Tropical Depression, Tropical Storm , Hurricane

volmoma

Leaving Sunday on the Conquest! St. Maarten, St.Kitts, San Juan, Grand Turk. Doesn't look good! Making sure I have enough Bonine and ginger pills. Maybe a little rough! We will make the best of it. I'm hoping its not a total bust. Fingers crossed!!!

We are also on the Conquest Sunday. We may end up going to the western caribbean. It looks like Danny is going towards St. Kitts, St. Martin and San Juan. We have the time to sail around it but no telling what kind of damage the ports will have. Prayers for safety and calm for the folks on the islands.

We will also be leaving on the Conquest this coming Sunday. No telling where we will end up as far as the itinerary. We are just glad to be on the ship and it will be our 81st cruise!!! John & Priscilla :)

It's amazing that people complain of missed ports due to hurricane.

They are complaining that, as luck would have it, they may NEED to miss a port for safety. I didn't read any posts indicating that they would prefer to 'throw caution to the wind' and go to the ports anyway. Just that they wish that they had better timing/luck that would allow them to get to the ports that they were looking forward to. I think that they come here and write it out to get comfort from fellow cruisers that would understand their disappointment.

We are leaving on Sunday on the Dream out of NOLA going to Belize, Cozumel and Roatan! As long as I'm on a cruise ship I am happy, no matter where we go!!:)

Chris and Paige Adams are on their Honeymoon leaving on the Dream. We were but rebooked on the Sunshine.... Wishing you guys a GREAT CRUISE!!!

Looking now as getting there is not the issue but leaving .................

True! Once on the ship you're perfectly fine. :)

Problems come when a hurricane or bad tropical storm hits your embarkation/disembarkation port which causes major travel issues getting to and from your ship. :(

LuLu

I know if weather threatens they do skip ports....my question....it's an 8 day southern Caribbean, leaving Friday 8/21, on the Sunshine, with only 3 ports. Aruba, Curacao and Grand Turk in that order. Wonder if reversing the ports would be of any help in avoiding the bad weather?? It has gone from depression to storm already. Strong hurricane, weak hurricane it's all a hurricane!!!!! [emoji100][emoji100][emoji97][emoji97][emoji298]️[emoji298]️

Don't worry the capt. will keep you safe.

We received this notice today. No itenerary changes? Not sure how they can say that. We are scheduled for st Thomas the same day hurricane Danny (probably a tropical storm by then) is supposed to be there. Why not skip St Thomas and just spend the day at sea? I would take a sunny day at sea vs a port day with rain

1440200260958.jpg.a5cadc421741f8e2208f59e315dfd58f.jpg

If switching the order of ports would help the ship make the stops, I'm sure the Captain would make the decision to do just that. The cruise line does not enjoy disappointing the passengers. Having a ship full of angry people is not fun to handle either.

Anyone who books a cruise between August and October has to be aware of the chance of hurricanes or tropical storms. To me, the ports are not as important as the conditions of the seas. Who wants to have everyone suffering from seasickness? I cruise for the cruise and not the ports. If any of them have to be skipped, I am OK with that. The Captain knows best.

We received this notice today. No itenerary changes? Not sure how they can say that. We are scheduled for st Thomas the same day hurricane Danny (probably a tropical storm by then) is supposed to be there. Why not skip St Thomas and just spend the day at sea? I would take a sunny day at sea vs a port day with rain

Thanks for sharing that notice. Unfortunately, it was too small for me to read. I'll take your word about what it says.

According to the latest projections from the National Hurricane Center at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/152023.shtml?5-daynl?large#contents , Danny is due to hit St. Thomas early Tuesday morning. The ship would have left several hours before.

Putting on my captain's hat (I'm not a captain, but I did drive by a Holiday Inn Express! :D), dropping due south from Charlotte Amalie at 5 PM looks safe enough at the present time, eventually heading southeast towards Barbados. Of course, there may be nautical reasons not to head that way, and if Danny speeds up, that could screw up everything. But as of this time, I think it's reasonable to not require any itinerary changes at the present time.

But it should be quite the adventure and you're heading right into it. :) Good luck, have a safe trip, and be sure to share your stories when you come back.

WTNT34 KNHC 221736

TCPAT4

BULLETIN

HURRICANE DANNY INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 17A

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL042015

200 PM AST SAT AUG 22 2015

...HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT APPROACHING DANNY...

...NEW TROPICAL STORM WATCH ISSUED FOR PORTIONS OF THE LEEWARD

ISLANDS...

SUMMARY OF 200 PM AST...1800 UTC...INFORMATION

-----------------------------------------------

LOCATION...15.5N 52.4W

ABOUT 635 MI...1020 KM E OF THE LEEWARD ISLANDS

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...85 MPH...135 KM/H

PRESENT MOVEMENT...WNW OR 285 DEGREES AT 12 MPH...19 KM/H

MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...985 MB...29.09 INCHES

WATCHES AND WARNINGS

--------------------

CHANGES WITH THIS ADVISORY:

Here is the latest on the storm:

The Government of France has issued a tropical storm watch for

Guadeloupe, St. Barthelemy, and St. Martin.

SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT:

A Tropical Storm Watch is in effect for...

* Antigua, Barbuda, Montserrat, St. Kitts, Nevis, and

Anguilla

* Saba and St. Eustatius

* St. Maarten

* Guadeloupe, St. Barthelemy, and St. Martin

A Tropical Storm Watch means that tropical storm conditions are

possible within the watch area, generally within 48 hours.

Edited by Ykgorbie

No news yet from Carnival on our 4-day 8/27 cruise from Charleston to Nassau. Would they cancel the cruise altogether (since it's our only stop) or just keep us out to sea if they can't make Nassau? Maybe try another port?

No news yet from Carnival on our 4-day 8/27 cruise from Charleston to Nassau. Would they cancel the cruise altogether (since it's our only stop) or just keep us out to sea if they can't make Nassau? Maybe try another port?

I doubt there will be any changes to your cruise. You leave on 8/27, which is Thursday. By Saturday the 29th when you get to Nassau, Danny will be well north of the Bahamas if he'seven still a storm.

Wondering about Tampa weather 8/31 for Paradise embarkation. Uh oh.

Danny will be long gone by 8/31, and isn't likely to affect Tampa in any significant way anyway.

Edited by gtalum

I doubt there will be any changes to your cruise. You leave on 8/27, which is Thursday. By Saturday the 29th when you get to Nassau, Danny will be well north of the Bahamas if he'seven still a storm.

Not sure about that. The last forecast projection cruise critic had on their FB page showed the storm at the southeast tip of Cuba on Thursday, which is the day we board. That would mean it would be just south of Nassau. :(

Ick, my problem is where does Danny go AFTER Puerto Rico and St. Thomas? We leave the 29th from Port Canaveral for 2 sea days and then St. Maartin, St. Kitts, Puerto Rico and Grand Turk.

I'm also worried about the two systems following Danny coming off the coast of Africa.

We don't care where we go as long as the path to boarding the ship is clear. We are flying in this Thursday for 2 days in Cocoa Beach beforehand. Fingers crossed! :)

Sharon

Edited by SharonCruise