Cabins Poll

editor@cruisecritic

How much weight does your cabin have when choosing a cruise?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. How much weight does your cabin have when choosing a cruise?

• I choose my cruise line because I like its cabins.
    • It matters, and impacts my choice, but other aspects weigh in too.
    • Could care less as long as there's a bed and a bathroom.
    • Other, please weigh in below!

We tend to go with the least expensive, with a big enough window to see the world go by for those rare times we're in the cabin. That said, I have fallen in love with Uniworld's bedding. I'll put up with a smaller cabin as long as the bedding is great and there's enough places to put away our things.

We tend to go with the least expensive, with a big enough window to see the world go by for those rare times we're in the cabin. That said, I have fallen in love with Uniworld's bedding. I'll put up with a smaller cabin as long as the bedding is great and there's enough places to put away our things.

Their bedding is fab!

I have tried to vote but seems it does not want to accept my iPad or iPhone. Personally I just do not care about the cabin size as I tend to cruise alone and only use my cabin for sleeping, washing etc. I certainly accept the cabin size is important to many others and would not decry this.

It has dawned on me that if cabins were larger then ships would be constructed to carry less passengers. With the popularity of river cruises this could end up with more ships being needed to supply demand. This in turn would increase both river congestion and rafting.

Ditto on the forum wan't allow Ipads to vote.

I definitely choose itinerary first and second, price is third and the cabin is fourth. That said, if the cabin were bad, my wife would veto the options. Women always get to say NO, men just get to suggest.:D

I do not feel that the size of cabins on the Avalon boats is a negative. Bigger than some ocean cruise cabins I have been in. The activities on a river cruise are such that if you like all of the activities on an ocean ship, say like the Oasis of the Seas, you will be hard pressed to find anything to enjoy about any river boat. That said, travelling on a river cruise is very tour and port intensive and you will find that you really don't have time or energy for a lot of activiities.

jc

I voted other...I've been in all classes of cabins for aquarium to full balcony and

the cabin makes little difference to me. I like being on the sun deck or in the lounge to mix with fellow passengers. Also, If I stay in my cabin I only see one side of the river.

Ditto on the forum wan't allow Ipads to vote.

jc

I just successfully voted using my ipad. I enlarged the screen with two fnger expanding then clicked on the circle and viola, voted.

For the record, i have river cruised in rooms with panoramic window, french balcony, full balcony and aquarium class and the room neither made nor broke the experience. All the others factors such as itinerary, excursions, food, service is what i remember..not the room.

Why spend double the money sometimes when you arent in your room AND 50% of the time you are rafted or facing a dock. :eek: I'd rather take TWO cruises for the same price.

By comparison, ocean cruising i always get balcony as there are many more days at sea and many more passengers so a balcony is an oasis.

We've been on three river cruises so far, with another coming up soon, assuming the Elbe has enough water. We've always booked "aquarium" class, which I would also consider to be "swan" class on the Rhine. We got lucky (or, possibly fit the criteria for 'upgrade" to balcony) on our first cruise. Great if you want to pay the extra $$ (we won't). We have only been on GC so far, checking out the competition on Viking. Their reluctance to tell us whether our cruise will go or be cancelled is NOT winning points. thus far. In any event, the cabin is not that important to us. Price wins.

comfort is important and we love the big windows on river cruises and a full balcony on ocean cruising.

however with all the ever increasing reports of rafting it does defeat the beauty of having a room with a view. paying top $ for a room with no view for possibly extended periods would be food for thought.

we like the actual cruising as much as visiting new places or experiencing the same place again. the cabin is important.

I just successfully voted using my ipad. I enlarged the screen with two fnger expanding then clicked on the circle and viola, voted.

For the record, i have river cruised in rooms with panoramic window, french balcony, full balcony and aquarium class and the room neither made nor broke the experience. All the others factors such as itinerary, excursions, food, service is what i remember..not the room.

Why spend double the money sometimes when you arent in your room AND 50% of the time you are rafted or facing a dock. :eek: I'd rather take TWO cruises for the same price.

By comparison, ocean cruising i always get balcony as there are many more days at sea and many more passengers so a balcony is an oasis.

You nailed it!

I'm on an iPhone no poll. But, I do look at the photos in the brochure, and there is one line I just can't consider, due to the decor. Much too fussy, it doesn't seem relaxing. Jmo. Cabin square footage and sleek modern bathroom should be considered.

I did the same - rejected one line because I didn't like the decor. Silly reason, perhaps, but it just didn't work for me.

