Portable Steamers

They are not a fire haszard. That i why they are not listed..Similar items referred to drug paraphenalia

I think the NFPA would disagree with you. Any appliance with a heating element, whether all plastic or not, and whether having an exposed heating surface or not, is a fire hazard unless used EXACTLY as outlined in the UL approval. This includes never leaving them plugged in when not in use, and regular inspections. Since the cruise lines cannot ensure compliance by all guests, they ban their use completely. I wish lines like RCI would just write what they mean in these lists of prohibited items.

Many home fires are traced to appliances whose "auto off" switch has failed and the plastic appliance has melted and caught fire.

Thw water that heats in mini steamer is less HOT than coffeee served onboard. Have used one for 10 years and no probs or confiscation. It boils 1/2 cup water only

I'm not sure why you would think that the water which the mini steamer must boil to produce steam is less hot than the coffee. :confused:

Thw water that heats in mini steamer is less HOT than coffeee served onboard. Have used one for 10 years and no probs or confiscation. It boils 1/2 cup water only

The problem is not how hot the water gets, but whether the unit shuts off the heating element once the water is all boiled off. So long as there is water to absorb the heat, all is well. Once there is no longer any water, if the heater does not turn off due to a failed thermostat, the case of the steamer will heat up and melt, becoming fuel to ignite a fire.

This will be our 20th cruise and never had it taken.we were on the Mercury LAST domestic cruise way back.Most current was Celebrity and NO Probs,This has shut off.Why theOutblasts on this? Seabourne Regency and Crystal have NO probs either

This will be our 20th cruise and never had it taken.we were on the Mercury LAST domestic cruise way back.Most current was Celebrity and NO Probs,This has shut off.Why theOutblasts on this? Seabourne Regency and Crystal have NO probs either

It's the rule on Royal. It may get confiscated.

We are on the Getaway and this LIST is most current AND NO mention of steamers Prohibited items:

Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas

Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. Personal grooming items such as safety razors, or scissors with a blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.

Illegal Drugs and Substances

Candles and Incense

Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Heating Pads and Hot Plates — pose a fire hazard

Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows and Arrows

Skateboards and Surfboards

Diver Tanks, empty or full.

Martial Arts Gear

Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray and night sticks

Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks

HAM Radios

Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint

Floatation Devices, items such as rafts, tubes and floatation devices other than those used as life preservers (water wings) cannot be used in the swimming pools on board

Alcoholic Beverages, NOTE: Alcoholic beverages purchased in port or from onboard shops will be stored by the ship and delivered to you on the last night of sailing. Check with your travel advisor to determine if your cruise line allows alcoholic beverages onboard, policies vary.

You might be on the wrong site. We are Norwegian Getaway leaving out of Port of Miami NOT Canaveral on OCT 31!

Bless your heart. This thread originated on the Royal Boards. It was basically generic to all Royal ships.

I hope you have a safe and neatly pressed voyage on the Getaway.

We are on the Getaway and this LIST is most current AND NO mention of steamers Prohibited items:

Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas

Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. Personal grooming items such as safety razors, or scissors with a blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.

Illegal Drugs and Substances

Candles and Incense

Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Heating Pads and Hot Plates — pose a fire hazard

Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows and Arrows

Skateboards and Surfboards

Diver Tanks, empty or full.

Martial Arts Gear

Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray and night sticks

Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks

HAM Radios

Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint

Floatation Devices, items such as rafts, tubes and floatation devices other than those used as life preservers (water wings) cannot be used in the swimming pools on board

Alcoholic Beverages, NOTE: Alcoholic beverages purchased in port or from onboard shops will be stored by the ship and delivered to you on the last night of sailing. Check with your travel advisor to determine if your cruise line allows alcoholic beverages onboard, policies vary.

This is NOT an iron and YES I called:D NCl and it IS allowed Apparently I was switched to the incorrect thread. I am Norwegian Getaway on Oct 31 and Celebrity Eclipse Jan 10.

It would seem to be that if several threads across the lines exist, this is an issue. I did see a couple of steamers :eek: on the table. In fact one was being picked as I took the pic

I brought a portable steamer on my cruise on the Liberty of the seas

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

...and bought a travel steamer ! This was on the Navigator.

I had never used one before. It is much easier than an iron because you never have counter space in a cabin.

We took a handheld steamer with us on Navigator this week and it was not confiscated. it is all plastic, so maybe they allow that type, or maybe we just got lucky. The bag that had the steamer in it also contained a 12ft extension cord and two table top fans (we gotta sleep with our fans!). Also, it contained a Leatherman tool that was not confiscated. I didn't intend to take it - it was just left in the pocket of that suitcase from a previous trip.