Canadian crusiers

retired067

Just curious, are Canadians still booking with high US exchange rate.

Yes we are still booking. We always book in Canadian dollars. Many cruise lines also have their prices in Canadian. For example Princess is currently using 1.20 for Canadian booking prices . Actual exchange is actually 1.30.

We booked in January when the exchange was 1.10 I believe, so we're paying ~20% more if it stays this way when we pay the remainder in September. OUCH! Still glad we are going and glad we booked our flights months ago when the exchange was better. If it stays this way for a while may have to reconsider future destinations.

Our cruise last year with celebrity I book when our dollar was at par. At that point I wasn't concerned about the dollar and didn't think to have them quote us in Canadian. Two years later when final payment was due, we ended up paying an additional $3000 or so just for the exchange rate - it was a hard pill to swallow. Luckily, the difference didn't prohibit us from going. For our cruise next year, I booked in Canadian currency and will do so going forward regardless of the rate. I never want to experience that feeling of paying more. I realize it can always go the other way, but I not a huge gambler.

Happily booked in CAD$ for Feb. Reflection cruise. If exchange rates stay as they are we will likely not book a cruise for 2017 and chose an all inclusive booked with a Montreal charter somewhere warm for a week.

It's not only the base price that hurts but all the excursions and shopping too.

Hopefully, things will change with our currency.

The two we have booked are in Canadian. One at 20% and one at 10%. Both have drink packages and the Celebrity sailing I added about $700 OBC at 10%. Going forward, I don't know we just cancelled a Aussie cruise in place of a Aussie land trip. Australian dollar is worth less than a Canadian dollar so I'll be darned if I'm paying US prices for shore excursions and onboard spending. We're definitely doing more things local whereas before we would have been going to the US.

I would gladly trade some American dollars for some Canadian pure maple syrup for my waffles. :)

You book my cruise and I will bring the maple syrup... pure maple gold.

So far, yes, but there's a 2017 cruise we'd planned on booking with the kids and grandkids, a group of 12. For two of us, we can afford the higher prices, but for a dozen? The deposit will be high, but I may gamble on a correction by time the full payment is required. Or not. The election results may have an impact on what happens.

Just wondering why you wouldn't book and go package? Wouldn't it be in CDN dollars?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, but in the past we've been able to book flight independently and get a cheaper diy package price than the book and go.

If you add it all up with cruise, flights, drink package is it cheaper or better to book on your own? My wife would prefer the package cause we live in Hamilton and it's easier to fly out of Hamilton than Toronto. Are they going to offer it in 2017 and when do they come out?

Hmm. If I book directly with X in CDN, can I transfer it to my US TA and get their additional benefits?

Absolutely! The ONLY way to go!!

Just wondering why you wouldn't book and go package? Wouldn't it be in CDN dollars?

Yes, but I've only seen 7 day cruises and we like to get away for longer in the winter.

Just curious, are Canadians still booking with high US exchange rate.

Of four cruises booked, two in Cdn, two in US. Luckily, the latter are fully hedged through US dollar denominated bank accounts set up when $ Cdn was at a premium to $ US a couple of years ago. Interest rate on US account a bit lower than equivalent Cdn, but not significantly so and therefore the opportunity cost is negligible.

The cruise we are taking next March was paid in full back when the dollar was at or about .85 USD. We purposely paid for the cruise, air, hotels and anything else we could think of at the time.

If we were to look at booking the same cruise today, in no way would we book it. It is crazy to give away that much money in exchange rates on top of the price you are paying for the vacation ( in my opinion obviously ).

I'm not sure I understand those saying that it's okay because they paid in Canadian?? The exchange rate was just already built in. Maybe it just makes them feel better?

I have a feeling if the dollar continues to drop, as it should, that the cruise companies are going to have to be very creative with their pricing to entice Canadians. That should be interesting.

Our household has cancelled all travel due to the poor Cdn $ exchange rate.

While we can easily afford the $ difference, we choose not to be penalized by the still declining Cdn $.

Travel is nice, but not an essential for us. We are not obedient consumers which is what Celebrity and all westernized companies and their economies rely on.

When you consider the significant price increases in food and gas costs in Canada due to the low Cdn dollar, we are not going to deliberately accept significant price increases for travel on top of cost of living essential price increases which we can not avoid.

Further, Celebrity's recent pricing decision penalizes us as we are Elite who only take 14 day trips. We would be forced to pay for alcohol and internet services in the new base repricing which we already acquire for no additional cost as being Elite travelers on Celebrity since 1992.

So those who used to benefit from our travel are out of luck and will have to find a replacement traveler who spends as well as we have.

We put the next 5 years of travel $ into a grand new house priced in Canadian $, a purchase decision that gives benefits every day.

Travel industry, tough luck.

For those who continue to patronize Celebrity, happy and safe sailings to all. May all your trips be wonderful.

ABoatNerd

T

I'm not sure I understand those saying that it's okay because they paid in Canadian?? The exchange rate was just already built in. Maybe it just makes them feel better?

For me it means I booked a while back, therefore with a much more favorable exchange rate. Rate is then guaranteed in CAD $.