Crown Taking a Detour?

goncruzn

I was following the bridge cam for the Crown today and it was heading this morning toward Skagway on its normal itinerary, and now I see it's heading toward Endicott Arm. There did seem to be a lot of low lying fog so I'm wondering if there was not enough visibility to safely enter the port?

I just looked at the weather forecast for Skagway and there is a high wind warning in effect until 7pm so that may be why they missed this port. The weather hasn't looked very pretty this past week. Hope it clears up a bit before we leave this weekend. Oh well, it's still a cruise and I'm sure it will be beautiful anyway.

According to a friend who lives in Skagway and works in tourism, the serious high winds have caused three ships to turn around and not port. She did say that one was dockside but did not say which one. She says the sun is out but the winds are still strong. This is not especially unusual weather for Skagway this time of year.

I just looked at the weather forecast for Skagway and there is a high wind warning in effect until 7pm so that may be why they missed this port. The weather hasn't looked very pretty this past week. Hope it clears up a bit before we leave this weekend. Oh well, it's still a cruise and I'm sure it will be beautiful anyway.

I'm leaving on September 12th on the Crown and would be upset if we missed that port since that is the only port we have a scheduled excursion. But, on the other hand, I'm still on a cruise and I will enjoy myself regardless!

Being a relative cruising noob, what happens when a port is missed? Just an extra day at sea? I liked our sea days on our first cruise, so I don't see that as a bad thing.

A leisurely sea day to the next port & possibly scenic cruising or less likely an alternative port of call. If a sea day they increase the onboard activities & usually print an updated Patter.

three ships did not make it into Skagway today....A major fall storming is barreling up the coast with hurricane...(65-75mph)....it will be up towards Nome or Barrow in a week or so, but right now it is pretty bad...Sitka had major flooding as well as a major landslide that took down a few houses...Skagway is also expected to flood. Have friends who live in both places...unusual weather but not rare.....

A leisurely sea day to the next port & possibly scenic cruising or less likely an alternative port of call. If a sea day they increase the onboard activities & usually print an updated Patter.

Thanks for the info!

three ships did not make it into Skagway today....A major fall storming is barreling up the coast with hurricane...(65-75mph)....it will be up towards Nome or Barrow in a week or so, but right now it is pretty bad...Sitka had major flooding as well as a major landslide that took down a few houses...Skagway is also expected to flood. Have friends who live in both places...unusual weather but not rare.....

Oh man, I hope your friends and their homes will be ok.

I am on the Crown right now in Endicott Arm. We did indeed skip Skagway along with the Star and Solstice. Noordam was able to dock as they were assigned to the railroad dock forward berth which is sheltered from the wind. No available berths or anchorages today in Juneau, Haines, or Icy Straight. Spent a spectacular day cruising Endicott Arm instead with narration all day. Pretty good substitute for Skagway IMHO. We are currently headed out of the arm to go whale watching. Tomorrow we will be right back here for Tracy Arm. Lousy weather thus far, but making the best of it.

I am on the Crown right now in Endicott Arm. We did indeed skip Skagway along with the Star and Solstice. Noordam was able to dock as they were assigned to the railroad dock forward berth which is sheltered from the wind. No available berths or anchorages today in Juneau, Haines, or Icy Straight. Spent a spectacular day cruising Endicott Arm instead with narration all day. Pretty good substitute for Skagway IMHO. We are currently headed out of the arm to go whale watching. Tomorrow we will be right back here for Tracy Arm. Lousy weather thus far, but making the best of it.

I know it can't be fun having lousy weather your entire trip but hopefully things will get better as the week progresses. Glad to hear you're making the best of it!

To any worried about Alaska's weather for upcoming cruises...Alaska is HUGE. Here in Anchorage, we had a glorious sunny day today while apparently Skagway was battered by severe wind. I haven't even read of any storms here this week, and the forecast shows great weather in the 60s for Anchorage the next week. Weather varies so drastically here from minute to minute and place to place, and the forecast is hit or miss. No matter what, the scenery is spectacular! Happy cruising, and I hope you make all your ports! [emoji568]

Celebrity Solstice is spending a full day in Victoria, arriving at 08:00 instead of 6:00pm.

Now i wouldn't mind spending a full day in Victoria. Such a beautiful city, and with the current itineraries getting there in the evening for a few hours just doesn't give you enough time to appreciate it.

Our son and family are on the Grand Princess and she is docked in Skagway. It looks overcast but of course, can't tell about the wind.

It looks like they haven't had the best weather this week but from the webcams and weather reports it has been mostly cloudy with some rain.

We have been to ALASKA many times and there is no predicting ahead how it will be when you are there.

Of course it is always great weather in the gorgeous ships!

Our son and family are on the Grand Princess and she is docked in Skagway. It looks overcast but of course, can't tell about the wind.

It looks like they haven't had the best weather this week but from the webcams and weather reports it has been mostly cloudy with some rain.

We have been to ALASKA many times and there is no predicting ahead how it will be when you are there.

Of course it is always great weather in the gorgeous ships!

Enjoy the rest of your cruise. :)