No More First Lunch Aboard at an MDR?

Smokeyham

We usually have early traditional dining in the same MDR that serves breakfast and dinner. Also the embarkation day lunch is there.

Most of my embarkation day MDR lunches have been at an AT dining room off the piazza. Sometimes the location was in the Patter but other times the location was "secret" and we had to locate which dining room was serving lunch.

What dining room will the early MDR location be on the Star ?

Do you mean lunch on embarkation day? Usually Capri on deck 5, but it could be Portofino on 6. You need to go to the door and check. Early dinner for traditional dining can be either in Portifino or Amalfi, both deck 6. Amalfi is at the stern of the ship and you'll need directions to get there. Start on deck 7 for that.

Well, we respectfully disagree (in a big way) with your opinion. Have been cruising for more then forty years (on more cruises and lines then we care to admit) and our norm is to be on board as early as possible on embarkation day. Once aboard we do lunch, and take advantage of various options depending on the cruise line. Yes, we could go out to lunch in the embarkation city and arrive at the ship after 2. But why? We try to use the embarkation day as a cruise day and work it similar to a sea day. This means being aboard early, enjoying lunch, relaxing on deck (in swim wear if the weather is appropriate) and enjoying the entire afternoon. If embarking out of Florida we will have swim wear in our carry-ons so we can change as soon as we get access to our cabin. If embarking in Europe, Asia, South America, .....then we adjust to the local situation.

And there are other advantages to being among the first to board a ship. For example there is the Chefs Table (first come first serve with reservations) and the Sanctuary (first come first serve). And if one wants to change their dining situation it is usually advantageous to be among the first to speak with the Maitre'd.

And it is not about "shelling out money" for lunch :). It is about trying to maximize our time on a cruise :). In fact, we will often be among the last to leave a cruise (on disembarkation day) preferring to enjoy our breakfast and relax on deck while other passengers are standing in long lines trying to crowd off the vessel. Usually by 9:30 or 10 the crowds are gone and we simply walk off the ship, pick up our luggage, and grab a taxi to the airport or wherever we are going. No stress, no lines, no hassles.

Hank

Thank you, Hank! Well said!

We were on Diamond Princess in July and there were only maybe four tables occupied at lunch on embarkation. Our table of 8 enjoyed a quiet lunch and a good chat with the wait staff. That's the way how a cruise should start--relaxed and enjoyable.

I was on the Star in March of 2015. We had lunch in the main dining room on deck 6. It was never listed in the Patter as being open, and I had three different crew members tell us to go to the buffet because the dining room wasn't open.

Anyway, once we got to the dining room, there was no problem going in for lunch.

There are 2 dining rooms on deck 6. Portofino, just off the piazza and Amalfi which has only access from the aft elevator or aft stairs. Do you remember which one was the one that was open for lunch.

Thanks

Theo

There are 2 dining rooms on deck 6. Portofino, just off the piazza and Amalfi which has only access from the aft elevator or aft stairs. Do you remember which one was the one that was open for lunch.

Thanks

Theo

It will be the one located just off the piazza.

Thanks

Theo

On our cruise it Portofino. I remember because my aunt was downstairs at the IC and I had to call out to her over the railing to come upstairs.

It will be the one located just off the piazza.

On our cruise it Portofino. I remember because my aunt was downstairs at the IC and I had to call out to her over the railing to come upstairs.

Thanks you two.

Theo

Well...my next cruise is on the Star, so this one has me a bit concerned...I just hate hassles...

My last Princess cruise was on the Crown this past January...and this was not an issue on that one--because they didn't let anyone board until dinner time...and most of the passengers weren't even able to get on the ship at all until AFTER dinner!

The Princess cruise before that one was last December on Golden...and I remember that experience well. It didn't say that the MDR was open for lunch on ANY of the Patter or other printed matter...and there was NO announcement of any kind. I asked about 4 or 5 different cruise members...and the first several ALL told me that the buffet was the only food service open. Finally, I found someone who was able to confirm that one of the dining rooms was open. When we got there, we were seated right away as there was, IIRC, only one other table filled...As we ate lunch, a few other tables filled up...but it was REAL quiet...I don't think there were ever more than about 10 or 12 tables occupied...Amazing how that works when you keep it secret and provide misinformation...

No, I certainly don't want the room to suddenly be overburdened by a large horde of passengers. OTOH, I don't want Princess doing away with this feature using the logic of "Gee, it doesn't pay to keep it open--nobody uses it anyway"...

If they ever decide to close it completely, all of the print-outs in the world won't help you...If they won't serve you there, not much you can do...

Just found out my embarkation time in Sydney is 13.00-15.00 hours, so no Dining Room lunch for me! The Golden does have Prego Pizza, so a couple of slices of pizza will be lunch!

Princess also advised approximate travel times and taxi costs for Melbourne, which is a great help with my budgeting!

