Over the door organizer for bathroom door

jlx2

I have a silly question about buying an over the door shoe organizer for the bathroom while on board to store toiletry items that everyone has recommended. My questions is I went online to look at them and there are different sizes. I can't remember how wide the doors are on the ship in stateroom bathrooms. I am pretty sure they are normal size, but before I purchase one I want to make sure it will fit. We are staying in a standard oceanview balcony room. Thanks in advance!

Also Dollar Tree (one of those many dollar stores out there) has them for What else? $1.00.

I bought 2 for What else $2.00 - someone recommended putting one in the closet. They actually seem quite sturdy and if I should buy a few too many souveniers then I will just leave the shoes hanger there.

The dollar tree one is not very sturdy-but I bought one and used it in the closet for all MY shoes-the shoes really weighed the cheap plastic down-but it worked-and kept them off the floor-which was perfect. I also brought an "expensive"-$5.00 one at Big Lots-used it on the bathroom door-the side facing the cabin-used it for storing suntan lotion,post-it notes, and lots of other stuff that I just grabed on the way out-or that my DH and DS might use,also. At first I thought it was a waste-but over 7 days-it was really convenient-especially with 3 people in those small rooms. I am taking 2 dollar tree ones and the nicer one this time- I just leave the dollar ones on the ship-not worth bringing back-I am actually still using the good one in my walk-in closet for extra shoes.:D

I have a silly question about buying an over the door shoe organizer for the bathroom while on board to store toiletry items that everyone has recommended. My questions is I went online to look at them and there are different sizes. I can't remember how wide the doors are on the ship in stateroom bathrooms. I am pretty sure they are normal size, but before I purchase one I want to make sure it will fit. We are staying in a standard oceanview balcony room. Thanks in advance!

I just bought mine at the Dollar Store, plastic ones, bought 1 of the regular size, and one child's shoe size.

The dollar tree one is not very sturdy-but I bought one and used it in the closet for all MY shoes-the shoes really weighed the cheap plastic down-but it worked-and kept them off the floor-which was perfect. I also brought an "expensive"-$5.00 one at Big Lots-used it on the bathroom door-the side facing the cabin-used it for storing suntan lotion,post-it notes, and lots of other stuff that I just grabed on the way out-or that my DH and DS might use,also. At first I thought it was a waste-but over 7 days-it was really convenient-especially with 3 people in those small rooms. I am taking 2 dollar tree ones and the nicer one this time- I just leave the dollar ones on the ship-not worth bringing back-I am actually still using the good one in my walk-in closet for extra shoes.:D

I might try Big lots for another one - my question is I believe there is a hook on the inside of the bathroom door but how are you hanging it on the outside? I bought over the door hooks but I think they are too thick and will prevent the door from closing when needed. If you have over the door hooks how thin do they need to be?

Dawn

They are very useful for small items.

After our last cruise, I had tons of film developed. (Yes, I like film cameras.) I could not understand why I was missing a roll of film I took of us in the airport, walking around our port city, etc. I then remembered that my son pulled my sunglass case out of our garbage in the cabin. I can only figure that the roll fell in too.

I already have our shoe holder for our next cruise.

I guess they are handy, but I thought our RCI cabins had plenty of storage space. I myself wouldn't even bother bringing it.

I guess they are handy, but I thought our RCI cabins had plenty of storage space. I myself wouldn't even bother bringing it.

You're right, the bathrooms are capable of storing all your toiletries, no one really needs a shoe holder for the inside of the bathroom.

But...we use one on the outside of the bathroom door. It holds sunglasses, sunscreen, papers, room/sail-and-sign cards, flip flops, evening purses, anything that can add clutter to the cabin. We also use an accordion style shoe holder in the closet for...shoes! I can't stand shoes underfoot, I can't stand a cluttered cabin. The see-through over the door shoe holder has been one of the best packing tips I've ever found. Everything has a place, it's right by the door to grab on your way out, no more hunting for items you know you left on the cluttered desk top.

