Eating on the Lido..

volmoma

But the buffet isn't "outside"...once you choose to eat somewhere other than the buffet area you are making the decision to carry your food and drinks to somewhere "you" want to be and so "you" want it easier and more convenient. No one is forcing you to eat outside either.

There are tables right outside the door of the buffet area. But, it wouldn't matter even if we sat inside (which we do too) because we still have to carry our food and drinks to the table which could be just as far. (Also, the breakfast buffet on the Fascination is outside.)

Never said anyone was forcing us to eat anywhere. Why is it such a problem to have trays available for those who need them?

There are tables right outside the door of the buffet area. But, it wouldn't matter even if we sat inside (which we do too) because we still have to carry our food and drinks to the table which could be just as far. (Also, the breakfast buffet on the Fascination is outside.)

Never said anyone was forcing us to eat anywhere. Why is it such a problem to have trays available for those who need them?

Its probably not a "problem" but it is a choice, for whatever reason, that Carnival has made. And to go back to your earlier post Carnival does provide an alternative to a buffet for those who don't like or find it difficult to "use" the buffet. Just because you choose not to use the dining room doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. I love the "taste bar" on the Dream class ships exactly because it affords a nice alternative and makes it easy to get a salad or a sandwich without changing clothes and you only need to walk a few feet to a table either inside or outside.

my husband and I just work it out together, no big deal. I understand why they got rid of the trays and I wish I could understand why people have to take so much food at one time and then not eat it. Didn't your parents teach you to take what you can eat because you can always go back for more? Less wasted food maybe we can keep prices down!:rolleyes:

I agree that having a tray tends to make some of us take more than we can eat - and waste a lot of food.

I think the plates are large enough for most and we can always get back in line if we feel we need more.

I agree, though, that it is a bit of a trial for those with multiple kids or helping someone with a walker or wheelchair. Just an extra trip or two to the buffet.

As people in another thread stated, if you do need help, you can ask crew members and even other passengers. Crew members certainly will help you. Most of the passengers are willing to help too.

As people in another thread stated, if you do need help, you can ask crew members and even other passengers. Crew members certainly will help you. Most of the passengers are willing to help too.

I do know that crew members have helped before. Last cruise (when Mom was in wheelchair), our server from dinner saw us and came right over to help and pushed her through the line.

I just hate taking them away from what they are doing as they are always so very busy. Especially when we can assist her ourselves if we just had a tray.

FWIW - I totally agree about the folks taking a ton of food and then tossing half of it. I don't think they need to have the trays out for everyone, but it would be nice to have them available for someone to ask to use one for the examples above.

Crew members are there to help in these situations. DH was on crutches on our last cruise and was never without help going through the buffet line. (I thought I was going to have to get food for both of us.) Crew is obviously trained to observe situations where someone needs help due to a disability - and if they fail to notice, you can and should ask for help.

Does anyone know why Carnival got rid of the trays on the Lido? It was so much easier to handle your plate and drinks when they had them..wonder if they will ever bring them back???

I was a little aggravated by it too but most of the time I'm able to use their platters, what you're calling a plate, as a tray. I feel a little weird putting my food directly on the tray. I often get a bowl to put my food in so I can put my milk carton and coffee on the platter without getting it in the food.

The only problem I have is being a single traveler, I have more than once went to get a cup of coffee for my breakfast only to return to find my plate has been removed by the staff.

But the buffet isn't "outside"...once you choose to eat somewhere other than the buffet area you are making the decision to carry your food and drinks to somewhere "you" want to be and so "you" want it easier and more convenient. No one is forcing you to eat outside either.

That's crazy! Are you seriously suggesting that a person is inappropriate for wanting to have the option to eat at all of the available dining locations while on their vacation. For those who must assist somebody else it is very difficult without the tray but that shouldn't take away all of their dining options of their vacation other than the main dining room and he is not inappropriate in any way for complaining! You know, we have laws in the US which require businesses to have reasonable accommodation for disabilities and I would definitely feel this is one of those instances where accommodation is needed and reasonably easy for the business to provide.

Edited by Jana60

The only problem I have is being a single traveler, I have more than once went to get a cup of coffee for my breakfast only to return to find my plate has been removed by the staff.

I'm a solo traveler as well... on my last cruise, I made up a little sign on my computer (I even had it laminated).

You are welcome to use mine if you want!

Table%20sign%20copy.jpg

I wonder if Carnival looked carefully at it all if they would determine that the removal of trays has actually cause an increase in the waste of food? I know that I've seen people load their plates to the hilt, put it down, go get two more plates then head to get pizza. My wife and sat down to eat a bite, saw a family with about 20 plates around them. They took a bit from each, the kids were running here and there... I got up to get some water for the wife and when I came back the family was gone and more than half of the plates seem untouched but had enough food for another six. Pizza, salad, hot food, cheese plate, sandwiches, etc. 2 plates of desserts and more than I could mention.

If Carnival is going to continue without the trays could they at least get rid of the "tray racks" in front of the food or at least make them solid so you could lay your plate on them?

Edited by bobsfamily

I'm a solo traveler as well... on my last cruise, I made up a little sign on my computer (I even had it laminated).

You are welcome to use mine if you want!

Table%20sign%20copy.jpg

Wonderful idea, if I see it on the next cruise my wife and I will join you!

I wonder if Carnival looked carefully at it all if they would determine that the removal of trays has actually cause an increase in the waste of food? I know that I've seen people load their plates to the hilt, put it down, go get two more plates then head to get pizza. My wife and sat down to eat a bite, saw a family with about 20 plates around them. They took a bit from each, the kids were running here and there... I got up to get some water for the wife and when I came back the family was gone and more than half of the plates seem untouched but had enough food for another six. Pizza, salad, hot food, cheese plate, sandwiches, etc. 2 plates of desserts and more than I could mention.

If Carnival is going to continue without the trays could they at least get rid of the "tray racks" in front of the food or at least make them solid so you could lay your plate on them?

It was a waste of water, detergent and manpower.

Silverwear goes into hubbies pockets and than after we get food bring to table and than go for drinks.

A bit of a pain but we have learned to deal with it

Silver goes on my hubby's pockets too!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Edited by DHnDWplus2

The last few cruises my husband and I took were with his using a walker. I would go to get his breakfast at the buffet and many times when I came back to the table, there would be coffee and juice there because a crew member brought it to us. They have even offered to get him breakfast.

Having trays for some people, even if they need them, would cause more problems. Who is to determine who needs a tray and who doesn't? People are always afraid of being cheated and there are so many schemers onboard that I feel those really needing them wouldn't get them because the entitled would be taking them. It's better to have none.

I would ask for a tray if you need one. I think that is the best option. I also think that they should be available to you if needed. BUT.... we all know that there are "those" people who will feel slighted that they didn't get a tray too so they will demand one. And so on and so on....

Less waste would be a good reason, now that I think of it.. I just wonder how many lbs of wasted food per cruise??

I'm sure a lot, but due to food safety rules, food out has to be thrown away after a few hours (it depends how long based on the item) whether it was on your plate or a serving dish.

I too like the trays so I can get drinks, utensils, and food.