On an ocean cruise, I spend a lot of time researching the location of a cabin. This wasn't an issue with the river cruise because the boats aren't that big, but we did get a veranda rather than the French balcony. DH spends a lot of time waiting for me :) and the veranda has chairs. He doesn't like sitting on the bed.

After 2 river cruises (B2B) I was certainly surprised at the size of the cabin!

Therefore, we will try it again and this time with Tauck, the PH cabins are 300 sq.ft. That extra makes a big difference as we do use and enjoy the comfort and privacy of our cabin.

Our main priority when choosing is itinerary and timing, and I hope that this upcoming river cruise meets all of our expectations.

After 2 river cruises (B2B) I was certainly surprised at the size of the cabin!

Therefore, we will try it again and this time with Tauck, the PH cabins are 300 sq.ft. That extra makes a big difference as we do use and enjoy the comfort and privacy of our cabin.

Our main priority when choosing is itinerary and timing, and I hope that this upcoming river cruise meets all of our expectations.

If you're cruising with Tauck I have no doubt you'll be very pleased. They're top of the line! My Mom said so....I can't afford them, :D but she loved them and they took very good care of her and her handicapped friend.

I had an aquarium cabin once on a Tauck trip and it was lovely and cozy. Liked it! Would I prefer a balcony, French or otherwise? Absolutely, but loved my under-water berth, too.

Carolyn

quote=Sharra13;47414204]Our first cruise is next week (YAY!!) and we went with the "aquarium" cabin. I HOPE it doesn't bother me and I am going in with a good attitude about it, especially after reading so many posts about not being in your cabin much and rafting, etc.

I have never been on ANY type of cruise, but I know for sure I would never book an interior or non-balcony on an ocean cruise *shudder* Something about being on a river doesn't bother me as much or give me Titanic-style nightmares, lol.

The room does make a difference to me, but not above the actual trip. I knew we wanted this itinerary and a pre-stay in Nuremberg with a small window of dates we were available to go. Not getting a balcony was the one concession I made to stay more in budget, so I think we did pretty good!

I'm on an iPhone no poll. But, I do look at the photos in the brochure, and there is one line I just can't consider, due to the decor. Much too fussy, it doesn't seem relaxing. Jmo. Cabin square footage and sleek modern bathroom should be considered.

I didn't find the décor fussy once I saw it in person, but I'm sure some people might. Our cabin was much more sedate than the common areas, and the bathroom was sleek and modern, IMO. I really liked the three panel glass doors on the shower and the adjustable height rainfall shower head.

We sailed in an aquarium cabin, and based on the number of naps my DH ended up taking (he didn't adjust well to the time change at first), I think it was better for us to have the smaller windows! And with the heat wave we experienced, we most likely wouldn't have opened the windows.

I don't know why the "Quote" chooses to work sporadically. :(

< I didn't find the décor fussy once I saw it in person, but I'm sure some people might. >

We found it more overpowering in some of the public areas than we anticipated. And the seating in the lounge was just not comfortable.

>Our cabin was much more sedate than the common areas, and the bathroom was

sleek and modern, IMO. >

I agree completely and the bedding was amazing!

I don't know why the "Quote" chooses to work sporadically. :(

< I didn't find the décor fussy once I saw it in person, but I'm sure some people might. >

We found it more overpowering in some of the public areas than we anticipated. And the seating in the lounge was just not comfortable.

>Our cabin was much more sedate than the common areas, and the bathroom was

sleek and modern, IMO. >

I agree completely and the bedding was amazing!

Probably the drawback to each of the Uniworld ships having different décor is the difference in comfort you then might experience. The couches and arm chairs in River Queen's lounge were very comfortable! I was actually surprised at how comfy the armchairs were--at first I automatically headed for the couches but found the armchairs just as nice, and since we ended up being a group of six that worked better in the lounge. The library had wing chairs that I also liked.

I asked the hotel manager if the mattresses were also by Savoy, and she said yes. She said she wanted one, and was able to purchase one from Uniworld as they don't sell to the public. But then she had to arrange to get it to Vienna!

Not cabin-related, but the other thing everyone loved on the ship was the iron in the laundry room! The brand was Tefal and I don't know if they market to the U.S., but I'm going to look into it. ETA: Just researched and it's regular old T-Fal in the U.S. Of course when I saw the brand on the ship I immediately thought of T-Fal but thought it was something different!

That does remind me, one advantage to our aquarium cabin was that the free laundry was at the end of the hall. With the hot weather we needed to wash everything we wore (my workout clothes were soaking wet), and being on the same floor made it easy to throw a load in every other day. The only dirty clothes we came home with were the undergarments we wore the evening before departure!

Edited by hiccups

<With the hot weather we needed to wash everything we wore (my workout clothes were soaking wet), and being on the same floor made it easy to throw a load in every other day. The only dirty clothes we came home with were the undergarments we wore the evening before departure!>

We had scorching temps and went through clothing very quickly last month. I did laundry three times in a week and was very grateful for the onboard washers and dryers. It was a very popular place all week!

And while we did not use the iron, it was a very nice touch to have one available.

I'd be happy in pretty much any stateroom I've seen on Uniworld, AMA, Viking, etc. except aquarium; I really want the full-length window. But my wife insists on a suite, and we're not really well-off people. We do spend a large % of our income on travel, though, and happy to do it. (She's also hooked on Uniworld, while I'd be more than willing to try another line that offered a great itinerary.)

I will say that having a suite on Uniworld brings forth all kinds of perks (like unlimited free laundry service and butler service) that make life on board very, very nice indeed.

<With the hot weather we needed to wash everything we wore (my workout clothes were soaking wet), and being on the same floor made it easy to throw a load in every other day. The only dirty clothes we came home with were the undergarments we wore the evening before departure!>

We had scorching temps and went through clothing very quickly last month. I did laundry three times in a week and was very grateful for the onboard washers and dryers. It was a very popular place all week!

And while we did not use the iron, it was a very nice touch to have one available.

Heads up for the record, viking new longships don't have self serve laundry so a drawback in your type of situation.

And the prices to have them do it was $$$$$$$. :eek:

Heads up for the record, viking new longships don't have self serve laundry so a drawback in your type of situation.

There are three things I absolutely refuse to do on vacation: make the bed;

prepare the meals and do the laundry!! If I don't have a washing machine and clothes dryer in my room....I'm sending it out! :D

Not a problem for me as Viking is not on my radar. That info may help others though.

There are three things I absolutely refuse to do on vacation: make the bed;

prepare the meals and do the laundry!! If I don't have a washing machine and clothes dryer in my room....I'm sending it out! :D

We rented an apartment in Paris last year and did all three. While it had it's advantages, I prefer a hotel.

In Budapest we stayed in a service apartment by Marriott. A great compromise and we really enjoyed it. There were washers and dryers on each floor and it was to board the AmaCerto with all clean clothes.

My first choice is luxury, but the budget does not allow for me to indulge in my first choice.:D

We were shocked [Claude Rains: "Shocked I tell you!"] to discover that self-serve laundromats are not easy to find in Europe (at least not in Northern Spain) [and really, you don't want to waste half a day on this anyway]. Luckily we did find a laundry in Leon that did a big load for us, folded everything, and delivered it to our hotel while we were sightseeing. So if you are doing a cruise after some DIY, make sure you have 2 nights somewhere just before boarding where you can partake of such a service. On our upcoming trip, there seems to be such a laundry in Sarlat-la-Caneda so we hope to arrive at the AmaDagio with clean clothes, and then we will use the onboard laundry service to make sure we are presentable for the time in Paris post-cruise.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

We rented an apartment in Paris last year and did all three. While it had it's advantages, I prefer a hotel.

In Budapest we stayed in a service apartment by Marriott. A great compromise and we really enjoyed it. There were washers and dryers on each floor and it was to board the AmaCerto with all clean clothes.

My first choice is luxury, but the budget does not allow for me to indulge in my first choice.:D

Caviargal.... I am dissappointed. I always figured I was talking to someone like Jacquelyn Onnasis when I post with you.:D:rolleyes: I was pretty certain budget was never a deciding factor.... good to know. I know feel like I am 2 feet high.:D

jc

PS, that sounds snarky now that I read it (after drinking a nice bottle of Pinot Noir)... I don't mean it that way. You are and always have been a classy CC poster.

Edited by xpcdoojk

Caviargal.... I am dissappointed. I always figured I was talking to someone like Jacquelyn Onnasis when I post with you.:D:rolleyes: I was pretty certain budget was never a deciding factor.... good to know. I know feel like I am 2 feet high.:D

jc

PS, that sounds snarky now that I read it (after drinking a nice bottle of Pinot Noir)... I don't mean it that way. You are and always have been a classy CC poster.

Ahh...the perils of "drinking and posting".... Been there, done that! :rolleyes: