NCL Cancelled Cruises & DSC Increased Rates

tulch

When you select a price protected option for an NCL cancelled cruise, does that include price protection for the DSC charges?

My belief is that if you booked prior to July 31, the lower (pre-increased) rate of $12.50 per person per day for the DSC was in in effect if paid by final deposit date (versus paying for DSC on board). However, many of us now have re-booked our cruises in August, after the July 31 date listed for the lower DSC booking date.

Do we still get the lower DSC rate?

When you select a price protected option for an NCL cancelled cruise, does that include price protection for the DSC charges?

My belief is that if you booked prior to July 31, the lower (pre-increased) rate of $12.50 per person per day for the DSC was in in effect if paid by final deposit date (versus paying for DSC on board). However, many of us now have re-booked our cruises in August, after the July 31 date listed for the lower DSC booking date.

I tried to check, but it shows prepaying my services charges as "not an option" right now.

My original cruise was booked months ago, and when this cruise was rebooked to another date this week, my reservation number with NCL and original book date remained the same, so I still have the DSC price guarantee.

But if your cruise was cancelled and you were rebooked with a new reservation number, then my understanding is you have started from fresh again and the new DSC charge will apply.

This is what I believe is the case...

Best bet is to call NCL but you would likely get a different answer each time you called. I personally would hope for the best and expect the worst and budget for the higher amount.

I rebooked our cruise for a price protected sailing and specifically asked about the DSC increase. The agent I spoke with was very clear about putting that in her notes to be sure it didn't change (I called on Monday with all the chaos and the systems not working), so I got the feeling that unless you specifically talk to them about it during your rebook, you are very likely to be paying the increased charges.

Also, my reservation number did not change with the rebook, despite sailing 10 months earlier.

Just my experience, YMMV.

Automatic gratuities are not required? I wonder how many passengers will choose to give independent tips?

Anytime someone asks what the expected tip is over the DSC, or if they have a question about the DSC, the same few people chime in that you can remove the DSC entirely. Some claim it's easy, others argue it is hard. I wouldn't know because my personal moral standards would not allow me to reduce the DSC.

Here's NCL's take on reducing or eliminating the DSC:

If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board?

Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

From http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

So, I would read that to mean if you have a service problem you should try to resolve it with the ship's staff. Then, if you cannot, you have to option of expressing your displeasure with the staff by reducing the DSC.

You can adjust your NOT mandatory DSC so why would you need price protection. Use cash as you go in the dining rooms and for your cabin Stewart in amounts you feel are warranted.

I've often wondered when I see it posted, what is a cabin Stewart?

Ignore what's on the website regarding having the staff try to "fix" your issue before reducing the DSC.

You can reduce the DSC at any time for any reason, once on board.

I stated in a different thread that, since I will not be using the main dining rooms at all, I will be reducing my DSC by 1/3 (by simply opting out of the DSC for one of the three people in my party).

I will go to the front desk and do this. My stated reason will be that I am already paying tips for my dinners at the specialties, and do not wish to double tip. (On a side note, I don't believe the DSC directly goes to the crew, but rather reimburses NCL for what they are already being paid.)

However, even without a stated reason, you can reduce or eliminate the DSC at any time.

Edited by pokerpro5

Ignore what's on the website regarding having the staff try to "fix" your issue before reducing the DSC.

You can reduce the DSC at any time for any reason, once on board.

I stated in a different thread that, since I will not be using the main dining rooms at all, I will be reducing my DSC by 1/3 (by simply opting out of the DSC for one of the three people in my party).

I will go to the front desk and do this. My stated reason will be that I am already paying tips for my dinners at the specialties, and do not wish to double tip. (On a side note, I don't believe the DSC directly goes to the crew, but rather reimburses NCL for what they are already being paid.)

However, even without a stated reason, you can reduce or eliminate the DSC at any time.

I might agree that your proposed plan sounded fair if the DSC were only going to wait staff. If there are three meals in a day and you are eating one of them in a venue where you must pay an automatic gratuity for the service received there then that could explain the deduction. But what about the cabin steward and the behind the scenes staff?

Rochelle

I might agree that your proposed plan sounded fair if the DSC were only going to wait staff. If there are three meals in a day and you are eating one of them in a venue where you must pay an automatic gratuity for the service received there then that could explain the deduction. But what about the cabin steward and the behind the scenes staff?

I think these are "troll posts" just intended to see everyone get upset. Not that the posters themselves are trolls according to the classic definition, but that they enjoy seeing people get upset about their supposed plans.

I don't believe they actually reduce the DSC. I think it's all for effect here.

I hope NCL makes it mandatory at some point, and that it has to be paid by final payment. Or, that they simply refuse reservations from people who really do routinely reduce the DSC.

Rochelle

I am not going to use the MDR at all. We go to the buffet for the other meals.

I will also give additional cash tips to the steward.

A small % of the 1/3 deduction is also due to the fact that NCL raised my DSC after booking, which shouldn't have happened. Everyone who booked already should have been grandfathered at the old DSC.

Again, after studying the situation, I think there is a good chance that deducting from the DSC does NOT take money from the crew. I believe the crew get a flat rate and NCL is simply using the DSC to pay themselves back for the crew salary. This is also why NCL won't break down what occurs when the DSC is removed (does the staff get less pay?) or increased (do they get more pay?) The fact that NCL has acknowledged that some of the DSC is used for "team building exercises" especially makes me uncomfortable.

It is not my fault that NCL "broke" the entire DSC concept by excluding the specialties, which essentially forces me to double tip. I am adjusting for that.

