Champagne by the Glass?

cp556

We like a mimosa (or two:D) with our lunch, and also a kir royale in the evening, I imagine those are made with champagne, or at least a champagne-type.

I don't drink either of those but wonder if they cannot be made with sparking wine?

Another vote for Prosecco. I also recall the splits of "Champagne" and I am thinking that the brand was one that I have purchased in the past by the bottle for New Year's Eve. Frixident, maybe, was the name? I enjoyed it and was not terribly expensive.

Another vote for Prosecco. I also recall the splits of "Champagne" and I am thinking that the brand was one that I have purchased in the past by the bottle for New Year's Eve. Frixident, maybe, was the name? I enjoyed it and was not terribly expensive.

Freixenet - Spanish white sparkling.

Edited by OlsSalt

I don't drink either of those but wonder if they cannot be made with sparking wine?

They can be. Once you're pouring in Crème de Cassis (Kir Royale) or orange juice (mimosa) there's no point in using expensive Champagne. I guess you could go all fancy and make your Kir with Chambord, but I still prefer good Champagne all by itself in a flute.

If you like sparkling wine try the Champagne Mango Dream in any bar but the Crows Nest seems to have the best ones. Can't find this drink anywhere except on HAL and they are really good!

Add to that their Tropa-Mango-Mojito - agains at the Crows Nest Bar - can't find that anywhere else either - it comes out as a ice-cream headache slurpee -- but once you get reminded (the hard way) keep it away from the soft palate on the roof of the mouth, it is our favorite sail away drink.

Once you're pouring in Crème de Cassis (Kir Royale) or orange juice (mimosa) there's no point in using expensive Champagne.

Have to disagree with this statement ... for a number of reasons:

1) When making spaghetti sauce, you should use the best tomatoes available.

2) When making beef stew, you should use the best cut you can afford.

3) When making a martini, you should use the best vodka/gin available.

etc , you get the point by now.

The ultimate result is only as good as the sum of its components ;)

Have to disagree with this statement ... for a number of reasons:

1) When making spaghetti sauce, you should use the best tomatoes available.

2) When making beef stew, you should use the best cut you can afford.

3) When making a martini, you should use the best vodka/gin available.

etc , you get the point by now.

The ultimate result is only as good as the sum of its components ;)

I agree about the martini, but the gin/vodka makes up nearly the entire drink, so you would taste the difference. In the champagne drinks the cassis or OJ covers up the sins of cheap fizz.

BTW, the whole point of stew is that it's a method of using cheaper/less tender cuts, which often are more flavorful than the more expensive and more tender cuts. It would be a waste to stew filet mignon.

It is all in the bubbles. Fine and refined in the top brands, harsher and more crackly in the lesser ones. Dry or sweeter to your own taste. Agree, once you turn a fine champagne into something else adding extras, why waste the good stuff. A fine glass of champagne is a stand alone event, for both gustatory and visual pleasures. Once you add a sparkling white to other ingredients, it is merely fizz and frisson so go down a notch in your preferred choice.