HAL no longer requires formal dress

Jade13

Who gives a hoot? Me and a lot of other people. Which is why they have the policy. If " nobodies" care, why do you think the policy exists?

Do you always pick and choose which rules you want to follow?

Well, it's a damn shame that you'll let your vacation be affected by what someone else wears to dinner. If I ever see anyone crawling around in the dinning room inspecting everyone's pants under the tables, I'll know who it is. :D

We all pick and choose which "rules" we want to follow. Have you never exceeded the speed limit (which certainly could affect others much more than someone not following the dress come)?

And how do you feel about Stop signs and Red lights?

My point exactly. If you struggle (as it appears you do) with the difference between safety rules and recommendations for dress, you should follow all rules and recommendations just to be safe.

The only point I ever tried to make is why does anyone ever care what someone else is wearing? If someone wears a polo and dark jeans instead of slacks, who gives a hoot? Nobody's time should be ruined and sure as hell the ship ain't gonna sink. ;)

Works for me. I'm cruising to relax not impress folks.

Dan

We all pick and choose which "rules" we want to follow. Have you never exceeded the speed limit (which certainly could affect others much more than someone not following the dress come)?

I wondered how long it would be before you invoked the "speeding" issue.

I'm done.

Lawduck - why do you think a dress code / guidelines exist?

As guidelines, so the Type A's don't overly fret over what to pack and wear. It's like a "suggested serving size" on a box of cereal. If you eat a little more or less than the suggestion, nobody is going to die.

As guidelines, so the Type A's don't overly fret over what to pack and wear. It's like a "suggested serving size" on a box of cereal. If you eat a little more or less than the suggestion, nobody is going to die.

And do you feel the same way about land based restaurants? Would you walk into a five star restaurant in shorts?

And do you feel the same way about land based restaurants? Would you walk into a five star restaurant in shorts?

I can't think of a single restaurant in Portland or Seattle that wouldn't welcome me with jeans on--or a HAL restaurant for that matter, which makes this whole discussion moot.

Currently on the Eurodam. 99% of the gentlemen wore jackets on Gala Night. It is so nice to cruise with civilized, considerate passengers!!!

Last months 10 day cruise on the Oosterdam the percentage was nowhere near that. But it was less than 50%. Each ship and itinerary seem to be different. Wore my collared shirt and slacks and didn't feel out of place, No one rolled their eyes or whispered under their breath. Had a great time.

Dan

Currently on the Eurodam. 99% of the gentlemen wore jackets on Gala Night. It is so nice to cruise with civilized, considerate passengers!!!

Thanks for the update. It's always good to know what's actually going on "in the real world."

This might be a good analogy if the MDR was a five star restaurant, but it is not.

So what defines a five star restaurant? What makes a difference between a high end steakhouse and an Outback? Or a fine italian restaurant and an Olive Garden?

I would argue that the MDR is closer to the former than the latter. The service is attentive; the menu is and interesting ; the execution Is as good as could be expected given the volume.

Is it " five star" ? No, but it certainly is above average. And once or twice a week it attempts to be more. And if the cruise line requires that people respond with above McDonalds attire - as many comparable land- based restaurants do - it is obnoxious not to comply.

Edited by JPH814

Last months 10 day cruise on the Oosterdam the percentage was nowhere near that. But it was less than 50%. Each ship and itinerary seem to be different. Wore my collared shirt and slacks and didn't feel out of place, No one rolled their eyes or whispered under their breath. Had a great time.

Dan

Am curious as to how you know that no one rolled their eyes at you or whispered under their breath. Doubt that you were trying to see/hear negative reactions to your minimum dressing. Just sayin'.

I really don't care what anyone wears anymore. I used to. I understand the ambience comments and do not dismiss it but I have been able to stop caring.

What I do not understand is why a grown man or woman is so vehement in their determination to wear shorts to a cruise ship dining room. When you book a ship that sets the table with starched white tablecloths, lovely stemware, beautiful dinner set, monogrammed flatware at each table setting, don't you expect to dress appropriate to that atmosphere? Why would you not want to present yourself in an adult, courteous, appropriate manner? Is it such a torture to put on a pair of long pants? What is worth all this babble about you have to be comfortable that has never explained what is so miserable about putting on a pair of dockers/trousers/slacks and a shirt with a collar?

Is it just to be stubborn and 'get away with doing it your way" or are you really so miserably uncomfortable?

It seems so childish from where I am sitting.

Edited by sail7seas

I really don't care what anyone wears anymore. I used to. I understand the ambience comments and do not dismiss it but I have been able to stop caring.

What I do not understand is why a grown man or woman is so vehement in their determination to wear shorts to a cruise ship dining room. When you book a ship that sets the table with starched white tablecloths, lovely stemware, beautiful dinner set, monogrammed flatware at each table setting, don't you expect to dress appropriate to that atmosphere? Why would you not want to present yourself in an adult, courteous, appropriate manner? Is it such a torture to put on a pair of long pants? What is worth all this babble about you have to be comfortable that has never explained what is so miserable about putting on a pair of dockers/trousers/slacks and a shirt with a collar?

Is it just to be stubborn and 'get away with doing it your way" or are you really so miserably uncomfortable?

It seems so childish from where I am sitting.

I so agree with you Sails👍🏻

Denise:)

This comment is offensive and condescending. Posting of insults should not be acceptable to the monitors of this thread.

Neither should your comment. If you think it's out of line then hit the red triangle. It seems that far to many folks feel the need to take on the moderators role. They do a fine job. I see nothing wrong with Ithaca girl's post. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it condescending.

:confused: What is offensive? I didn't read that post until you quoted it but it is a simple statement that shouldn't offend anyone unless they consider themselves to be uncivilized or inconsiderate. I didn't see the poster directed the comment at anyone specific, did they?

I also think it would have been fine if you had posted the entire quote and not snipped it without indicating you had taken out some of what was written.

I just went back and found the whole quote:

Ithaca Gal

Nicely dressed

Edited by sail7seas

:confused: What is offensive? I didn't read that post until you quoted it but it is a simple statement that shouldn't offend anyone unless they consider themselves to be uncivilized or inconsiderate. I didn't see the poster directed the comment at anyone specific, did they?

I also think it would have been fine if you had posted the entire quote and not snipped it without indicating you had taken out some of what was written.

I just went back and found the whole quote:

Exactly. I find a lot of posters seem to like to use the words offensive and condescending to put down posters and opinions they don't agree with.