No More First Lunch Aboard at an MDR?

Smokeyham

When we went to the dining room last year for our BVE on the Regal, it was packed. On the one side there was a travel group dining, where as everyone else was filling the other half. Being a member of the BVE group, of which we never found (on another thread) we were seated, upon presentation of our BVE letter to the waiter for our "free" glass of wine, he took it, returned gave it back to us and were told to leave, that this dining room was for "real" passengers, didn't say in transit or suite, so what could be do, got up left, went to the other side found a man in a white jacket, handed him the letter, told him what the waiter told us, and said no,no....took us BACK to the original dining room and were re-seated (at another table). Another opportunity Princess seems to have gotten wrong. This year, we WILL be "real" passengers on the Regal, and was thinking about doing the embarkation lunch in the MDR vs the buffet. Now its making me think....should I or shouldn't I..maybe I will print off the web page, just in case.

Wow!! Princess really does need to do a better job on training their staff regarding this program. Think of the impact of this event on someone who has never been on a cruise and is trying a BVE (Bon Voyage Experience) to see if they would like cruising.

I am definitely going to print out the page from the website!

What is BVE?

Moondawgie,

Bon Voyage Experience (BVE) is a program which Princess offers on selected sailings where non-passengers can come aboard early (about 11:00 am) and spend about 4 hours aboard. Cost is $39 and includes lunch in a Main Dining Room (hence the connection to this thread) as well as a glass of wine, a souvenir photo, and a tour of the ship.

If you have friends going on the cruise they can board with you and so is a nice way for them to get on early, as well as for you to get a cruise ship "fix." :)

Here is a link to thread about the experience: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2118883 This link includes a posting with the dates for 2015.

Here is a link to the Princess website's overview of the program: http://www.princess.com/news/press_releases/2010/02/Princess-Revives-Nostalgic-Cruising-Tradition-with-New-Bon-Voyage-Experience.html#.Vd31Hk2FNmM

Were you able to get lunch in the dining room for either embarkation? Looked at some Patters from June for the Star &embarkation lunch in Dining room was not listed. I've never had a problem on any other ship & would not want to start out on the wrong foot on the Star again.

Yes we did. The first cruise they got permission from "higher ups". The second we were In Transit, so no problem. The Star is truly an anomaly. The Star does not list lunch in the MDR, thanks for backing me up on that point. We have never had a problem with any other ship. We are about to embark on cruise #20 with Princess.

Cheers, Denise

Edited by dchip

Moondawgie,

Bon Voyage Experience (BVE) is a program which Princess offers on selected sailings where non-passengers can come aboard early (about 11:00 am) and spend about 4 hours aboard. Cost is $39 and includes lunch in a Main Dining Room (hence the connection to this thread) as well as a glass of wine, a souvenir photo, and a tour of the ship.

If you have friends going on the cruise they can board with you and so is a nice way for them to get on early, as well as for you to get a cruise ship "fix." :)

Here is a link to thread about the experience: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2118883 This link includes a posting with the dates for 2015.

Here is a link to the Princess website's overview of the program: http://www.princess.com/news/press_releases/2010/02/Princess-Revives-Nostalgic-Cruising-Tradition-with-New-Bon-Voyage-Experience.html#.Vd31Hk2FNmM[/

I just love your "HUCA". Just love Princess, don't get the answer YOU know is right, just hang up and call again.......

Yes we did. The first cruise they got permission from "higher ups". The second we were In Transit, so no problem. The Star is truly an anomaly. The Star does not list lunch in the MDR, thanks for backing me up on that point. We have never had a problem with any other ship. We are about to embark on cruise #20 with Princess.

Cheers, Denise

Denise remember after for a few years after 9-11 the Star was the only ship consistently taking and keeping cruise cards as everyone disembarked at the end of the cruise?

They have their own CEO it seems...:rolleyes:

Moondawgie,

Here is a link to the Princess website's overview of the program: http://www.princess.com/news/press_releases/2010/02/Princess-Revives-Nostalgic-Cruising-Tradition-with-New-Bon-Voyage-Experience.html#.Vd31Hk2FNmM

Right!! And don't forget...if you book a cruise withing 90 days after you are on a BVE, the $39 is applied to your cruise fare.:D

I am on the Star 3 times in the next few months. Always have lunch in the MDR when we board.

Where is the information that I can print out about "enjoy lunch in the MDR"? Is it on the Princess website or in one of the emails that are sent out pre-cruise?

I want to go prepared, just in case.:eek:

Thanks

If you see a DR door ajar look for this and knock 3 times....

peeping-tom-eye-hole.jpg

Denise remember after for a few years after 9-11 the Star was the only ship consistently taking and keeping cruise cards as everyone disembarked at the end of the cruise?

They have their own CEO it seems...:rolleyes:

Keith, you truly made me LOL twice this morning! Yes, I remember them taking the cruise card. In fact, I tossed all of mine because I didn't have the one from the Star.

We were also blessed to be on the Star for the Swine Flu cruise!! They never said a thing until we came back to San Francisco. We didn't get off the ship until 1 pm.

I think you are correct, the Star has her own CEO. :D

Cheers, Denise

Hi, I printed the page which says MDR OK for lunch on embark day in case there is an issue about it. I'll show the letter and "won't back down". Love MDR lunch early on, relaxing way to start our cruise.

I realize some people have had problems but I've never had a problem eating embark day lunch in the MDR. Some of the ships even had a sign posted with the name of the dining room open for lunch. But then, I've never sailed on Star Princess.

Edited by MandD

Just off Golden Princess and the main dining room was open for lunch and we ate there! If the experience of being turned away really happened in October 2014, then I think it's safe to say that things have changed.

I am on the Star 3 times in the next few months. Always have lunch in the MDR when we board.

Where is the information that I can print out about "enjoy lunch in the MDR"? Is it on the Princess website or in one of the emails that are sent out pre-cruise?

I want to go prepared, just in case.:eek:

Thanks

I'm with you. I want something printed out that says lunch in the dining room is available. Like I said earlier my worst cruise ever was on the Star in 2002 & one of the incidents involved lunch in the dining room.

I'm with you. I want something printed out that says lunch in the dining room is available. Like I said earlier my worst cruise ever was on the Star in 2002 & one of the incidents involved lunch in the dining room.

The information is on Princess' website under FAQs.

I am taking my 84yr. young dad on the Star in November. I will be upset if they turn us away in the MDR. I wish Princess would comment here on Cruise Critic.

Why don't you ask them on facebook why the Star seems to be their only ship denying passengers lunch in the dining room on embarkation?

You will get an answer much quicker.

Mike:)

I was on the Star in March of 2015. We had lunch in the main dining room on deck 6. It was never listed in the Patter as being open, and I had three different crew members tell us to go to the buffet because the dining room wasn't open.

Anyway, once we got to the dining room, there was no problem going in for lunch.

What dining room will the early MDR location be on the Star ?

If you're asking about the early traditional dinner it's the Amalfi on deck 6 aft which is only accessible by stairs or elevator.

Every Princess ship that I have sailed had the traditional dining room in the same location only with different names.

Edited by Astro Flyer

If you're asking about the early traditional dinner it's the Amalfi on deck 6 aft which is only accessible by stairs or elevator.

Every Princess ship that I have sailed had the traditional dining room in the same location only with different names.

We usually have early traditional dining in the same MDR that serves breakfast and dinner. Also the embarkation day lunch is there.