HAL 9/24/16 Seattle round trip too late in season?

cruisingnana

In my opinion, yes, way too late. Daylight is way lacking, dark before 7pm. A lot of tours will be closed and so will some shops. for me- it would have to be a give away- WITH my usual multiple sailings prior in the SAME season.

I suggest you look at the first week of Sept or earlier. The lack of daylight is significant- IF you have the interest in scenic sailing. (it doesn't matter to a lot of people)

Figure out WHAT tours you are wanting to take? Glacier Dog Sledding, isn't likely to be available in Sept. A few others shut down in Sept. Do this homework FIRST, in my opinion.

August is the start of the wet season.... it's wetter in September... great if you are a storm chaser. Hope no one has motion sickness issues.

Otherwise, enjoy the low prices on those rare September sunny days.

Yes the experience will be different than the summer months. Negatives will be less daylight and also colder weather with possibly more precipitation.

Pros will be less people in towns with less ships.

When it comes to weather you just never know for sure.

I've been to Alaska many times.

In August, 2011 was there and it was rainy everyday and too many ships in port. It felt as bad as the Caribbean. Returned in April, 2012 and we were the first ship in port by around three weeks. Yes, the chain stores were closed. The kind you see in the Caribbean. But all the local stores were opened just for us and they welcomed us there. It was great to be the only ship in port and while cold in most ports our day at Glacier Bay was one of those once a year events. The best day we ever had.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-CwKfZ5pxEI8/T4idk07txMI/AAAAAAAAQrc/XH7ckvP-m-E/s1600/DSC_4215.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-O0ERXiARuIk/T4idpomyZKI/AAAAAAAAQrk/L5chY97PBtg/s1600/DSC_4216.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-1qxcrjPjkY8/T4idznBV57I/AAAAAAAAQr0/2FKWyQxQk0Y/s1600/DSC_4218.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-mTmVft3ZsvM/T4hXzUcluzI/AAAAAAAAQqQ/8lSPPiYBb0A/s1600/DSC_4196.jpg

For me, it's great to see places different times of the year and when it comes to weather you never know.

Many will disagree with me but that is what makes life go around.

Keith

If the price was right then sure I would do it. You run the risk of poor weather in Alaska any month of the cruise season....its just that you are more likely to have it in late September...but that's what S/E Alaska is. Shorter daylight hours don't bother me, I am usually doing something entertainment wise after dinner. Yes, some the excursions will not be operating but there will still be lots to choose from and there will be some great deals in the shops that are still open.

If the price was right, we'd consider it. Our first cruise, decades ago, was a late September Alaska cruise. We had 40' seas coming out of Sitka. That ship was only 9,000 GRT. While todays ships are much larger, seas that rough would still impact your cruise, particularly as the Seattle cruises spend much more time out in the open Pacific.

If the price was right, we'd consider it. Our first cruise, decades ago, was a late September Alaska cruise. We had 40' seas coming out of Sitka. That ship was only 9,000 GRT. While todays ships are much larger, seas that rough would still impact your cruise, particularly as the Seattle cruises spend much more time out in the open Pacific.

I think 2 years ago, a ship was kept at the dock in Whittier in mid or late September for a few days due to severe high winds. Other ships were also greatly affected by the weather. It was a terrible storm.

We are also considering a Sept 10th or 17th Northbound or Southbound cruise next year. We live just shy of the Canadian border in Washington. Used to 8 hours of daylight in winter, cold and rain/snow. It seems like Sept in Alaska is October in Washington. Am I at least close in my assessment? note: we are not sun worshipers and take massive amounts of Vitamin D, so we are not looking to sunbathe.

We were in Ketchikan May 1st of this year and loved being the only ship in port.

I think 2 years ago, a ship was kept at the dock in Whittier in mid or late September for a few days due to severe high winds. Other ships were also greatly affected by the weather. It was a terrible storm.

I am not sure what you are suggesting. Last year in late September 2 HAl ships were held in Vancouver overnight due to a bad storm. Ships get diverted in the Caribbean during hurricane season. There can be some rough rides up the coast to Seattle and Vancouver during repositioning season....weather can always be an issue where ever you cruise. What happens one year means nothing.

We are also considering a Sept 10th or 17th Northbound or Southbound cruise next year. We live just shy of the Canadian border in Washington. Used to 8 hours of daylight in winter, cold and rain/snow........

If I lived close to the port like you do, had the free time available, and could pick up a great price drop on a September cruise, sure I would go for it too, despite the drawbacks.

The early darkness bothers me much more than the cold or rain on those end of season cruises.

You miss out on seeing a lot of great scenery at that time of year because you cruise right by it in darkness.

We have also run into heavy fog, even in the daytime, which also really cuts down on the sightseeing.

I still remember the time we had planned to have breakfast out on our balcony to enjoy the views while cruising through a scenic area early the following morning, so we put out the breakfast door hanger with our order the night before.

We woke up the next morning, opened the curtains to look out, and could see nothing but fog.

We could not even see the end of the balcony. So I picked up the phone, canceled our breakfast order, and crawled back into bed.

If I lived close to the port like you do, had the free time available, and could pick up a great price drop on a September cruise, sure I would go for it too, despite the drawbacks.

