Dogs on the ship

heron45

I just got back from Alaska on the Statendam and noticed at least 3 "service dogs" on the ship. I don't think I have ever seen dogs on the ship before. Just wondered if this is more common now and how others felt about it. I'm not much of a fan of sitting next to a dog in the MDR.

Yes, we have seen them more too. Still can't figure out where they take them for their "walk".

Actual service dogs, like Guide Dogs for the Blind, are trained to go on mulch for travel.

Yes, we have seen them more too. Still can't figure out where they take them for their "walk".

One of my cruises had a group of people with service dogs on it. There were several boxes set up at the forward end of the Promenade Deck. They were about 4 feet square and had an astroturf top section that drained to an absorbent lower section. I have since seen the boxes on other cruises.

The funny thing about that first cruise was that during the stop at Half Moon Cay, some of the other passengers were complaining that the dogs swimming in the ocean somehow contaminated the water. They were quite loud in their complaints at the front desk, and to anyone else who looked as though they may listen.

Fully certificated Service Dogs are wonderful animals who should not cause any problems to any other passengers on board. They are fully trained to 'go' on command.

Therapy dogs and Companion dogs are the dogs that are not appropriately trained to be on a ship.

As ellieanne said, some ships have an area at the forward end of the promenade and I believe on the R & S class ships there is an area on the stern Main or A/Dolphin decks.

Edited by jtl513

Fully certificated Service Dogs are wonderful animals who should not cause any problems to any other passengers on board. They are fully trained to 'go' on command.

Therapy dogs and Companion dogs are the dogs that are not appropriately trained to be on a ship.

As always, there are a few who take advantage of the system. I have heard of people getting their dogs certified on-line so they can take them on planes and busses. Haven't yet seen this on ships although I saw one on the Alaskan Ferry this Spring. That dog was no more a service dog than the man in the moon. It is going to fall bank on transport companies to screen more rigorously. I love all animals but not the people who use them for their own advantage.

The funny thing about that first cruise was that during the stop at Half Moon Cay, some of the other passengers were complaining that the dogs swimming in the ocean somehow contaminated the water. They were quite loud in their complaints at the front desk, and to anyone else who looked as though they may listen.

Unbelievable!!!!!! Honestly, some people....:mad::rolleyes:

Here's an article from USA Today.

http://experience.usatoday.com/cruise/story/cruise-buzz/2013/09/05/cruise-ship-service-dogs/2770323/

We've been doing on cruises with blind passengers who had seeing eye dogs. The dogs were always well behaved. We were also on a cruise with some people who were training Labrador Retrievers for guide dog duty. Always check with the owner to make sure that the dog is "not working" before you try to socialize.

I've never seen a poorly behaved guide dog - ever. It's the people who slap a vest on their poorly trained pooch so that they can take the dog on vacation that cause the problems. Sadly, no one's ever decided to fix the loophole in the Americans with Disabilities Act

http://www.federalwaymirror.com/news/147080865.html

Here's an article from USA Today.

http://experience.usatoday.com/cruise/story/cruise-buzz/2013/09/05/cruise-ship-service-dogs/2770323/

We've been doing on cruises with blind passengers who had seeing eye dogs. The dogs were always well behaved. We were also on a cruise with some people who were training Labrador Retrievers for guide dog duty. Always check with the owner to make sure that the dog is "not working" before you try to socialize.

I've never seen a poorly behaved guide dog - ever. It's the people who slap a vest on their poorly trained pooch so that they can take the dog on vacation that cause the problems. Sadly, no one's ever decided to fix the loophole in the Americans with Disabilities Act

http://www.federalwaymirror.com/news/147080865.html

So true.

We have seen service dogs on several of our cruises.

Only once did many of us suspect that one was not a service dog as he/she did near wear the coat indicating service animal like the other dogs we have seen.

I know that I would not be happy to have a dog sitting at the table and being fed from the table. Most of the service dogs we have seen were on the floor and not being fed in the dining room.

We had a small "service dog" on our last cruise that was being pushed around in a stroller!

We were in Sweet Tomatoes once and someone came in with their dog in a stroller, wheeled it up to her table and set his food bowl on the table for him to eat alongside her.

I am a dog lover, but I think things are going a bit far.

I just got back from Alaska on the Statendam and noticed at least 3 "service dogs" on the ship. I don't think I have ever seen dogs on the ship before. Just wondered if this is more common now and how others felt about it. I'm not much of a fan of sitting next to a dog in the MDR.

I would rather sit next to a dog than some of the rude tablemates I've been stuck with before.

We have seen service dogs on several of our cruises.

Only once did many of us suspect that one was not a service dog as he/she did near wear the coat indicating service animal like the other dogs we have seen.

I know that I would not be happy to have a dog sitting at the table and being fed from the table. Most of the service dogs we have seen were on the floor and not being fed in the dining room.

According to the article in the Federal Way, WA paper (2nd link in my post above,) the vest isn't even a good indicator, since you can buy a kit with a vest and an ID card.

Oh -- I meant to say that the dog never wore a service coat/vest.

