Headed to Alaska Saturday.....take rain boots?

RN7997

Hey everyone! We are cruising out of Seattle this Saturday! I am doing the daunting task of packing ME today! I totally grasp the idea of layers (thanks to all of you) so I am getting all of that together today. If I can get ME packed and out of the way the guys in my home will be much easier:) Other females I am sure you can relate!

A few questions:

1) I ordered good waterproof rain jackets (non insulated Columbia for guys and Northface for me) that should arrive by mail today or tomorrow. How heavy of a jacket for underneath do you suggest? Do you think a tee shirt and sweatshirt under that is enough for August? In ports we are walking around Ketchikan and Victoria. Skagway tour to yukon and probably train back and in Juneau Harv and Marv boat tour if that helps.

2) I have a pair of slip on over the calf rain boots.....good idea to pack? Would be nice in port if raining but they are very heavy for packing. I wear Brooks pure flow sneakers which have a good bit of mesh and are not very water resistance so debating on best footwear for me.

I just checked The Jewel's webcam in Juneau, it looks a little misty. Sweatshirts and tees will be fine under your jacket. I would a pair of oxfords or tennis shoes and leave the boots at home.

Have a great cruise. I had a wonderful time in Alaska on Her in early May.

Bring a hat and gloves if you are planning glacier viewing .August is almost fall so be prepared ...it might be very chilly ......also seas are a tad ....rougher in August ...bring seasick meds

Expect all kinds of weather ..bringa back pack for extra clthes or place to put them in if its warm

Do not miss whale bubble feeding In Juneau Auke Bay ...fabulous

Enjoy Alaska and yukon ..glorious

Thank you!!! I am praying for calm seas but essentials are being packed!

I really hope to see bubble feeding we are booked to whale watch with Harv and Marv so we will see! I JUST got a surprise!! Island wings HAS availability! My boys have no idea I just splurged and booked a bear watching by flat plane to Neets Bay!!!!! I plan to surprise them! I hope my nerves can handle both the plane and the bears LOL

I live in the Pacific NW where we're known for how rainy it is and I don't even own rain boots! LOL. I'd never consider packing them for a vacation, but that's my personal view. I don't use an umbrella either (most of us here don't :o). I've been to Alaska three times and two of those were in August. On one of the August trips, it was a little rainy in Juneau but, we wore sweatshirts most of the time and were fine. On the other, the weather changed a lot and got as hot as 80 and down to the 50s but no rain.

It'll be cool out on the boat for whale watching. I'd be sure to take a hat and gloves. Don't count on seeing bubble feeding. That's pretty rare. I've been on several whale watches and never seen anything but backs and flukes. They were still great and I'd love to see breaching and bubble feeding someday. Just don't get your hopes up or you'll be disappointed! It took three visits to Alaska before we finally say a glacier calving, and that was spectacular and worth the wait. But, these things you hear about aren't something everyone gets to see.

On our last Alaska cruise we went with Island Wings to Anan Creek for bear viewing and it was the highlight of the trip. Have a great time!

Don't take an umbrella unless you really want to look like a tourist. A light rain jacket lined with fleece and that has a hood will work great. And yes, take rain boots ...they are great to use if you take a boat tour or get on a glacier:-) have fun![emoji106][emoji4]

A flannel lined waterproof raincoat with hood plus hat and gloves

should help with the chilly days. As for waterproof boots it depends on what you are doing. For just walking around the ports or excursions like the train I didn't see anyone in waterproof boots. For other more adventure type excursions you could always call the tour operator and ask or check on their website. Have fun.

Hey everyone! We are cruising out of Seattle this Saturday! I am doing the daunting task of packing ME today! I totally grasp the idea of layers (thanks to all of you) so I am getting all of that together today. If I can get ME packed and out of the way the guys in my home will be much easier:) Other females I am sure you can relate!

