the time anyway.

Seven years old on July 20, 1969. I want one, too...

At least the Speedmaster Professional doesn't have a date, so it's not that big a deal to wind it, set it, and take off...