Mini Suite Cabins with Balcony

orphaned

Hi there. We are planning a cruise on Diamond Princes, March/April 2016 to celebrate a 60th birthday. As it's a "special" occasion we are wondering about booking a mini-suite with balcony. Can anyone advise regarding these cabins, particularly with location and balconies - we have heard that some balconies don't have overhead cover so don't offer much privacy or shade???? Many thanks

Hi there. We are planning a cruise on Diamond Princes, March/April 2016 to celebrate a 60th birthday. As it's a "special" occasion we are wondering about booking a mini-suite with balcony. Can anyone advise regarding these cabins, particularly with location and balconies - we have heard that some balconies don't have overhead cover so don't offer much privacy or shade???? Many thanks

All side of ship minis on Dolphin deck are not covered at all.

There are a few (12-16?) minis on Emerald deck aft/side of ship that are full covered and very private/quiet. These are hard to get. If you see one available I would grab it as they sell out fast. Also mark the booking no upgrade. ;)

If none of the minis on Emerald Deck that Colo Cruiser mentioned are available, you might look at some of the Premium Balcony cabins on the aft. The cabins are not quite as big is the minis but they more than make up for it with very nice covered balconies. I'm thinking of E732 and E735, D740 and D741, C748 and C753, and A744, A746, A749 and A751.

We've got one of the covered Mini's for our cruise in October, we have definitely marked it No Upgrade. All the other Minis are completely open, which for cruises in our neck of the woods is totally ridiculous, no shade what so ever. Not to mention everyone above you looks down into your balcony, not something I fancy.

So unless you can get an Emerald Deck Mini, which fortunately are the lower priced Mini's, I would stick with a standard verandah or grab one of the rear facing Premium Verandahs.

We've got one of the covered Mini's for our cruise in October, we have definitely marked it No Upgrade. All the other Minis are completely open, which for cruises in our neck of the woods is totally ridiculous, no shade what so ever. Not to mention everyone above you looks down into your balcony, not something I fancy.

So unless you can get an Emerald Deck Mini, which fortunately are the lower priced Mini's, I would stick with a standard verandah or grab one of the rear facing Premium Verandahs.

Sorry to sound thick, but what do you mean by marking it "No Upgrade". The category we are looking at just states Mini Suite.

We have a hold on an Emerald mini suite aft cabin so might have to confirm it tomorrow (not sure about the aft bit though, we usually try to get mid ship to avoid any adverse motion)

We have had a mini on the Dolphin deck on all our cruises (6) and the open balcony never bothered us. It's not like people hang over their decks to gawk at you and we have nothing to hide anyway. There is always part of the day when the deck is in the shade.

We do enjoy the space.

Sorry to sound thick, but what do you mean by marking it "No Upgrade". The category we are looking at just states Mini Suite.

We have a hold on an Emerald mini suite aft cabin so might have to confirm it tomorrow (not sure about the aft bit though, we usually try to get mid ship to avoid any adverse motion)

You have to speak to a Princess rep or your TA and ask for "no upgrade". It isn't something that you can do during booking on your computer or in your Personalizer.

The default is "I will accept any upgrade".

Edited by JF - retired RRT

We have had a mini on the Dolphin deck on all our cruises (6) and the open balcony never bothered us. It's not like people hang over their decks to gawk at you and we have nothing to hide anyway. There is always part of the day when the deck is in the shade.

We do enjoy the space.

I am totally with you on this. I would take one of those again any time.

I love that last brandy in the evening before retiring, sitting on the open balcony, looking at the sea and stars.

Dixon

We have had a couple of the minis on Emerald Deck and love them but we do avoid the cabins directly over the stage in Club Fusion which is aft port side on deck 7 as some people have said these are noisy at times.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Based on comments that I have read on Cruise Critic, I decided to book one of the mini-suites with the covered balcony on Emerald Deck for my short cruise on the Crown Princess later this month. After I booked the cabin, I called Princess and asked them to mark this "no upgrade." Because my cabin is on the starboard side, I am hoping that there will not be too much noise from Club Fusion below.

Chuck

Hi,

Based on comments that I have read on Cruise Critic, I decided to book one of the mini-suites with the covered balcony on Emerald Deck for my short cruise on the Crown Princess later this month. After I booked the cabin, I called Princess and asked them to mark this "no upgrade." Because my cabin is on the starboard side, I am hoping that there will not be too much noise from Club Fusion below.

Chuck

You made a good choice! :D

Hi,

Chuck

Chuck,

On the starboard side, you should have no noise from the nightclub. You might hear and feel more moaning and grinding from the thrusters because you're in the back of the ship.

Jim