Phone Hot Spot (Internet) on Ship in Alaska Ports?

GreySkies

I'm curious if I can get onto the internet using my phone (AT&T) as a hot spot from the ship while in port or if I have to get off the ship while in Alaska. I'd like to send emails to family, but don't want the high cost of the ship's internet.

Thanks,

I'm curious if I can get onto the internet using my phone (AT&T) as a hot spot from the ship while in port or if I have to get off the ship while in Alaska. I'd like to send emails to family, but don't want the high cost of the ship's internet.

Thanks,

If you can get a good enough shoreside cell signal, yes no problems.

Thoughts.....

• no problems with ATT in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan ports. It's the preferred carrier.
  • no coverage in Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay. Shortly after leaving the above ports coverage ends.
  • You can get Canadian roaming coverage along Vancouver island and Prince Rupert. But coverage is best on outside cabins or the top deck. Roaming does not work for prepaid plans.
  • if roaming is a concern.... go to manual carrier selection to avoid paying ship roaming charges.

I would make sure you have data roaming turned OFF just in case your phone connects to the ship or other foreign cell tower. This way you don't download 7 days worth of email on a roaming connection.

Excellent advice. My friend from Toronto told me last year he ended up getting a bill from his phone company for over C$450 of charges from his Alaska land tour and sea cruise when he didn't know he was supposed to turn off his data roaming switch. He thought all that was "free" with his plan. He sure learned the hard way.

It really depends on your carrier and plan.... need to double check. Canadians with US travel passes are limited to a few hundred megabytes.

This year, some Canadians have the benefit of extending their home plans for US use for $7 a day.

While most travellers use less data on vacation.... others will use more due to Google Maps and researching the day's itinery.