Carnival welcome to solo cruisers

koss78b2

I guess if you're asking if they have any cabin availability specifically designated and priced for solo cruisers (like some other lines) then I think the answer is no (though I do seem to recall some cabins on some ships that are more single appropriate - I'm sure someone will correct me on that). Generally singles will pay the 200% supplement but there are times when (I've heard) you can get a reduced solo supplement of 150%. So I'm not sure if that answers your "solo welcome" question. :o

Edited by joepeka

IS this cruise line welcome to solo cruisers? as i am a solo cruiser?

If you've sailed on an NCL ship with the solo studios, solo rates and solo lounge, then Carnival doesn't come close to that level of attention.

You may be able to find solo rates of 150% on some Carnival sailings, but they require some persistence to find. Check goccl dot com for solo specials.

I do like their 1A interior cabins on the Conquest class ships on decks 6, 7, and 8, however. There are a tad larger than the 185 sq ft regular inside cabin, and some have the twin beds in line with the ship's direction - great for me when sleeping.

Carnival maître d's usually do a good job of putting solos together in the MDR, at least for the late seating.

You can get much more info in the solo section of CC's special interest cruising board.

I'm a solo cruiser and just booked a four-day (Key West and Cozumel) for the end of the month. I was browsing various online TA sales and found a decent price with just a 153% single supplement. A TA friend actually booked it for me; I did not use the online service. You just need to do a little research. If you check out vacations to go, they list the sales and identify the single supplement for you with just a click.

Although I've sailed Carnival before, I haven't sailed it solo. I have sailed solo on other lines. I booked the late MDR dining as I think it's my best chance to have people to chat with at dinner. But if you're not feeling social, you can choose MTD or eat in the Lido.

Good luck!

I too, sail SOLO quite often, and ALWAYS have a fantastic time aboard. I usually eat early seating, and as noted the maitre'd always does a great job of seating SOLO cruisers together, which makes for interesting conversation, and companionship. You just have to check prices OFTEN, and occasionally find great deals on SOLO trips. ;)

"SKY"

Used to be Carnival offered the 1A cabins to solos for 150%. That is how I went solo to Hawaii for $1,049 in 2007. Those days are over. I don't sail Carnival as much as I used to, because having to pay 200% for an inside as a general rule makes them less competitive than other lines for a comparable inside cabin.

Roz

I have cruised many times as a solo passenger on Carnival and loved every trip. I always get early seating and have had great dinner companions in the Main dining room. I think Carnival does a great job and I am sure you will enjoy your trip.

I wish Carnival would offer NO solo sup. I did this a few years ago, and it was amazing.

My first four cruises, all within the last 18 months, had zero single tax. These days even the 50% tax rates are rare.

To the OP, Carnival doesn't do a lot for single/solo travelers. Traditional diners seem to get solos seated with other solos (as mentioned here), but I have no experience with that, since I'm a YTD diner. They do have the occasional singles meet & mingle sessions, which I've never bothered going to. And... that's about it; just us in a sea of couples and families. It doesn't stop me from having a great time, since I'm not particularly looking for company, hand holding, or entertainment.

Carnival does a great job placing other solo travelers together in the MDR. I have sailed solo twice and have had a very nice time.

I would love if Carnival and the other lines too, would be more solo rate friendly, but I understand, there is the bottom line to consider in any business.

To get a better rate, I like to book fairly late before departure. The 2 solo cruises I have taken, one 17 days before departure and the other less than 2 weeks before, were incredible rates. These did not offer the solo rate, but were so low otherwise, that I was able to travel solo affordably.

Also, I have found that either the repositioning or the one way cruises offer much better rates for solos or non.

On my only solo cruise, the solos were scattered throughout the dining rooms, not put together at the same table. But it sounds like this was the exception to the norm. Carnival is a good cruiseline, and solos can certainly have a great time with them. Many people enjoy their solo cruises on Carnival.

But, if you're asking if Carnival tries to cater to solos, then that answer would be no, for the most part. NCL's newer ship, with the studios, would be a great example of a cruiseline trying to cater to solos. Offering reduced solo supplements regularly would be another example. Carnival would prefer to never offer reduced or 0 solo supplements, but keep checking for it. It could certainly happen, especially with the lower-demand fall & winter seasons coming up. Holidays are high demand, but before & after those are low demand.

AHOY SHIPMATES.

In 2014 I traveled SOLO several times on the FASCINATION when my DW was not able to cruise with me. I am a very mature(old fart) sailor and did 5 day B2Bs. Best deal I got was RIVERIA deck reconditioned broom closet(LOL) for the first cruise and an OV for the second one at no extra charge. Total cost was very low.(secret) I could eat that much

So far this year regular prices have almost doubled in all lower categories and there are NO solo rates. I've called several times. Had some UPSELL offers but not worth it. I have 500 shares of stock so can't complain

SEA YA

I've sailed solo on Carnival 7 times now. Occasionally, you can find solo rates with little to no solo supplement, but it's very hit or miss. Often those are last minute deals too, less than a month before sailing. My last solo cruise on the Splendor 9 months ago had a solo rate of like $299 about a month out for an 8 day itinerary, and I saw an 11 day cruise (don't remember the ship but I think it went from New Orleans or Galveston to San Juan) for $499 with no supplement for February of this year. That cruise I found at that price maybe 2 months out. When I cruise solo, I'm usually seated at dinner with other solo travelers. If you want to be seated with other solos, I'd recommend late dining and don't do your time dining. Overall I've been very pleased traveling solo on Carnival and have no significant complaints.

Edited by gapearl

on carnival for dining. can i just eat in the buffet all the time on my own time?

Yes, but the buffet itself isn't open 24/7. It has (IMHO) generous breakfast, lunch, and dinner hours, and a few snacks in the evening. There also may be a midnight buffet on one night.

The pizza outlet will be open 24/7 and the other food outlets near Lido will have their own hours.

on carnival for dining. can i just eat in the buffet all the time on my own time?

Yes, you could do that. More often than not, I cruise solo, and love it. I choose your time dining, and if I want to sit by myself I can; the host asks if I would like to share a table (usually with just another couple, on occasion I have done this). I am comfortable with myself traveling solo, but sometimes I get the impression that some of the staff aren't (or it could just be a business thing) for example, when I am eating alone, I never get asked if I'd like to get my picture taken-on my last cruise, I'd yell out to the photographer and asked him if I could take a "selfie "with his camera-:eek:this broke the ice!:D I also don't get asked by the photographers, who do the different background photo shoots-if I do want my photo taken, I ask. Maybe traveling as a single, they might think they won't make any money from me, versus asking a couple? Anyway, happy cruising! :cool: