Labidee, Haiti

wiganer15

Dear All

We have been informed that the only place where injections/tablets are required for is Haiti (malaria tablets).

It seems overkill, as we only look like we are lounging around on a private beach.

Any thoughts on this from people who have been?

Thanks

Dear All

We have been informed that the only place where injections/tablets are required for is Haiti (malaria tablets).

It seems overkill, as we only look like we are lounging around on a private beach.

Thanks

We have been to Labadee 6 times.

Most recently last week.

Never had to take pills like you mentioned.

We only took bug spray in case we needed it and never used it.

Enjoy the area, we do.

Sea Ya

Dear All

Thanks

Been there many times. You don't need anything for Malaria.

Personally I have had the Hepatitis shot but that is not for Haiti. I have concerns about swimming at any beach, USA or Caribbean.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dear All

Thanks

Yes, it is overkill as you say. We have been there many times. We were there only during the day and never encountered bugs for which injections/tablets are needed. The most I have seen is people getting bitten there was from sand fleas (someone had gone to the sand bar excursion) and small jelly fish.....both on rare occasions so no need to panic about it.

However, you do whatever makes YOU comfortable and at peace.

Yes, it is overkill as you say. We have been there many times. We were there only during the day and never encountered bugs for which injections/tablets are needed. The most I have seen is people getting bitten there was from sand fleas (someone had gone to the sand bar excursion) and small jelly fish.....both on rare occasions so no need to panic about it.

However, you do whatever makes YOU comfortable and at peace.

You mean Drink and Eat then? I'm always at peace when I'm drinking and eating [emoji3]

Thanks for that advice

Dear All

Thanks

who told you this?

This is the post from the CDC website concerning Haiti.

many countries require copies of your vaccination records before being granted access into the country, health records when applying for a visa, ie. china . (which as a port on a cruise ship, you are not clearing immigration in that country) While I feel the shots are overkill as a cruise ship passenger and would personally NOT do it. it is entirely up to you. As far as mandatory, IT is not required as a cruise ship passenger

(from the cdc website re/ haiti)

All travelers

You should be up to date on routine vaccinations while traveling to any destination. Some vaccines may also be required for travel.

Routine vaccines Make sure you are up-to-date on routine vaccines before every trip. These vaccines include measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine, diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis vaccine, varicella (chickenpox) vaccine, polio vaccine, and your yearly flu shot.

Most travelers

Get travel vaccines and medicines because there is a risk of these diseases in the country you are visiting.

Hepatitis A CDC recommends this vaccine because you can get hepatitis A through contaminated food or water in Haiti, regardless of where you are eating or staying.

Malaria You will need to take prescription medicine before, during, and after your trip to prevent malaria. Your doctor can help you decide which medicine is right for you, and also talk to you about other steps you can take to prevent malaria. See more detailed information about malaria in Haiti.

Typhoid You can get typhoid through contaminated food or water in Haiti. CDC recommends this vaccine for most travelers, especially if you are staying with friends or relatives, visiting smaller cities or rural areas, or if you are an adventurous eater.

Some travelers

Ask your doctor what vaccines and medicines you need based on where you are going, how long you are staying, what you will be doing, and if you are traveling from a country other than the US.

Hepatitis B You can get hepatitis B through sexual contact, contaminated needles, and blood products, so CDC recommends this vaccine if you might have sex with a new partner, get a tattoo or piercing, or have any medical procedures.

Rabies Rabies can be found in dogs, bats, and other mammals in Haiti, so CDC recommends this vaccine for the following groups:

• Travelers involved in outdoor and other activities (such as camping, hiking, biking, adventure travel, and caving) that put them at risk for animal bites.
  • People who will be working with or around animals (such as veterinarians, wildlife professionals, and researchers).
  • People who are taking long trips or moving to Haiti
  • Children, because they tend to play with animals, might not report bites, and are more likely to have animal bites on their head and neck.

Edited by TheTruthCanHurt

My thoughts on the matter also, just getting confirmation as a first timer [emoji3]

Actually, malaria has little to do with whether you're on a beach or in the interior. In fact, if you follow the link on the CDC site for details about malaria in Haiti, it specifically says it is present in all areas "including Port Labadee." It is mostly related to whether or not you're exposed to mosquitoes. The prime times for mosquito bites are dusk and dawn. They are not usually active in the middle of the day, when you're most likely to be on the beach.

Now...if you want to really be on the safe side, you can get some anti-malarial drugs, but most people don't do so for just a cruise ship visit.

You don't need anything...vaccinations, innoculations or pills, potions or magic anywhere on a Caribbean cruise. Nothing. Period.

Hep A isn't a bad idea-- but not just for Haiti. You can get it anywhere. There have been outbreaks in NYC at local restaurants.

I took Malaria pills last year on a land tour in Panama. It was probably overkill, but I'm VERY susceptible to Mosquitos. And it made me feel less nervous.

I know a mosquito biologist who has been actively involved with various Caribbean islands and vector disease control. The concern is not malaria although there are mosquitoes that will cause malaria in this area. Most mosquitoes are active at dawn and dusk. That's not to say that you can't get a mosquito bite in the daytime. However, the cause for concern in the Caribbean is chikungunya virus and dengue virus. If you google both, you will see that the Caribbean has especially been affected by chikungunya, but it is not fatal. The CDC has been involved with the governments of the various islands and has had seminars concerning treatment and prevention. Bottom line if you are concerned, bring some bug spray that has DEET and definitely use bug spray if you are on an excursion in the jungle areas.

I spent the last 5+ years working in sub-Saharan Africa, and I (along with the vast majority of long-term expats there) absolutely do NOT recommend taking Malaria "prevention" pills. They don't prevent malaria. The aim is to make the symptoms less-severe. The worst malaria cases I saw were expats who took doxycycline or Malarone and it masked their symptoms until the malaria became very severe. It can also lead to false negative tests. Those who didn't take any preventative meds would recognize malaria immediately, start a 3 day regimen of Coartem, and be better within 12-24 hours. If the Coartem didn't help within the first day, you know it's a different variety of malaria and you should go to a clinic/hospital for IV meds.

The chances of contracting malaria during the daytime is very low anyway (malaria-transmitting mosquitos are primarily active at dawn/dusk), and considering you'll just be there for one day, it's minuscule. If you do have any symptoms, just make sure to tell the doctor where you've traveled so they consider tropical diseases. Most won't if you don't tell them where you've been.