Dogs on the ship

heron45

I would think that certain cabins would be designated as no dogs. Subsequent guests could have a severe allergy..

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

That would create booking nightmares. Given the very small number of dogs that cruise and the very small number of guests with severe allergies to dogs, the likelihood of an allergic guest occupying the same cabin immediately after a dog is simply too small to warrant revamping the booking system.

Something else to consider: most people with allergies are affected by dog saliva (if licked) or, most commonly, dog dander. The former wouldn't be an issue and the stewards' thorough cleaning of the cabins between cruises would reduce or eliminate any possibility of remaining dander.

I am not saying it would be easy. Just something to keep in mind. I have a friend with severe cat allergies and he cant come to our house even if the cat is locked up in a room.

I am not saying it would be easy. Just something to keep in mind. I have a friend with severe cat allergies and he cant come to our house even if the cat is locked up in a room.

Doesn't matter if the cat is locked up, there's most likely cat dander all over the house.

Of course. That was my point about designated cabins...

Not necessary as HAL will not take a cat since the ADA says that cats don't qualify as service animals & HAL follows the ADA laws.. :)

Cat dander remains even after cleaning but dog dander does not..

My DH is allergic to cats but not to dogs..

Edited by serendipity1499

I just got back from Alaska on the Statendam and noticed at least 3 "service dogs" on the ship. I don't think I have ever seen dogs on the ship before. Just wondered if this is more common now and how others felt about it. I'm not much of a fan of sitting next to a dog in the MDR.

We support HAL for the way they run the service dog program. We met Harley and his owner on board, he had been named after a motor cycle club who we believe rode Harley Davidson bikes and had donated the dog to his owner.

Of course we met up with the whiners not only about dogs but motorized wheelchairs.

We support HAL for the way they run the service dog program. We met Harley and his owner on board, he had been named after a motor cycle club who we believe rode Harley Davidson bikes and had donated the dog to his owner.

Of course we met up with the whiners not only about dogs but motorized wheelchairs.

Id love to see those complainers if they ever needed that dog or chair.

Bet they'd be singing a different tune then.

I saw a dog in the supermarket today. He was wearing the harness with the loop like Seeing Eye dogs wear. There were two people shopping together, a woman and a man. She was holding the leash.

Neither appeared to be seriously visually impaired (the man wore glasses, but so do lots of people). Yes, I know that a lot of disabilities are invisible. But here's my question. If the dog was working or in training (no vest to identify the dog as a service dog), shouldn't he have been held by the harness? Isn't using the leash a signal to the dog that he's "off duty"? And if he's "off duty" he shouldn't have been in the store.

I saw a dog in the supermarket today. He was wearing the harness with the loop like Seeing Eye dogs wear. There were two people shopping together, a woman and a man. She was holding the leash.

Neither appeared to be seriously visually impaired (the man wore glasses, but so do lots of people). Yes, I know that a lot of disabilities are invisible. But here's my question. If the dog was working or in training (no vest to identify the dog as a service dog), shouldn't he have been held by the harness? Isn't using the leash a signal to the dog that he's "off duty"? And if he's "off duty" he shouldn't have been in the store.

Let's assume one was visually impaired.

With another person there to assist them why would the dog need to be on duty for the time they were together?

Let's assume one was visually impaired.

With another person there to assist them why would the dog need to be on duty for the time they were together?

If the dog was off duty, why was he in the store?

Because Seeing Eye is in a town near me, my first thought was that it was a Seeing Eye dog. I'm used to seeing dogs in training walking around, learning to guide someone on the street. But training is typically one person, one dog, not two people and one dog.

It looked to me like the woman was teaching the man how to choose produce, because they were both looking at it. (Kind of like when I had to give my father cooking/shopping lessons after my mother died.) If not for the dog, they'd have looked like any other couple shopping.

The whole situation just looked off, especially with the dog being on the leash not the harness loop. Not sure I'd have paid much attention if I hadn't been reading this thread.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

According to the ADA rule, service dogs do not need a vest to identify them as such..

You said he was wearing his harness..Perhaps the dog was not needed at that point to perform his service dog duties....Therefore the leash..He also could be a service dog in training & was wearing his harness so he could become used to the harness, before someone began using the harness.. If he was a service dog, he had every right to be in the supermarket even with the person using the leash instead of the harness..

Also, don't forget it's pretty hot in the summer....I would never leave any dog in a car even with the windows open in the summer..

Edited by serendipity1499