A few questions:

1) I ordered good waterproof rain jackets (non insulated Columbia for guys and Northface for me) that should arrive by mail today or tomorrow. How heavy of a jacket for underneath do you suggest? Do you think a tee shirt and sweatshirt under that is enough for August? In ports we are walking around Ketchikan and Victoria. Skagway tour to yukon and probably train back and in Juneau Harv and Marv boat tour if that helps.

2) I have a pair of slip on over the calf rain boots.....good idea to pack? Would be nice in port if raining but they are very heavy for packing. I wear Brooks pure flow sneakers which have a good bit of mesh and are not very water resistance so debating on best footwear for me.

You are probably way over doing it for August. Highs in the mid to upper 60's. Lows in the mid 50's next week. Go easy on the layers, and leave the heavy stuff at home. This time of year layers are a couple of t's and a sweatshirt. Anything more and you are going to burn up. Don't forget to take shorts.

Rain boots are over kill, unless you are doing a lot of hiking and then they are probably the wrong boots anyway. If you wouldn't wear rain boots at home when it rains you don't need them in AK. It's not like you are going to be walking through ankle deep puddles.

Wow we saw lots of bubble feeding in Auke Bay Juneau .one group literally jumped up right next to our boat ...whoa ..talk about whale breath plus these guys are huge ....wow kinda scary when you see how much damage they could o if they rammed in the boat ..they were very very close .there must have been 20 pods feeding all over the place .Our captin was Amazing ...he knew where to go and where they would pop up

I bought a jacket in Skagway but they ave them everywhere ,..fleecelined and waterproof with hood 20$ ...well worth it

They have them in Ketchican ...get 2coupon book in port ...lots of freebies given ..hats,mugsulu knives etc

I loved Alaska ...I waterproofed my running shoes with a scotch guard spray ...worked great

So go glacier viewing ...its really cool ..ours calved and we rocked and rolled

I loved Alaska and Yukon ..both magnificent

Bon Voyage

We went to Alaska in September and I must tell you, that you have overpacked. First off keep in mind weight limits for flying. Don't bother with the rain boots. We took tennis shoes, hiking boots, and flip flops and the only reason for the hiking boots is we spent a week hiking in Denali after our cruise otherwise we wouldn't have bothered. If you want to stand out as a tourist, then by all means take the umbrella, otherwise leave it at home! I did the tour with Harv and Marv and wore a t-shirt with a sweatshirt on top and tennis shoes. If you get cold, go inside on the boat. Before we even got back to shore I had ditched the sweatshirt and was thankful I wasn't wearing long sleeves. The best thing about long sleeves though is if you get warm you can pull the sleeves up.

Mind you I live in Nebraska so I have my share of insulated winter jackets. For this trip I had a non-insulated Columbia waterproof jacket. I did wear it for Glacier Bay out on the boat with my hat and gloves (again they were only worn again in Denali), but otherwise I wore it in Denali. It did rain on us in Skagway, but it wasn't horrible to the point of needing a jacket.

Most days I had on jeans or capri pants and still feel I overpacked (we were there two weeks). My lesson learned from Alaska - pack and then take half the crap out as you won't wear it! And even better don't bother bringing a sweatshirt from home - buy one in Juneau and then you have your sweatshirt and a souvenir at the same time.

Edited by tigger_ag

I JUST got a surprise!! Island wings HAS availability! My boys have no idea I just splurged and booked a bear watching by flat plane to Neets Bay!!!!! I plan to surprise them! I hope my nerves can handle both the plane and the bears LOL

You have chosen the roughest sailing potential with a round trip, Seattle cruise. I've seen many rougher sailings on this itinerary.

As for Neet's, that is new for Michelle. Neets, used to be totally contracted to ProMech. Didn't know until you mentioned this, that other vendors are now flying there. In my experience, having gone to all three fly in areas, Neets would be my third choice.

Budget Queen......thank you for pointing that out I went back and looked at the site and we are going to Traitors Cove...not Neets bay. Can you speak to this?

Are you saying the Seattle round trip is typically a choppy sail?