We even take one to hotel rooms now. They are cheap (we have had the same ones for years now), easy to pack and if you are having trouble re-packing, an item you wouldn't mind tossing or leaving behind. The over the door type has a hook on each end, kind of reminds me of the game "Hang Man", I'm sure someone else knows the name for this type of hook.

Geez we must be getting shortchanged on our bathrooms. Ours have always had a tiny shelf under the sink and enough counter space for a toothbrush. (D1 staterooms and higher on RCI)

We loved the Wal-Mart ($3.87) shoe organizer. It was too wide for the bathroom door, so we folded one section under and the organizer fit the door interior perfectly. The door handle kept it some swaying when the ship rolled...Plenty of room for shaving cream, shampoo, lotions, brushes, deodorants, you name it.

We also remembered to bring a lightweight 20' extension cord so we could use our water pic and hair dryer in the bathroom. (Only plug in RCI cabins is at the desk )

LL

I bought a clear large sized jewelry keeper for the bathroom door. It is narrower than a shoe bag and the pockets are not as large. I wanted something to keep my make-up in, with quick access at a glance.

The hook on the bathroom door was off-set from the center of the door, so the bag hung over the edge. It was impossible to close the door, so I hung it outside the bathroom door where there was a hook on the wall. Because it was away from the bathroom mirror, instead of make-up, I used it for sunscreen, sunglasses, etc.

Here is an example:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000CNQZD/qid=1127585361/br=1-1/ref=br_lf_k_hw_1//104-4224159-5091902?v=glance&s=kitchen&n=3743851

We used a shoe organizer on our Adventure cruise, it was GREAT. It kept the room very neat and organized, you knew where everything was. I purchased it for like $6 from K-mart, the Martha Stewart brand. I fit perfectly and we were still able to close the bathroom door, we plan on using it for our Brillance cruise as there will be three of us in the room.

We have used the same over the door organizer for 14 cruises since 2002...we bought a cheap WalMart one intending to throw it away after we used it for 28 nights of B2B cruises, but it was still in great condition and is going strong. We store it in our biggest suitcase (referred to, in our house, as the CRUISE suitcase).

Just one suggestion...our's came with 4 grommets across the top with hooks that hook into the grommets and go over the bathroom door. We've been on a lot of ships where it works perfectly, and others where it doesn't work so well, such that the bathroom door won't close or the hooks (which are metal) are not wide enough to accomodate the door. We now also pack a length of lightweight cord, which my husband ties to the first grommet and runs over the door to the robe hooks which are on the inside of almost every bathroom door, then back to a grommet and then over the door again, etc. Sounds complicated perhaps, but it takes him all of a minute or so. We just store the cord in one of the pockets if we don't need it.

A clear organizer is the best...ours has 3 columns of pockets on it. One is mine, one is his, and one is for community property, such as sunblock, gum, first aid and meds. I agree that most cabins have ample storage space, but I find it much simpler to keep things in these clear pockets inside of digging through drawers to find them. Plus, on B2B cruises where we've changed cabins between cruises, we simply hang the organizer on the luggage cart supplied when we move, and it simplifies things.

We used a shoe organizer on our Adventure cruise, it was GREAT. It kept the room very neat and organized, you knew where everything was. I purchased it for like $6 from K-mart, the Martha Stewart brand. I fit perfectly and we were still able to close the bathroom door, we plan on using it for our Brillance cruise as there will be three of us in the room.

Hello fellow cruisecritic addic. Can I please borrow you Martha Stewart over the door organizer? :D

teddie - I think that it really depends on which category cabin you are in, and how many people. When I sailed with my two "children" (14 & 16 on our first cruise) in a DB, now an E1, the over-the-door organizer was a life saver - I would have THROTTLED my teenage daughter for hogging all of the space otherwise!

teddie - I think that it really depends on which category cabin you are in, and how many people. When I sailed with my two "children" (14 & 16 on our first cruise) in a DB, now an E1, the over-the-door organizer was a life saver - I would have THROTTLED my teenage daughter for hogging all of the space otherwise!

I concede! Traveling with teen girls is another story entirely, lol. This past July my sister and I vacationed with three teen girls. We actually had to switch to a larger car at the last minute to accomodate the unanticipated amount of luggage THEY brought along.

Archived