Equinox Delayed Arrival - Istanbul

absolutboy20

I'm on the Equinox right now and just had an announcement that the ship will not be overnight on August 23rd as previously scheduled and instead arrive in the city on August 24th at 2AM.

The captain stated that due to the increase in heightened security that the overnight was cancelled.

Will keep you posted if any other announcement are made. We already were spending a few more days in Istanbul, but I know there are others who were planning on disembarking tomorrow who are going to be affected.

Departure from Kusadasi has been delayed until 8PM with a sea day scheduled for tomorrow.

I realize this is an Atlantis charter with a unique itinerary.

Any chance the delay may be related to perceived threats against the gay group?

I wonder if Atlantis has requested the change in order to avoid any possible threats and PR that could arise from discriminatory tactics by the locals.

I've sailed with Atlantis in the past, and have a reservation next year. :D

I seriously doubt that a request by a group would influence the planning of a port visit. When boarding a cruise ship one should always be aware of a change in itinerary. It always amazes me how people plan weddings on an island during hurricane season....

The migrant situation in Europe is volatile at the moment. Turkey is particularly impacted due to its borders. The Captain will be taking advice from Corporate who in turn will have received information from their Port Agents. Passenger safety is always paramount.

Edited to add : they've already visited Turkey on this itinerary..... maybe information has been received since then

Edited by NorbertsNiece

It appears that the next cruise after us will be pulling out of port instead of spending the night so it doesn't seem to be exclusive to the charter. The announcement came rather late, around 3PM from the captain that we will not be pulling into port tomorrow.

I personally am happy that we get another sea day tomorrow as this cruise was so port intensive. Now Atlantis is reshuffling their parties. White Party is still scheduled for tonight, but disco tea dance has been postponed until tomorrow.

Just enjoying the view of the Island Princess docked right across from us in Kusadasi while questions are shouted at us regarding why there's only men on this cruise =)

I realize this is an Atlantis charter with a unique itinerary.

Any chance the delay may be related to perceived threats against the gay group?

I wonder if Atlantis has requested the change in order to avoid any possible threats and PR that could arise from discriminatory tactics by the locals.

I've sailed with Atlantis in the past, and have a reservation next year. :D

There have been some shooting incidents in Istanbul in the last couple of weeks so =X= has decided to minimise port time there for a while.

Friends sail tom on X for a 1 wk cruise that will stop at Kusadasi....is everything Ok there?

I realize it is nowhere near Istanbul but friends were concerned.

glad we have previously been there & done that!

Thanks for clarifying. We were on the cruise before yours. So two overnighters in Istanbul were planned? Thats a long time in a troubled port. Although we could see trouble brewing all throughout Europe these last couple of weeks.

Kusadasi is very different to Istanbul.

Edited by Pushka