I went to AK in May last year and it wasn't cold to me at all. We're from Colorado so we're used to 60 degree weather in the daytime and 50s at night. I imagine if you are from Seattle, you might not be as cold as you think you will be. I wore crocks with socks when walking around the ports and was fine. I think it depends on how cold natured you are and not so much on what other people say to take with you.

Don't take an umbrella unless you really want to look like a tourist. A light rain jacket lined with fleece and that has a hood will work great. And yes, take rain boots ...they are great to use if you take a boat tour or get on a glacier:-) have fun![emoji106][emoji4]

Haha, 99.9% of the people getting off the ship are obvious tourists to the locals. No point in trying to hide what you are. A couple weeks ago hiking out to the waterfall and Mendenhall glacier it was raining pretty good. Passed hundreds of soaking wet miserable looking 'tourists' who had garbage bags, worthless throwaway ponchos or just a light jacket. They were soaked to the bone and didn't look like they were enjoying the experience at all. We had umbrellas and were happy and dry as a bone.

Do what is practical and works for you, don't ever let what others might think make your decisions for you.

I went in September 2 years ago and the only time it was really cold was while glacier watching. I didn't think it was warm enough for t-shirts and shorts like others have commented. I wore tennis shoes, but went to a sports store and bought a spray can to waterproof my shoes. I don't know if they really work, but my feet stayed dry during the light rain I encountered.

If you have time in Juneau - be sure to stop by Tracy's Crab Shack. It's walking distance from the port. They had the best crab legs - I assumed everywhere in Alaska would taste as good as theirs - but I was wrong.

Enjoy! I'm jealous!!

Haha, 99.9% of the people getting off the ship are obvious tourists to the locals. No point in trying to hide what you are. A couple weeks ago hiking out to the waterfall and Mendenhall glacier it was raining pretty good. Passed hundreds of soaking wet miserable looking 'tourists' who had garbage bags, worthless throwaway ponchos or just a light jacket. They were soaked to the bone and didn't look like they were enjoying the experience at all. We had umbrellas and were happy and dry as a bone.

Do what is practical and works for you, don't ever let what others might think make your decisions for you.

Hahaha! So glad you said this. I was reading the umbrella comments and thinking to myself, "Whats wrong with looking like a tourist??" I mean, who gives a rip what locals think. lol

Some friends of ours just got back from an Alaskan cruise and she highly recommended an umbrella. Said she it was raining so hard a few times that she wasn't sure how they would've protected their camera so they could take pictures without it. So, in September, this TOURIST is taking a small umbrella in her backpack just in case. [emoji6][emoji6]

I live in Alaska and nobody uses an umbrella which really is not a problem because normally the rain is very misty. Use an umbrella or not...nobody will care either way. The OP asked the best things to take and I have my opinion...that's all. Really don't understand the unnecessary need to be snarky.

Edited by kimberja14

Speaking as someone who apparently doesn't look like a tourist, it's not always great to be taken for a local.

On my second day in Rome a few years ago, I got stopped for directions twice. I really felt bad that, as an American, my non-English languages weren't really good enough to explain that I was just sightseeing as well.

I live in Alaska and nobody uses an umbrella which really is not a problem because normally the rain is very misty. Use an umbrella or not...nobody will care either way. The OP asked the best things to take and I have my opinion...that's all. Really don't understand the unnecessary need to be snarky.

If this was aimed at me I'm sorry you felt my thoughts were "snarky". I just found it funny that the reasons for not bringing an umbrella had to do with looking like a tourist...which quite frankly is what most of us coming to Alaska on a cruise are. [emoji4]

Instead had you (and whoever else) said as you did above that, "Normally the rain is very misty" and then explained why an umbrella may not be an essential item to bring, I, and perhaps the OP, would have understood better. But to not bring one because you don't wanna look like a tourist seemed silly to me. My thoughts, my opinion, no snark.

Personally, compact umbrellas are quite small and I plan to pack one...and would recommend the OP consider it as well. Should the rain get crazy, as it did on a friends cruise I would rather have it than not. Rain boots, on the other hand, I would leave at home in favor of some comfortable water proofed shoes. [emoji6]