Overall I will be leaving more tips than I would have under the old DSC model where I would have left it in place for 3 people with specialties included. Now I'm leaving it there for 2 people, tipping specialties separately (forced upon me), and tipping the stewart extra cash provided he does a good job.

And no, I'm not trolling.

Oh - I thought there were people working also in the buffet restaurant, but I must have just been seeing ghosts there on my previous cruises and not actually people working.....??? ;)

A small % of the 1/3 deduction is also due to the fact that NCL raised my DSC after booking, which shouldn't have happened. Everyone who booked already should have been grandfathered at the old DSC.

Again, after studying the situation, I think there is a good chance that deducting from the DSC does NOT take money from the crew. I believe the crew get a flat rate and NCL is simply using the DSC to pay themselves back for the crew salary. This is also why NCL won't break down what occurs when the DSC is removed (does the staff get less pay?) or increased (do they get more pay?) The fact that NCL has acknowledged that some of the DSC is used for "team building exercises" especially makes me uncomfortable.

It is not my fault that NCL "broke" the entire DSC concept by excluding the specialties, which essentially forces me to double tip. I am adjusting for that.

Overall I will be leaving more tips than I would have under the old DSC model where I would have left it in place for 3 people with specialties included. Now I'm leaving it there for 2 people, tipping specialties separately (forced upon me), and tipping the stewart extra cash provided he does a good job.

I think you are wrong on many levels... and I also think that if a $3.50 or $7.00 increase for a 7 day cruise ruins your budget.. maybe you can't afford to cruise anyway... it's such a tiny amount... I talked to some in my group that called me when they got the letter about the increase asking what they should do... when they did the math and realized they were getting upset over $7 they laughed... really... $7 wow...just wow... that's all I can say...

I think you are wrong on many levels... and I also think that if a $3.50 or $7.00 increase for a 7 day cruise ruins your budget.. maybe you can't afford to cruise anyway... it's such a tiny amount... I talked to some in my group that called me when they got the letter about the increase asking what they should do... when they did the math and realized they were getting upset over $7 they laughed... really... $7 wow...just wow... that's all I can say...

Why are you being so judgmental? $7 may not be much money to you, but that's hardly the point.

NCL is exhibiting a pattern of offering something then changing the terms after the product is sold. DSC, fleet repositioning, gratuity raise, and so forth.

How are you double tipping when specialty restaurants are a nickel & dime ploy anyway that's not part of the fare even with the promos, while MDR/ Buffet are included in the fare and covered by DSC? Honestly like SuiteRose said - if you can't afford $7 per day for 2 people total for 7 day trip, do not cruise with NCL at all....Because that means you can not afford the extras anyway like specialty restaurants with the 18% tips for 2 people.

And back to my ORIGINAL question: Is the DSC price protected when forced to reschedule due to NCL cancellation of cruises?

The only question being asked here - not the value, morality, desirability of paying the DSC; tipping more or tipping less; or any other questions about paying the DSC. My question: Is the DSC price protected?

The direction this thread has taken is interesting but off-course. I am grateful for any responses to the actual question being posed.

Why are you being so judgmental? $7 may not be much money to you, but that's hardly the point.

NCL is exhibiting a pattern of offering something then changing the terms after the product is sold. DSC, fleet repositioning, gratuity raise, and so forth.

I just choose not to sweat the small stuff and nit pic ...

the fleet repositioning is very exciting.. I know disappointing to some but really an exciting time for Norwegian fans since they'll have a lot more options to choose from... I for one am loving the new vision of the company.

And back to my ORIGINAL question: Is the DSC price protected when forced to reschedule due to NCL cancellation of cruises?

The only question being asked here - not the value, morality, desirability of paying the DSC; tipping more or tipping less; or any other questions about paying the DSC. My question: Is the DSC price protected?

The direction this thread has taken is interesting but off-course. I am grateful for any responses to the actual question being posed.

Its one of those questions that you have to asked the manager of the NCL customer service - Because one would think it should be DSC priced protected since it being reschedule under the same reservation number and/or promos that came with it but it may not due to being moved to different week and/or ship.

And for the record- Anytime DSC is brought up, the thread will always get off-course. Even when the person asking the the question didn't ask for the advice of DSC to be remove; but just wanted to find out if the old rates of DSC is still valid before or after final payment of the fare.(for NCL its before final payment if you still want the old $12-12.95 rates). You asked a good question - but you're going to get different answers that have nothing to do with what you asked because some people have axes to grind....

I've often wondered when I see it posted, what is a cabin Stewart?

You didn't have one in your cabin? Just ask the steward to bring you one. Same thing with loungers and robes.

What I don't understand, is why you are objecting to the DSC which covers a large proportion of the crew - because you're not going to the MDR - instead of resisting the 18% service charge in the Specialty.

Why not make your argument: "I'm removing this 18% since I already paid my DSC"?

Surely the servers, busboys, etc. in the buffet deserve to be paid too?

It feels like you've decided that because you have a flat tire, you're going to repaint the car.

Stephen

Edited by sjbdtz

I just choose not to sweat the small stuff and nit pic ...

the fleet repositioning is very exciting.. I know disappointing to some but really an exciting time for Norwegian fans since they'll have a lot more options to choose from... I for one am loving the new vision of the company.

Are you an NCLH shareholder?

I'm not sure how anyone but a shareholder can love the vision of increased gratuities, increased DSC, room service fees, an aborted attempt to bar food removal from dining rooms, and how NCLH took deposits on cruises they never had any intention to sail.