The early darkness bothers me much more than the cold or rain on those end of season cruises.

You miss out on seeing a lot of great scenery at that time of year because you cruise right by it in darkness.

We have also run into heavy fog, even in the daytime, which also really cuts down on the sightseeing.

I still remember the time we had planned to have breakfast out on our balcony to enjoy the views while cruising through a scenic area early the following morning, so we put out the breakfast door hanger with our order the night before.

We woke up the next morning, opened the curtains to look out, and could see nothing but fog.

We could not even see the end of the balcony. So I picked up the phone, canceled our breakfast order, and crawled back into bed.

This is my thinking as well. I significantly sail Alaska for the scenic sailing. Sept. is grossly lacking for this priority. I also do not find the rates- booked in advance enough of a discount, in my opinion. ALWAYS- when I'm cruising in Sept- I have always, had cruises, prior that season. NEVER would I book a Sept cruise as the only one. I pick them up when they are given away, only. :)

We are also considering a Sept 10th or 17th Northbound or Southbound cruise next year. We live just shy of the Canadian border in Washington. Used to 8 hours of daylight in winter, cold and rain/snow. It seems like Sept in Alaska is October in Washington. Am I at least close in my assessment? note: we are not sun worshipers and take massive amounts of Vitamin D, so we are not looking to sunbathe.

We were in Ketchikan May 1st of this year and loved being the only ship in port.

It is more like Nov, in NY. :)

As a consideration- if you can be flexible, with your dates and sailings, you have an excellent opportunity to pick up the late discounts. I've seen them every year for over the past 10 (how I cruise). IF you had a 3 week block, I have no doubt you could get a 14 day sailing- again being open, to even changing ships. :)

I am not sure what you are suggesting. Last year in late September 2 HAl ships were held in Vancouver overnight due to a bad storm. Ships get diverted in the Caribbean during hurricane season. There can be some rough rides up the coast to Seattle and Vancouver during repositioning season....weather can always be an issue where ever you cruise. What happens one year means nothing.

I would not recommend one take a cruise in hurricane season in the Caribbean if they want "good weather", set on ports or have never been there before. I think my 2nd cruise to the Caribbean was the last week in November (Thanksgiving) and we had to switch courses all together and it was rough. It was not my best cruise and presented some unique issues by switching itineraries.

The chances of bad weather drastically increase from Mid-September on in Alaska. If one wants to increase their chances of good weather, they should avoid this time frame.

It is different if it is your 10th cruise to Alaska as opposed to your only trip there.

Edited by Coral

If you're looking at mid/late Sept in order to take advantage of off season rates, consider the pre-season time frame over post-season. Mid to late May is generally drier and sunnier in comparison to mid Sept.

I love late May and have had great weather during this time.

I would not recommend one take a cruise in hurricane season in the Caribbean if they want "good weather", set on ports or have never been there before. I think my 2nd cruise to the Caribbean was the last week in November (Thanksgiving) and we had to switch courses all together and it was rough. It was not my best cruise and presented some unique issues by switching itineraries.

The chances of bad weather drastically increase from Mid-September on in Alaska. If one wants to increase their chances of good weather, they should avoid this time frame.

It is different if it is your 10th cruise to Alaska as opposed to your only trip there.

Taking all of the above into consideration, as I said in my original post....if the price were right, sure I would do it. In fact if we had found a cruise in mid to late September last year we were going to take it....but we missed the great deal by a week and didn't go. Now you may not agree with my opinion but that does not make you correct, we will simply agree to disagree. I have been in Alaska in September and every other month of the Alaska season and crewed on smaller boats up and down the coast....September doesn't bother me in the least, what you are seeing then is what Alaska is for the other 9 months of the year.

Now, I really like to rough sailings, and wish I could hit more. :) Problem is, the ships are now too big, when they were smaller, I really enjoyed that cork effect, bouncing around. :)

You have an excellent point about being a repeater. I also fail to think sometimes- the single cruise per year that some take. This is a long time between cruises to be so compromised. Very important I think, is to go with plans important to the person.

Edited by Budget Queen

Taking all of the above into consideration, as I said in my original post....if the price were right, sure I would do it. In fact if we had found a cruise in mid to late September last year we were going to take it....but we missed the great deal by a week and didn't go. Now you may not agree with my opinion but that does not make you correct, we will simply agree to disagree. I have been in Alaska in September and every other month of the Alaska season and crewed on smaller boats up and down the coast....September doesn't bother me in the least, what you are seeing then is what Alaska is for the other 9 months of the year.

It just sounds like the OP is new to Alaska. Based on that, I think there are better times to go.

Again, I think it is different if you have been many times.

Now, I really like to rough sailings, and wish I could hit more. :) Problem is, the ships are now too big, when they were smaller, I really enjoyed that cork effect, bouncing around. :)

Try crossing Dixon Entrance and Queen Charlotte Sound in a 5,500 ton vessel with no stabilisers and a full gale blowing...anyone for lunch?:D

Try crossing Dixon Entrance and Queen Charlotte Sound in a 5,500 ton vessel with no stabilisers and a full gale blowing...anyone for lunch?:D

WOW- yippee :) Would have really liked it ( of course no compromise with the seaworthiness of the ship)