ADVICE NEEDED; 12 night cruise from Cape Liberty, NJ to Galveston, TX

katiakaterina

Good day everyone,

I'm new and I joined this forum a few minutes ago to ask all you experienced sea folk some questions. We are looking at a cruise right now for November 1st to November 13, a 12 night cruise from Cape Liberty, NJ to Galveston, TX on the wonderful Liberty of the Seas. We usually cruise from Florida, because we live in South Carolina and just leave our car in Florida and pay the parking until we come back and head back home to SC.

Problem with this cruise is transportation. We are going with a group of almost 20 people (about half are children) and I cant seem to figure out an inexpensive way for all of us to get to Cape Liberty, NJ from South Carolina and then from Galveston, TX to South Carolina. Plane tickets are way too expensive especially since we are splurging on the actual cruise itself and tickets aren't cheap, especially kids at full price.

If only we could take our car on the cruise with us. :rolleyes:

Bus isn't cheap either, about $100 per person, and neither is the train. I was looking into renting a van but that's like $200-$300 a day, not including gas. I'm really trying to figure out an affordable way to get to our cruise and back home with no problems.

Its a unique situation, I know, but I would greatly appreciate any tips, tricks, advice, etc.

Many Thanks!

Sounds to me that you covered all your options, and if all are too expensive, I can't think of any other way to do what you want. To be honest, buses are a pain, as you don't find many direct trips, and you're stuck stopping in every city and town along the way, plus you have the hassle of changing buses. And I just can't see 10 kids traveling that long on a bus. In addition to the daily charge of a rental vehicle, you'll face what's known as a drop off charge. That is a charge you get when you pick up a car at one location and leave it at another. The most we've been charged for that was $275.

Are you traveling with different family member groups? If so, why not let them handle their own transportation issues, and you handle yours?

If you have not booked the cruise yet I would shop around for something that starts & ends in the same port then you can drive to the embarkation port

The cruise you mention there is no easy way to get there you either have to fly or pay the prices for other methods of transportation

You have some cheap airline in the USA maybe one of them flies to those cities at a bargain price

Good luck

Your post is a wonderful explanation of Repositioning Cruises :). They have pros and cons, The pro is that they are often heavily discounted and among the best bargains in all of cruising. The con is that you have to deal with an "open jaw" transportation issue which sometimes makes the total cost actually more then a normally priced cruise.

When you are dealing with Bayonne and Galveston there are no easy solutions. Sorry,

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I would speak to the cruise line with no other choice. Sometimes (and I emphasize sometimes) they get cheaper airfares because the airlines give them better rates on the one way flights. But since the $100 a person for the bus is too much for you, I think you are out of luck.

I believe Oasis is coming to the Cape Kennedy port next year. Maybe you should save up to cruise on that ship. Everyone will love it and it will be a lot less hassle.

is it November this year or 2016? I don't have any transportation ideas but we live near Galveston and might look at that trip. what ship?

RCCL LIBERTY OF THE SEAS

12 Night Skyscrapers & Rodeos Cruise

Leaving From

Cape Liberty, New Jersey

Ship

Liberty of the Seas

This is 2015, I don't think they are doing this in 2016

Guest maddycat
RCCL LIBERTY OF THE SEAS

12 Night Skyscrapers & Rodeos Cruise

Leaving From

Cape Liberty, New Jersey

Ship

Liberty of the Seas

This is 2015, I don't think they are doing this in 2016

Correct. When the Liberty of the Seas leaves NJ for Texas it will be replaced by the Anthem of the Seas. The Anthem will be home ported at Cape Liberty, Bayonne, NJ year round starting Nov. 2015.

Yes, passports would be needed as this is not a closed loop cruise.

As someone who is from NC and has lived in Texas for 20 years I can tell you that flying is your best bet for getting back to SC. You have two airport options from Houston. Hobby is closest and is the airport used by Southwest. The other is IAH - George Bush International. Hobby is closer than IAH. Both will cost you quite a bit in transportation to the airport. There are numerous shuttles but none will be cheap. Megabus from Houston can get you as far as Atlanta booking separate legs and standing around outside for a considerable amount of time in New Orleans with your luggage.

With 20 people you might look also at the cost of a bus charter. There really is not an inexpensive option for 20 people traveling 1200 miles.