The woman was always in a wheel chair and she never wore shoes.

Both the woman and dog smelled.

There is a theory that dogs and their people become more alike over time.

According to the article in the Federal Way, WA paper (2nd link in my post above,) the vest isn't even a good indicator, since you can buy a kit with a vest and an ID card.

There are a thousand or more of those vests on ebay.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

Just off the Zuiderdam last Thursday and for our second 11 day cruise, there was a service dog onboard. There was an area on the lower promenade deck for the dog to "use". Certainly, there was no issue with this dog and I believe we only saw it once.

We've seen this on other HAL ships as well. I don't recall seeing it on Princess, but we're not on Princess as much as HAL.

And of course Cunard's QM2 has its' own kennel - which they are expanding next year in retrofit to accommodate more, so it must be quite popular. ;) I read that they're even adding a fire hydrant and a lamp post!

Just off the Zuiderdam last Thursday and for our second 11 day cruise, there was a service dog onboard. There was an area on the lower promenade deck for the dog to "use". Certainly, there was no issue with this dog and I believe we only saw it once.

We've seen this on other HAL ships as well. I don't recall seeing it on Princess, but we're not on Princess as much as HAL.

And of course Cunard's QM2 has its' own kennel - which they are expanding next year in retrofit to accommodate more, so it must be quite popular. ;) I read that they're even adding a fire hydrant and a lamp post!

People relocating across the Atlantic love the kennels on QM2 because they don't have to subject a cat or dog to a long time in a cargo hold. Currently, the kennels are in use only on transatlantics, and they're the first "cabin grade" to sell out.

I always wondered why Celebrity put real grass on their ships. Now I have an idea why .......

You were probably joking, but as a point of information, Celebrity does address this specifically in their corporate form to be filled out and signed by passengers with disabilities who are traveling with service animals:

"Service animals must use the designated relief area(s) only. Please note the Lawn Club on Solstice class ships and Central Park on Oasis class ships are not designated relief areas."

Once we were in Philly during an event for wheelchair athletes. We met a young girl who is a Veteran. She was injured in the Middle East and came back paralyzed from the waist down, PTSD and suicidal. She took advice from a friend, adopted a pit/lab mix and proceeded to educate herself on how to make her puppy a service dog. She read books, watched online videos and trained her dog. We spent an entire evening hanging out with her and her dog. We aren't stalkers, we also had a dog and we let them play together, lol. Anyhow. Her dog was amazing. She was absolutely a properly trained service dog, in spite of being a DIY job :) The girl talked about the dog and the task of training her saving her life...

The loophole mentioned above allowed this young woman to be self sufficient in attaining a service dog. Having had this experience, I do not think this loophole should be closed... But i also agree that people taking advantage of this is terrible...

I read this article when it first came out... Made me sick!

https://heatherclemenceau.wordpress.com/2015/07/06/me-and-my-fake-service-dog/

Edited by ZandZ

Once we were in Philly during an event for wheelchair athletes. We met a young girl who is a Veteran. She was injured in the Middle East and came back paralyzed from the waist down, PTSD and suicidal. She took advice from a friend, adopted a pit/lab mix and proceeded to educate herself on how to make her puppy a service dog. She read books, watched online videos and trained her dog. We spent an entire evening hanging out with her and her dog. We aren't stalkers, we also had a dog and we let them play together, lol. Anyhow. Her dog was amazing. She was absolutely a properly trained service dog, in spite of being a DIY job :) The girl talked about the dog and the task of training her saving her life...

The loophole mentioned above allowed this young woman to be self sufficient in attaining a service dog. Having had this experience, I do not think this loophole should be closed... But i also agree that people taking advantage of this is terrible...

I read this article when it first came out... Made me sick!

https://heatherclemenceau.wordpress.com/2015/07/06/me-and-my-fake-service-dog/

The answer to this particular loophole is for the VA to do more in support of veteran's service dogs and certify or register them. (And yes, there's a lot the VA could do, but please don't let's drift into a political discussion)

I followed the link you posted, and I find it appalling that anyone would cheat like that. But people do, unfortunately, and that's why someone needs to look at the interpretation of the ADA act. Maybe there are places where someone can/should ask. NOT Miss Nosy Me on the Street, and definitely NOT an employer, because job discrimination is one of the big things the ADA law protects against. But a place that does not normally allow dogs, like a cruise ship or an airline, should be able to ask why someone has a dog. Maybe there should be prescriptions, like the doctor's letter the article mentioned in reference to Canadian laws.

Didn't we once have a HAL cruiser with a service cat? I believe the cat was trained to monitor some sleeping disorder or something like that.

Not to be morbid but a while back there was a cat who lived in a nursing in the Midwest. Cat had an uncanny ability to predict death. When it was imminent the cat would jump on the bed of the person. Within hours the person died. Last year had an illness that brought me to the brink. Was waiting for the cat. Just hoped it wasn't my sixteen year old Roxy.

Maybe we could teach the cat to jump on chairs of hoggers

Edited by PoppyandNana