Volendam Lanai cabin - who's sailed in one?

Moriah

Calling all lanai cabin cruisers (I'll be on Volendam - but perhaps they are all the same?) Can't wait to try this kind of cabin for the first time next week out of Vancouver. Then I'll be able to say I've sailed in ALL of HAL's cabin categories except Pinnacle(Penthouse) suite (I have, however, spent lots of time in those with friends who have sailed in them, and I would jump at a decent upsell, but wouldn't otherwise pay the premium I don't think. But I digress!) So my questions (arising from packing which started today!):

1. Do we still have two nightstands in the cabin? And does each have 2 drawers?

2. Does the desk "chair/ottoman" open up and can be used for storage?

3. Do the beds have the large drawers underneath

4. Is there room under the beds for large suitcases?

5. Is the closet configuration similar to a regular ocean view or balcony cabin? (3 closets across from bathroom, one containing the safe and shoe basket, etc.?, and the other two having fold-up shelves?

Any other comments or facts about the storage/closets/furniture in the new lanais would be most appreciated!

One additional question:

I understand that the key to the second door (the one leading to the promenade deck) is separate from the key used for the hall door and that the hall door key is the only one having credit card info, etc. it its chip. Can the outside door key be punched with a hole for a lanyard? I am planning to carry both of them on one if so...

Thanks in advance everybody!

:)

Edited by Moriah

I haven't been on the Volendam but we did have a Lanai on the Rotterdam and the Veendam. They were both similar except for the way the sliding door opened. On the Rotterdam it was a lot easier to open the door than on the Veendam. :eek: (At first I thought it was broken, it was just harder to pull open).

On the Veendam (the last ship we were on) there were two night stands with two drawers in each. The closet consisted to three regular closets and one that was three shelves on top with the safe in the middle and three or four drawers under that (I don't remember exact number). There was room under the bed for my luggage and there were the drawers under the bed too. The hassock was able to hold things too.

The beds are set up the same as in a veranda cabin, there is a small couch and a adjustable table and a club chair. Outside you Lanai door there will be two lounge chairs that are reserved for your use (don't be afraid to tell people that they are reserved) they are marked reserved. There are no drawers under the desk area.

On the Rotterdam it was the same basic setup except there was no hassock and only the one chair at the desk. I don't remember how many closets, I think there may have only been three because I don't remember the drawers on that trip and I was surprised about them on the last cruise. The one think that I liked about the lanai cabin is the fact that there was room to store my husbands wheelchair out of the way. I hope this has answered your questions.

PS

The door key for the lanai door cannot be punched for a lanyard. There was a slot by the door (on the Veendam) to leave it when not in use. My lanyard has a plastic sleeve that I kept it in when I used that door. We only got one on the Veendam but we had two on the Rotterdam. Also like your room card do not put it near any magnetic surfaces or it will not work. They will charge you if you lose the card too.

Edited by Traveling Dot
missed one question

On the Veendam (the last ship we were on) there were two night stands with two drawers in each. The closet consisted to three regular closets and one that was three shelves on top with the safe in the middle and three or four drawers under that (I don't remember exact number). There was room under the bed for my luggage and there were the drawers under the bed too. The hassock was able to hold things too.

Thanks! I'm glad we'll still have the small drawers in the nightstands as I had already been told there are no drawers in the desk, so it seems storage is in short supply in the lanais... I assume the Volendam lanais are identical to the two ships you were on, so this is very helpful.

We're also considering a Lanai cabin on the Volendam - may I ask a question myself? = I recall to have read that there are no fridges in the Lanai cabins. Is that true? For medical reasons ( to store medication) we always need a fridge in the cabin. I'm not sure if HAL offers them in all kinds of cabin categories below balcony cabins.

Thank you for your answer.

Answering for veendam (375):

I'm still scratching my head over where one safely plugs in a refrigerator. The one plug is at the desk. ( I don't count the one way up in the bathroom). IIRC the side tables are 16" and the "loveseat" is 42".

The card key to sliding door was in an envelope in the cabin on embarkation and had to be returned to the front desk on the last night. It was a thicker plastic than the sail card.

Edited by TiogaCruiser

We're also considering a Lanai cabin on the Volendam - may I ask a question myself? = I recall to have read that there are no fridges in the Lanai cabins. Is that true? For medical reasons ( to store medication) we always need a fridge in the cabin. I'm not sure if HAL offers them in all kinds of cabin categories below balcony cabins.

There will be no refrigerator in the lanai. You can rent one for $2 per day.

There will be no refrigerator in the lanai. You can rent one for $2 per day.

cruz chic is correct, and offers a solution if you really want a fridge. The problem is where to put it if you do rent one.

The only viable place is under the desk, in the knee hole area. The next problem is where to put your legs when you sit there. It gets tricky.

Another solution is to see if you can store your medications in the infirmary, and if their schedule will meet yours.

And one more solution is to give up the idea of a lanai cabin. You could book a cabin with a fridge (balcony and up), or possibly, another cabin with a love seat. The end table could be removed and a fridge put there, or the fridge placed on top of the desk, over the drawer area.

You would lose some desk space, but at least could sit there and use the remaining desk space.

Edited by RuthC

... and that the hall door key is the only one having credit card info, etc. it its chip.
I don't think this is true. The hall door key card has no chip, and I believe the magnetic stripe carries nothing but the code to open the door lock. Edited by catl331

Grayjay, I asked about the refrigerator question for our stateroom. Although there is one available on the ship for our category, they can't guarantee the constant temperature some medications require so HAL has said that we can store that medication in the medical facility at no charge and pick up his weekly dosage syringe as we need it. I hope this helps. I was afraid it would cost us an arm and leg to use the medical facility but as it turns out, they are quite used to many of us who require regular shots.

Karen

cruz chic is correct, and offers a solution if you really want a fridge. The problem is where to put it if you do rent one.

The only viable place is under the desk, in the knee hole area. The next problem is where to put your legs when you sit there. It gets tricky.

Another solution is to see if you can store your medications in the infirmary, and if their schedule will meet yours.

And one more solution is to give up the idea of a lanai cabin. You could book a cabin with a fridge (balcony and up), or possibly, another cabin with a love seat. The end table could be removed and a fridge put there, or the fridge placed on top of the desk, over the drawer area.

You would lose some desk space, but at least could sit there and use the remaining desk space.

Ruth: Since I cruise solo, do you think it would be feasible to put a fridge on top of the unused nightstand in a lanai? Hmmm... where would one plug it in?

I don't think this is true. The hall door key card has no chip, and I believe the magnetic stripe carries nothing but the code to open the door lock.

I should have said magnetic strip, not chip. But...it definitely contains more info than the door lock code (I think). When it's used for purchases on the ship, somehow it links to your credit card and not just your room number (sometimes roommates use different CC accounts...). It also contains any package info such as beverage package...

I understand that the lanai door card, on the other hand, has none of this info. I certainly hope a lanai door card is supplied for each person in the cabin!

But...it definitely contains more info than the door lock code (I think). When it's used for purchases on the ship, somehow it links to your credit card and not just your room number (sometimes roommates use different CC accounts...). It also contains any package info such as beverage package...
They scan the bar code (like when you are getting off or on the ship) and that links to your on-board account with all the info. Edited by catl331

Never sailed on HAL until next week..........are you all saying that there is no refrigerator in the cabins except those with a balcony or higher?

It depends upon the ship.

On the Prinsendam, Vista, and Signature ships, every cabin has a fridge.

On the S- and R-class ships, only those cabins with a balcony have a fridge. The inside and outside cabins can rent one for $2.00 per day.

Ruth: Since I cruise solo, do you think it would be feasible to put a fridge on top of the unused nightstand in a lanai? Hmmm... where would one plug it in?

I don't know if there's room; if there is, it would be tight.

I suspect the top of the nightstand is smaller than the fridge. Besides that, the top of the nightstand has a raised rim an inch or so in on each side. That might throw a fridge off balance.

Then, too, it would be up in the head & shoulders area, humming away, all night.

The plug is at the desk. I wouldn't want a cord running across the floor where I could trip when walking around.

I don't know if there's room; if there is, it would be tight.

I suspect the top of the nightstand is smaller than the fridge. Besides that, the top of the nightstand has a raised rim an inch or so in on each side. That might throw a fridge off balance.

Then, too, it would be up in the head & shoulders area, humming away, all night.

The plug is at the desk. I wouldn't want a cord running across the floor where I could trip when walking around.

Agreed. Does anyone know if the fridge plug is American or European?