Just off the Majesty

Yes, I agree with posters that like the Majesty for the laid back atmosphere... The reason why I like cruising is because when I am at a resort I am constantly feeling the guilt of not playing tourist, or playing tourist and not sleeping on a beach... A cruise, for me, offers the perfect balance. I don't need to look at a list of what seems like 100 activities and stress over missing something... Although coming back to her after a larger ship, I am going to miss the Solarium.... Other than that, she has everything I need.. Provided the issue is fixed, of course...

My wife and I have sailed Majesty numerous times. When we decide to book a last minute weekend cruise, we always say the same thing....not Majesty again!!! But then we book it, get on board, and love it. The ship does have its strong points. She's got the biggest and best Boleros in the fleet, the service always seems to be phenomenal, and for some reason, the MDR food always seems to be really good compared to the rest of the fleet. We love the Compass Deli, Sorrentos is a great venue, and there's always live entertainment playing in numerous venues.

We live in S. Florida, but I am not driving 3 hours to take a 3 or 4 day cruise, when I have lots of other options available. I know you will say, 'it's only 3 hours' and that is true -- just so you know, when we relocated to S. Florida we made the drive from NJ.

What other options will you have for a 3 day besides Enchantment :what:

My wife and I have sailed Majesty numerous times. When we decide to book a last minute weekend cruise, we always say the same thing....not Majesty again!!! But then we book it, get on board, and love it. The ship does have its strong points. She's got the biggest and best Boleros in the fleet, the service always seems to be phenomenal, and for some reason, the MDR food always seems to be really good compared to the rest of the fleet. We love the Compass Deli, Sorrentos is a great venue, and there's always live entertainment playing in numerous venues.

The service... I am not sure if it's the specific crew that was there when we cruised, or its because its a smaller ship. We really did feel like we were royalty.... It took me years to convince the husband to try cruising... I think the service we experienced on the Majesty is the reason he liked it. And his biggest concern about cruising was that he was going to get bored... hehe.

Unittech, we fly into fort Lauderdale just before 11:00 am and I have arranged for transportation to pick us up at the airport to take us to the port of Miami. Based on internet search, I am expecting about 45 minutes travel time. Depending on how long it takes to get luggage, we might arrive at the port around 12:15 to 12:30.

Super. We will probably be getting into Miami and on board around the same time since we never get out the door when we think we will.

If you're interested in meeting at the Schooner bar, say around 3, let me know and we will figure how to recognize each other. Suzy04, you too?

Diane

Just FYI, I just came off of a Aug 17th sailing on Majesty and noted no plumbing problems nor sewage smells around the ship. Seems they've straightened out whatever issues there were on the sailing prior.

Edited by drkelly2006

The Majesty was my first cruise ever, sailed her back in '02, and I loved it. I don't remember much about the ship itself, and I don't doubt that there have been a lot of changes, but just out of curiosity, does it/RCCL still do mandatory formal nights? And what sort of shows does it have now?

The Majesty was my first cruise ever, sailed her back in '02, and I loved it. I don't remember much about the ship itself, and I don't doubt that there have been a lot of changes, but just out of curiosity, does it/RCCL still do mandatory formal nights? And what sort of shows does it have now?

There us still one formal night every cruise. There are two different production shows, and the typical headliner acts.

We just sailed on Majesty from August 21-24. It goes without saying that anytime you're on a cruise, it's better than when you're not, BUT......this cruise fell far below my expectations. This is only the 4th cruise that I have been on; the first with Royal. I always hear people compare Carnival and Royal, saying Royal is so much better. That would not be my experience. All three prior cruises with Carnival far exceeded this experience. The size of Majesty was no problem at all. I liked the size and set up. My biggest problem was issues with guest relations and maintenance of the ship. As soon as I boarded, and got in line to ask what time the shows are at night so I could make my dinner reservations around the times; the service was horrible. It felt like every question that you asked was a bother or you were completely stupid. My brother had a hole in his mattress and called the first 2 nights to have the mattress changed; both times they said they would be right there and they never showed up. Guest relations throughout the ship seemed to be like this. Our waitstaff (Antonia and Jesus) and room steward (Fritz) was great though! Samantha Green in the shops is wonderful too! Maintenance issues include: hole in mattress, our hall (deck 2) smelled the entire time like sewage (really bad - not a faint smell!), outlets in rooms have been used so much that you can't plug anything in and expect it to stay (you have to hold the plug in - same way with my brother's room on floor 8), carpets throughout the ship are very poor - all the way down most of the halls there are water stains apparently where they have been having these plumbing issues, our shower completely flooded the floor one day, and the worst to me was the entire ship was very hot and stuffy. The lobby (atrium) never seemed to cool down and our room remained warm the entire time we were gone even though it was turned down as low as it would go. The ship is kept as clean as they can possibly keep her, but with all the maintenance issues it gives a very bad feeling and must be a consistent issue. We loved CocoCay. Anyone planning to go to the beach while you are on this island, head back to Barefoot Beach. We saw Baracudas, Stingrays, various kinds of starfish, all kinds of fish, and nurse sharks (they won't hurt you). I LOVED this beach.

So just a brief summary of our 4 day, here is the good the bad and the ugly.

It's been 5 years since I have cruised and I think the food has improved! Yes, I did say improved, I know food is subjective but in the dining room it seems like they are trying to up the quality. Some was really good other things..eh but for the most part I was happy. Food in the windjammer was also good but no variety. We knew exactly what to expect. I do wish their desserts were a little more appealing, that being said, I still have some extra pounds to work of this coming week.

My food experience on the Majesty has been very good as well. In fact a couple of years ago we did a 4 day on the Majesty followed by a 6 day on the Indy and the food was far better on the Majesty. I've been told that the Majesty is like a training ship and they pay closer attention to what they do. Not sure how true it is but we've done 4 Majesty cruises and have always been impressed with the ship. I remember last time I did a review on the Majesty I said whatever it is they're doing on that ship they need to teach it to everyone else.

We just sailed on Majesty from August 21-24. It goes without saying that anytime you're on a cruise, it's better than when you're not, BUT......this cruise fell far below my expectations. This is only the 4th cruise that I have been on; the first with Royal. I always hear people compare Carnival and Royal, saying Royal is so much better. That would not be my experience. All three prior cruises with Carnival far exceeded this experience. The size of Majesty was no problem at all. I liked the size and set up. My biggest problem was issues with guest relations and maintenance of the ship. As soon as I boarded, and got in line to ask what time the shows are at night so I could make my dinner reservations around the times; the service was horrible. It felt like every question that you asked was a bother or you were completely stupid. My brother had a hole in his mattress and called the first 2 nights to have the mattress changed; both times they said they would be right there and they never showed up. Guest relations throughout the ship seemed to be like this. Our waitstaff (Antonia and Jesus) and room steward (Fritz) was great though! Samantha Green in the shops is wonderful too! Maintenance issues include: hole in mattress, our hall (deck 2) smelled the entire time like sewage (really bad - not a faint smell!), outlets in rooms have been used so much that you can't plug anything in and expect it to stay (you have to hold the plug in - same way with my brother's room on floor 8), carpets throughout the ship are very poor - all the way down most of the halls there are water stains apparently where they have been having these plumbing issues, our shower completely flooded the floor one day, and the worst to me was the entire ship was very hot and stuffy. The lobby (atrium) never seemed to cool down and our room remained warm the entire time we were gone even though it was turned down as low as it would go. The ship is kept as clean as they can possibly keep her, but with all the maintenance issues it gives a very bad feeling and must be a consistent issue. We loved CocoCay. Anyone planning to go to the beach while you are on this island, head back to Barefoot Beach. We saw Baracudas, Stingrays, various kinds of starfish, all kinds of fish, and nurse sharks (they won't hurt you). I LOVED this beach.

This echoes my last cruise on MJ basically to a T. I love the ship and have cruised extensively on her, but I would stay away from Decks 2 and 3 completely nowadays. You can still find some great crew members on the ship but the service has really gown downhill, IMO. Had the same experience with maintenance, AC, and the plugs as you did.

Not sure why someone would say the 'shorter cruises out of Miami tend to be more fun'. All cruises can be fun, regardless of length.

Many feel that the three day weekend cruises out of Miami and even PC have a certain reputation for hard partying. I have been on many and would tend to agree.

Not sure why someone would say the 'shorter cruises out of Miami tend to be more fun'. All cruises can be fun, regardless of length.

Yes they all can be fun and we know how to have it, we did enjoy the Allure, Explorer and the Grandeur. In our personal opinion FOS was the worse cruise we experienced. figured we try her Majesty because of previous reviews and a quick getaway for our Anniversary.

It's funny but I don't think of Majesty 3 day cruises as being "hard partying." Sure, there can be a younger crowd and drinking, but I've seen similar antics on a 7 day cruise.

The 3 day I did on Carnival was much much worse partying-wise.

It's funny but I don't think of Majesty 3 day cruises as being "hard partying." Sure, there can be a younger crowd and drinking, but I've seen similar antics on a 7 day cruise.

The 3 day I did on Carnival was much much worse partying-wise.

No hard partying just alot of fun last time we were on a carnival ship was in 1996 when I could party hard, still had more fun on RC