Mtd

Newby58

I have read many responses as to whether a reservation is needed or not. Some people have been turned away and had to resort to the Windjammer. Not distasterous, but not expected either. Particularly on formal nights. What are your suggestions? Traveling 10 nights in Feb 2016, Australia. Can I guess a time book it and change it?

We never make reservations and always got seated very quickly that's why I sign up for mtd I want to eat when I feel like it. But it's usually just my wife and myself if we had a group I would suggest a reservation.

There is myself, my husband and a 16y/o.

You could look at the cruise planner every morning then decide on a time around what your plans are then stop by the mtd desk outside the restaurant and make a reservation each day.

I have read many responses as to whether a reservation is needed or not. Some people have been turned away and had to resort to the Windjammer. Not distasterous, but not expected either. Particularly on formal nights. What are your suggestions? Traveling 10 nights in Feb 2016, Australia. Can I guess a time book it and change it?

Wait till you get on board and then drop down and see the MTD people to book an anticipated times if you like. Please remember to let them know if you do this and then change your mind to eat elsewhere so you don't tie up a spot if you don't plan to use it.

Just play it as you see it on board after that. Generally we have never had anything other than a short wait.

Do you mind sharing a table or do you wish to have a table for just the 3 of you? If you don't mind either way it will be easier to fit you in. The time you wish to dine will also be a factor. We like to eat early and have always received a table for 2 (or 4 on our Rhapsody cruise with the DIL and grandson) without a wait between 6-6.30.

Others may advise on what things are like between 7-8.30.

Edited by woodyren

My Time Dining has many options. Reservations can be made in advance then changed on the ship. You can eat with others or eat at your own table. You can show up at the dining room without reservations and be seated at the first available table. You can also go to the MDR on embarkation day and ask to be assigned to a specific table for all your MTD reservations (providing they're all within the same time window - i.e. early or late).

If you choose not to make reservations, you will be seated the same as going to your local favorite restaurant on a weekend night without a reservation. Depending on the time, there may be no wait, a short wait, or a long wait (during peak times). So the options are really up to you.

You may find that when trying to reserve on line, the peak desired times are showing unavailable. No worry. If you still want to reserve, just head there on Embarkation day and reserve your times then. Or, wing it and just go to the MDR each night whenever you are ready to eat and wait for a table.

We booked our times ahead on Splendour a couple of years ago and it was fine. The no booking line was slightly longer, but never seemed to take long to get seated. We showed up one night at the wrong time (I thought the info regarding our reservations would be available on the ship - it wasn't at that time, I believe that info is available now) and they were able to seat us without much difficulty or wait. I don't think you'll have an issue.

Clarea?

No disrespect intended but there are many, many members here who consistently offer excellent and relevant advice. Calling someone out by name is, in my opinion, a little awkward and embarrassing. :o Just my opinion, obviously. :)

OP to answer your question, we have had MTD on our last eight cruises (I think!) and have not made reservations, ever. The longest wait we ever had was on Mariner for about 2 minutes. On Formal Nights, yes, I would recommend the reservation, though.

What ships were they on where they said they were being turned away? That would be upsetting if you want a nice sit down meal (and not specialty)

No disrespect intended but there are many, many members here who consistently offer excellent and relevant advice. Calling someone out by name is, in my opinion, a little awkward and embarrassing. :o Just my opinion, obviously. :)

OP to answer your question, we have had MTD on our last eight cruises (I think!) and have not made reservations, ever. The longest wait we ever had was on Mariner for about 2 minutes. On Formal Nights, yes, I would recommend the reservation, though.

Point taken. Thanks for the info.

What ships were they on where they said they were being turned away? That would be upsetting if you want a nice sit down meal (and not specialty)

I can't recall at the moment as I read so many. Do you think the size of the ship matters? We will be on Radiance.

Wait till you get on board and then drop down and see the MTD people to book an anticipated times if you like. Please remember to let them know if you do this and then change your mind to eat elsewhere so you don't tie up a spot if you don't plan to use it.

Just play it as you see it on board after that. Generally we have never had anything other than a short wait.

Do you mind sharing a table or do you wish to have a table for just the 3 of you? If you don't mind either way it will be easier to fit you in. The time you wish to dine will also be a factor. We like to eat early and have always received a table for 2 (or 4 on our Rhapsody cruise with the DIL and grandson) without a wait between 6-6.30.

Others may advise on what things are like between 7-8.30.

If it means not having to make a reservation we are happy to share a table.

The only times you might want to make reservations is if you are sailing on the Oasis or the Allure. Other ships are really optional, I have not heard of anyone being turned away.

Not turned away per say, but asked to come back 3 hrs later. Thus missing entertainment etc.

Just curious, what is the difference for formal nights?

On Navigator in February, only times available were 5:30 or 8:30. Peak times already reserved. We were seated in the back with poor ventilation and no personal attention. Try to make reservations before you board. Back to traditional seating for our upcoming cruise.