Quality of Internet on freedom of the sea

judymag

Hi I'm sailing on freedom of the seas on the 6th of September and think I may buy an Internet package is the internet fast enough to face time and Skype as I'm traveling from Ireland and would use it to keep in contact with home

Was on Freedom in July.. the week of the Fire...

Internet was horrible... most of the time I could not even get the login screen to come on... When you did connect, it was OK for checking email and some light surfing... but I'd get frustrated and quit most of the time.

• 1 month later...

Looking for an update on Freedom's internet. I think we'll be needing the unlimited internet for our October cruise for schoolwork - just sending completed papers, etc.

Current pricing? C&A discount? (Nothing major - we're gold.) Overall impressions, etc.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Looking for an update on Freedom's internet. I think we'll be needing the unlimited internet for our October cruise for schoolwork - just sending completed papers, etc.

Current pricing? C&A discount? (Nothing major - we're gold.) Overall impressions, etc.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Last I heard, $20 per day for one device, $30 per day for two devices.

Thanks, Bob. Isn't there an unlimited package as well? We MAY be able to get away with one day - but we'll see when as the cruise approaches.

Those were the prices for unlimited internet when you purchase for all days of the cruise. A single 24 hour unlimited period costs more.

Internet was unpredictable was out for 24 hours when I really needed it took ages to send stuff did find that if I was in my room which was near the bridge I got a good connection

Fortunately we're all the way forward on deck 12 - pretty much RIGHT near the captain's quarters. (I think that's where they are.) Hopefully he gets a good connection. :D

Also - Bob - I thought there was an unlimited internet package for the whole 7 days that was a little cheaper. Was I mistaken. Can't find it on the website - go figure.

We were on the Freedom August 9-16. I thought the internet was acceptable, except the last day, when it was unusable. We never had an issue logging in.

The price was $39.95 for a single 24-hr period, or $20/day (one device) or $30/day (two devices) if you purchased it for the remainder of the cruise. So, on Day 1 it was $140 for unlimited for the week for one device. The next day it went down to $120 and so on. There was a $9.95 special the last day for 30 minutes.

You can see the prices, etc. in the Cruise Compass's located here:

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc

We were on the Freedom August 9-16. I thought the internet was acceptable, except the last day, when it was unusable. We never had an issue logging in.

The price was $39.95 for a single 24-hr period, or $20/day (one device) or $30/day (two devices) if you purchased it for the remainder of the cruise. So, on Day 1 it was $140 for unlimited for the week for one device. The next day it went down to $120 and so on. There was a $9.95 special the last day for 30 minutes.

You can see the prices, etc. in the Cruise Compass's located here:

mac_tlc

Excellent - thanks everyone for all your help!

Wasn't FOS in dry dock earlier this year? I wonder why they did not upgrade the Internet service?

Yes, Freedom was in dry dock in Jan/Feb 2015. Royal gave no public announcement with regard to internet service.

While I was on the Freedom in last July, I was told by a reliable source that the internet was going to be upgraded in October. I also heard from a passenger who was on it a few weeks ago that they heard the same thing. I am keeping my fingers cross.

While I was on the Freedom in last July, I was told by a reliable source that the internet was going to be upgraded in October. I also heard from a passenger who was on it a few weeks ago that they heard the same thing. I am keeping my fingers cross.

That is good news. We have a cruise on FOS scheduled for May 2016. It will be nice to have the upgraded Internet.

That is good news. We have a cruise on FOS scheduled for May 2016. It will be nice to have the upgraded Internet.

Yes, that would be very nice. I am one of the strange people who actually tries to do work on the ship. A better internet would be fantastic!

Yes, that would be very nice. I am one of the strange people who actually tries to do work on the ship. A better internet would be fantastic!

The slow internet on the ships has been my excuse for not bothering to take my work laptop on a cruise. The Internet service was super fast on Oasis last year and the prices for the Internet packages were very reasonable. I was able to stream video, FaceTime and upload photos without any problems. I won't let my job know how much it has improved. ;-)

The slow internet on the ships has been my excuse for not bothering to take my work laptop on a cruise. The Internet service was super fast on Oasis last year and the prices for the Internet packages were very reasonable. I was able to stream video, FaceTime and upload photos without any problems. I won't let my job know how much it has improved. ;-)

I think that's how I got hooked on cruising back in the day when it was almost a complete disconnect with some spotty phone service on the islands. The day the bosses figure out how much better communications are on a ship will be the day they pick up the tab for it. :D

• 3 months later...