Thoughts on this HAL 14 day R/T

Cruiser933

Hubby and I are considering our first AL cruise. We are in our early 50's and have sailed with Carnival in the Caribbean. We are not party people, but do enjoy nightly shows and comedians, so have enjoyed Carnival in the past.

Here is a cruise we are considering on HAL Maasdam:

Depart Seattle

Vancouver Island - Cruising

Ketchikan, Alaska, US

8 – 5

Scenic Cruising Tracy Arm

12 - 5

Juneau, Alaska, US

8 – 10p

Icy Strait Point, Alaska, US

7 – 2

At Sea

Anchorage, Alaska, US

7 – 11p

Homer, Alaska, US

10 - 6

Kodiak, Alaska, US

7 - 2

Hubbard Glacier

3 – 5

Sitka, Alaska, US

8 - 4

At Sea

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

1 - 11

Return to Seattle

I like that this one goes further north than most R/T cruises and has a lot of ports. Do you think this is a good cruise for a first (and maybe only) visit to Alaska? Is it a huge mistake to not do a land tour? And ( no offense), will we find HAL boring compared to Carnival?

It would serve you well, to FIND out about these "extra" cruise stops and determine IF YOU are interested in seeing them and have activities there you want to take. Then you need to do the same thing with any mainland touring you may want to consider.

both choices certainly are great ones to take. Up to you, and your preferences and what you want to see and do.

Hubby and I are considering our first AL cruise. We are in our early 50's and have sailed with Carnival in the Caribbean. We are not party people, but do enjoy nightly shows and comedians, so have enjoyed Carnival in the past.

I like that this one goes further north than most R/T cruises and has a lot of ports. Do you think this is a good cruise for a first (and maybe only) visit to Alaska? Is it a huge mistake to not do a land tour? And ( no offense), will we find HAL boring compared to Carnival?

It is a really good cruise because it hits some interesting ports that most AK cruises skip.

I would disagree on the reason for picking a cruise to AK based on nightly shows and comedians. You go to AK for what is outside of the ship, not what is inside of the ship. Also, during the summer it stays light really late in AK and would you prefer to be outside taking in the scenery or inside watching a show that is basically a rerun of all the rest of the cruise ship shows.

Just my opinion.

DON

I like the itinerary and yes it hits some ports that many cruise ships do not hit. Kodiak is an example of that. They get very few ships now and I enjoyed our time there because you will be the only ship there as we were on a different cruise line.

Keith

Good point on checking out the ports to make sure we like them. I will do that.

Point taken on the entertainment. I totally get that the scenery is the primary entertainment. However, on a 14 day I am sure we will want to spend at least some time watching the main show or comedy. I just want to make sure there are some activities to choose from after dinner.

I've done this fabulous 14 day itinerary three times - albeit on the Amsterdam - and have enjoyed it immensely each time! It is important to note that the first year HAL offered this itinerary (2010), it included Glacier Bay (instead of Tracy Arm), Skagway (instead of ISP), longer times in ports of Homer, Sitka, and Kodiak, AND it sailed on the east side of Vancouver Island on the northbound portion - truly spectacular! Not to say it still isn't a great itinerary, because it is :D hence my 3 times sailing on it. We lparticularly love the fact that there are no repeat ports, and that it goes to those little visited ports like Homer, Kodiak, and Anchorage, that other itineraries miss.

I think it is a wonderful first time AK cruise for someone to get an even more indepth view of Alaska - and trust me, it will whet your appetite to see even more. Since those 3 cruises on this itinerary (as well as two 7-day AK cruises prior to them), did a DIY land only trip that included a week's stay in beautiful Homer, after spending three nights visiting Denali National Park. And - in just 8 days (10 hours and 32 odd minutes - but who's counting:rolleyes:), we'll be embarking on another DIY land only trip spending two nights in DNP, and then a week in a rental cabin just south of Fairbanks. Woo-hoo!:p To say that Alaska has captured our hearts is an understatement. I hope if you choose to take this cruise, the same will happen for you. Enjoy!

If you can swing the time I would really recommend a week in interior Alaska on your own and then take a southbound cruise from anchorage to Vancouver. We did this twice-once in a rental car and once in a motor home rented in anchorage. I can't get enough of this beautiful state and am hoping to do the 14 day HAL cruise next year. Enjoy the planning

Good point on checking out the ports to make sure we like them. I will do that.

Point taken on the entertainment. I totally get that the scenery is the primary entertainment. However, on a 14 day I am sure we will want to spend at least some time watching the main show or comedy. I just want to make sure there are some activities to choose from after dinner.

There will be entertainment after dinner.....singers and dancers, a comedian, a magician. I have never been on a Carnival ship so I have no point of reference but HAL has entertainment as well as a piano bar and dancing for those who are interested.

The 14 day will be on the Maasdam in 2016. It is really a wonderful cruise.

We just got back from a land and sea tour, and I feel if you miss the land portion, you are missing what Alaska is. I recommend at the least doing the tundra tour at denali. Also doing the 26 glacier cruise out of wittier is worth it. The tunnel staging experience shouldn't be leftout. Haha. Another item not to be missed is the Iditarod headquarters. My opinions.

If you can swing the time I would really recommend a week in interior Alaska on your own and then take a southbound cruise from anchorage to Vancouver. We did this twice-once in a rental car and once in a motor home rented in anchorage. I can't get enough of this beautiful state and am hoping to do the 14 day HAL cruise next year. Enjoy the planning

The itinerary I see on several websites show this 14 night is actually a B2B with the same ports twice. Know something I don't?

The itinerary I see on several websites show this 14 night is actually a B2B with the same ports twice. Know something I don't?

They apparently know about the Maasdam doing 14-day r/t cruises from Seattle next summer. ;) It's not a B2B. We did this itinerary on the Amsterdam last year and loved it.

Edited by Mary Ellen

You aren't seeing it. It is a 14 day cruise, round trip Seattle, not a b2b. Over the years, I've seen the itinerary fading from what it was.

You aren't seeing it. It is a 14 day cruise, round trip Seattle, not a b2b. Over the years, I've seen the itinerary fading from what it was.

Thank you. Yes I do see it. Awesome itinerary but pricey. $4200 for a balcony. Of course I now have the same delimina others do. We're not all that far from Elite Plus on Celebrity. A 14 nighter goes a long way. Hate to get trapped into this way of thinking.

We have sailed on HAL and loved it. Although, and I don't recall which ship it was, some negative reviews on the condition of the ship.

I was on this cruise on the Amsterdam in 2011 (hi, Lynda!), and my friends and I loved it. 2011 was the last summer the ship sailed east of Vancouver Island. I would love to do it again, but my next Alaska trip will be a land trip followed by a southbound cruise.

I enjoy the evening shows on ships, and I went to them most evenings on this 14-night cruise. I have no complaints about HAL's evening entertainment.