Qu. for cabin upgrade recipients

Bob7

Question for cabin upgrade recipients … those who have received a call or email from CCL offering a cabin upgrade for a fee (cheap or otherwise), did you book directly with CCL or use a TA? Because our experience with the cruise lines is that they will not alter or discuss a booking if not made through them, and they tell the customer to make any alteration requests through the TA that booked the cruise. So we wondered if CCL and the other lines would make an upgrade offer to TA bookings.

For the last 8 years I have booked directly with Carnival and all of my upgrades have been directly with them.

If you book with a TA, any upgrades must be done through them. Carnival will not talk to you directly if you book through a TA.

Edited by Out to sea!

If you booked thru a TA the cruise line will contact the TA. We took an upsell on HAL this way.

Find out your TA's policy. Our TA usually doesn't pass on upsell offers. I just happened to be in her office when the fax came in.

Edited by SadieN

If you booked thru a TA the cruise line will contact the TA. We took an upsell on HAL this way.

Find out your TA's policy. Our TA usually doesn't pass on upsell offers. I just happened to be in her office when the fax came in.

That is just plain wrong.

I think a TA has a obligation to pass on all upgrade offers.

I wonder what the cruise lines would think about them receiving commission but failing to properly service the booking? The TA will get increased commission on the fee upgrades so it is in their best interest to contact the client and go for the upgrade if the client wants it.

Our TA always has always e-mailed me as soon as she received an upgrade offer. On the e-mails I can see the time she got it and the time she sent it to us and it is always within minutes.

I then call her bac to discuss cabin locations that would be acceptable and give her the OK to use our credit card to pay for it.

With Princess and HAL it is first come, first served in the responses and ours has never failed to get us the upgrade offered.

6 Carnival cruises (including next one in 22 days)

2 Upsell Calls

Upsell call First Carnival Cruise (Pride),Booked through Carnival.

The offer: upgrade from inside to 4K French Door for $40 total. Accepted the upsell.

Upsell call upcoming cruise (Pride in 22 days) Booked through Carnival.

The offer: upgrade from extended balcony deck 7 to a junior suite for $500 total. Declined the offer.

These are the only 2 cruises I have booked on my own through Carnival.com without the assistance of a PVP. The first one I booked a few months out. The upcoming cruise i booked well over a year ago.

I wonder what the cruise lines would think about them receiving commission but failing to properly service the booking? The TA will get increased commission on the fee upgrades so it is in their best interest to contact the client and go for the upgrade if the client wants it

In the case of Carnival, it's the upsell fairy calling the phone that gets the commission difference, not the Travel Agent.

This is the first time we got an uppsell call, but this January we just started booking with a PVP instead of whatever rep answers the phone. The call came from our PVP. On our 21 day B2B cruises we were offered an up sell from a 4K French Door interior to a 8K extended balcony for a total of $400. We took it since it worked out to just $19 extra a day for the cabin.

Another question. Did you request your cabin (the one prior to upsell) or was it just what CCL said was available.

NEVER received an offer for an upgrade or upsell.

I've had an upsell in both cases. One was a GTY upgrade and one was a picked cabin upgrade.

6 Carnival cruises (including next one in 22 days)

2 Upsell Calls

Upsell call First Carnival Cruise (Pride),Booked through Carnival.

The offer: upgrade from inside to 4K French Door for $40 total. Accepted the upsell.

Upsell call upcoming cruise (Pride in 22 days) Booked through Carnival.

The offer: upgrade from extended balcony deck 7 to a junior suite for $500 total. Declined the offer.

These are the only 2 cruises I have booked on my own through Carnival.com without the assistance of a PVP. The first one I booked a few months out. The upcoming cruise i booked well over a year ago.

8 plus carnival cruises-1 recent up sell- that's it

Liberty- 4a interior - they called to upgrade to a balcony, any deck $200 - took the offer-

if I was to book myself it would have cost $300, not a big saving but decided for 7 days with my content wife in an interior to 7 days of very happy wife in a balcony- priceless!!!!

Thx everyone for your input. So I did a quick tally and it looks like 8+ upsells were offered on bookings made through CCL, and only 1 upsell offer was made through a TA who was passing along the offer from CCL. SMRN has booked 24 cruises through a TA and never got an upsell offer. Looks like if you want to get upsell offers you should book through CCL.

-Bob

We received one for our first cruise, about 2 weeks before. They were offering us to go from a balcony to a suite (don't remember what kind of suite). We had booked directly with Carnival, we always do and it's the only call or email we have ever received.