Eating on the Lido..

volmoma

Does anyone know why Carnival got rid of the trays on the Lido? It was so much easier to handle your plate and drinks when they had them..wonder if they will ever bring them back???

No trays = less items that need to be cleaned. Plus, carrying just the plate seems to equal smaller portions.

It's the way much of not all of the industry has been going. Don't look for them to return.

Years ago when no trays were new to HAL, we figured a good way to do breakfast. We used a bag that carried our boxes of cereal, utensils, cartons of milk. It freed up our hands, and made it easier. :)

Edited by CRUZBUDS

No trays = less items that need to be cleaned. Plus, carrying just the plate seems to equal smaller portions.

Less waste would be a good reason, now that I think of it.. I just wonder how many lbs of wasted food per cruise??

It's the way much of not all of the industry has been going. Don't look for them to return.

Years ago when no trays were new to HAL, we figured a good way to do breakfast. We used a bag that carried our boxes of cereal, utensils, cartons of milk. It freed up our hands, and made it easier. :)

Thanks for the tip about the bag.... I am usually having to go up to line several times just to begin breakfast. I do not like my food touch, so I always need 2 plates; then of course needing hands for a drink and utensils.

Thanks for the tip about the bag.... I am usually having to go up to line several times just to begin breakfast. I do not like my food touch, so I always need 2 plates; then of course needing hands for a drink and utensils.

Funny, it is what it is...[emoji486][emoji477]️[emoji505]

You can always order something from room service and just keep the tray in your cabin. Or some even bring trays from home.

I use room service to get a coffee pot...which I leave in the cabin at the end of the trip.

Thank you!

Lots of reasons the trays went bye-bye. The one that bothered me the most with trays is that people would pile their tray so high with multiple plates, drinks, desserts, flatware and then would try to balance it....saw more trays hit the deck then food actually get to the tables. The nice thing about a buffet is that you don't have to load up on one trip.

....saw more trays hit the deck then food actually get to the tables.

That sounds like a bit of a stretch and I don't believe it. Yes, people had accidents using the trays but to say there were more accidents than people successfully getting their food to their tables using trays is wrong.

Less waste would be a good reason, now that I think of it.. I just wonder how many lbs of wasted food per cruise??

The food that's not eaten isn't exactly wasted. That is, it doesn't go to a landfill somewhere. Leftover food gets ground up and fed to the fishes.

My opinion, it was wayyyyyy too much waste. I can't believe how much food some people can fit onto a plate. Looks like a mountain sometimes (do they think the food will all be gone if they don't put it on the plate the first time?). Then they would have all kinds of extra bowls and cereal boxes. When some were finished you would see a lot of the food untouched, maybe a bite taken out of them.

Personally, I prefer no tray. So what if you have to walk a few extra steps to get a drink or to go back to the buffet. I consider it to be exercise.

Does anyone know why Carnival got rid of the trays on the Lido? It was so much easier to handle your plate and drinks when they had them..wonder if they will ever bring them back???

They tried it years ago when the Triumph and Victory came out, and many many many complained. Soon they returned.

I have no problem with the slightly larger plates.

Personally, I prefer no tray. So what if you have to walk a few extra steps to get a drink or to go back to the buffet. I consider it to be exercise.

Unfortunately, if you are assisting someone else, it is a real pain. My mother has MS and whenever we are at a place with a buffet type situation, I carry the tray with both hers and my plates and filled cups. Last cruise, she cracked her pelvis 6 weeks before we sailed. She had no problems sailing, but had to use her wheelchair. It was almost impossible to get us all eating at the same time because of this.

I plan to keep a tray from room service and use it at breakfast & lunch. I wouldn't mind if they didn't have the trays out, but it sure would be nice to be able to get one if you ask. Think about those parents with multiple kids. Give each parent a tray and the problem is solved. Otherwise, by the time everyone is through the line, the first person is already done eating.

Edited by TerReuv

Unfortunately, if you are assisting someone else, it is a real pain. My mother has MS and whenever we are at a place with a buffet type situation, I carry the tray with both hers and my plates and filled cups. Last cruise, she cracked her pelvis 6 weeks before we sailed. She had no problems sailing, but had to use her wheelchair. It was almost impossible to get us all eating at the same time because of this.

I plan to keep a tray from room service and use it at breakfast & lunch. I wouldn't mind if they didn't have the trays out, but it sure would be nice to be able to get one if you ask. Think about those parents with multiple kids. Give each parent a tray and the problem is solved. Otherwise, by the time everyone is through the line, the first person is already done eating.

sounds like it would be better for you to eat in the dining room.:)

sounds like it would be better for you to eat in the dining room.:)

But, we shouldn't have to eat in the dining room. We would rather eat on the lido. That is the point. We shouldn't be forced to eat in the MDR when we would prefer the lido just because they won't have trays available for those who do need them. (Note I said "need" not "want".) It is very easy to take a look around the buffett line and be able to tell who would benefit from having trays.

Why should I have to go and change out of my bathing suit and clean up to go sit inside to eat a salad that I am happy eating outside without having to change clothes or anything. One of the things we all enjoy while on a cruise is dining outside.

And I know some would say no need to change, but if I am going to the MDR, I would not go with a swimsuit and a coverup. I just don't feel that is appropriate. Other than the fact that I get cold easily and would probably feeeze in that attire! :D

They tried it years ago when the Triumph and Victory came out, and many many many complained. Soon they returned.

I have no problem with the slightly larger plates.

You must not have cruised in the last couple of years , The trays are gone ,2 years now that I know of

But, we shouldn't have to eat in the dining room. We would rather eat on the lido. That is the point. We shouldn't be forced to eat in the MDR when we would prefer the lido just because they won't have trays available for those who do need them. (Note I said "need" not "want".) It is very easy to take a look around the buffett line and be able to tell who would benefit from having trays.

Why should I have to go and change out of my bathing suit and clean up to go sit inside to eat a salad that I am happy eating outside without having to change clothes or anything. One of the things we all enjoy while on a cruise is dining outside.

And I know some would say no need to change, but if I am going to the MDR, I would not go with a swimsuit and a coverup. I just don't feel that is appropriate. Other than the fact that I get cold easily and would probably feeeze in that attire! :D

But the buffet isn't "outside"...once you choose to eat somewhere other than the buffet area you are making the decision to carry your food and drinks to somewhere "you" want to be and so "you" want it easier and more convenient. No one is forcing you to eat outside either.