Just found out my embarkation time in Sydney is 13.00-15.00 hours, so no Dining Room lunch for me! The Golden does have Prego Pizza, so a couple of slices of pizza will be lunch!

Princess also advised approximate travel times and taxi costs for Melbourne, which is a great help with my budgeting!

You can board anytime you want; you're in a suite and suites have priority boarding. Boarding always begins before 1pm, despite what Princess documentation says. Barring unforeseen circs, they generally begin around 11.30am.

You can board anytime you want; you're in a suite and suites have priority boarding. Boarding always begins before 1pm, despite what Princess documentation says. Barring unforeseen circs, they generally begin around 11.30am.

I agree, board at noon and enjoy lunch in the DR. :)

Thanks Gentlemen. I'm staying with my cousins and 1 usually has Dawn Service commitments-actually sailing on Remembrance Day here, so not yet sure what time we'll be leaving their property to travel down to Sydney. Their offer of a couple of nights accommodation to see their new home has saved me over AUD$400, and I AM making sure to take Pre-Paid Petrol Cards for each of them, they work in different jobs so both must drive to work separately with no chance of carpooling. I don't yet know if it would be possible to go with her and sit in the car working on my crocheting to save having to come back and collect me. I've never been to the new place so totally muddled re geography.

Advised my friend S., who is sailing in an Inside Stateroom on Plaza Deck that my suggested Embarkation time is 13.00-15.00 hours, he's got the same. He plans to arrive early, find himself a seat and wait, knowing he can't join me for embarkation as we're not sharing the Suite. I'll share the hot tub no problems, but not the Suite overnight-our friendship is simply former work colleagues and nothing more serious. Also suggested he buy some On Board Credit, enough to cover the Soda and More Package and his planned Alcohol consumption, and once on board, go to a Bar and buy the package as I'd noticed the price on the website was substantially more than my research had shown. As near as I can judge, his Inside Stateroom's partially under the corridor and Passenger Services on Fiesta Deck, he's on Plaza-quite near Vines, so I've been teasing him about having the choice between Vines and the Lobby Bar and food from the International Café! He retorted that as a Suite Passenger I would get Priority Boarding and as a registered Handicapped Passenger might even be called before the Suite and Elite Passengers-I don't think so.

The Sydney Port Authority website I managed to find, has the Golden Princess sailing at 18.30 hours. It was a right challenge to find too, so please don't ask for the website address-it was many attempts before I finally asked for the right thing and got it. No berth number yet, but am getting more information.

Princess has provided taxi costings for Melbourne which are now recorded on my Cruise Expenses Spreadsheet. I already know from years of experience, what the local taxi fares to the airport here are, and coming in or going out to the Capital City airport, it was the Interstate airport that had me puzzled. Planning on AUD$300 for all taxi fares, and deliberately overestimating-easier to find a use for leftover cash, than be scrambling to cover an unexpected expense. Have noted to watch the Patter for a sale in 1 of the dining rooms the last Sea Day of the cruise, and hoping to pick up some extra souvenirs.

S. laughed that if Cocktails overwhelm me, as a qualified First Aid Person, he can easily put me to bed! The cheeky devil, THAT'S pushing the boundaries of friendship a bit much! I've been careful to plan 1 single Cocktail to 2 different Mocktails and at least 2 Sodas, so shouldn't be affected too much by the alcohol, and something to eat on a cruise ship usually ISN'T a problem.

• 1 month later...

Thank you VERY much for the link! I took a screen capture on my iPad so I will have it handy when we board.

Neither my husband nor I are fans of buffets in general. Then the added crush of people on embarkation day...no thank you! MDR Embarkation Lunch is one of the reasons we are so fond of NCL. So glad to hear Princess has it too, even if they try to reroute you to the buffet.

In case you are turned away at the main dining room, you might want to print a copy of the screenshot from Princess' website to show them. They make quite a point of saying that the MDR is available!

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/dining_nightlife.jsp

In case the URL changes, this is in the FAQs under dining and nightlife, and then under "1st day dining." They say

"Shortly after we welcome you onboard your spectacular Princess ship, you're invited to relax and dine at the Horizon Court or in one of the ship’s multiple dining rooms.

Open from 5 am to 11 pm (12 am on select itineraries), the Horizon Court offers a wide selection of buffet meals or snacks. A primary feature of Princess ships, the top-of-the-ship restaurant features floor-to-ceiling windows with stunning sea views as a backdrop.

Or join us in one of our main dining rooms for lunch served up by a staff -- from chefs to waiters -- dedicated to making your dining experience something special.

Together, Princess' unique combination of gracious dining staff, fine continental cuisine and new friends make every meal onboard a memorable occasion."

The embarcation lunch in the MDR was very limited on a short cruise. We were on a 4 day Cal. Coastal 9/29/15 on the Ruby out of LA. We did a Bon Voyage for the person that gave us a ride to the port & back. We were embarassed @ the few items that were offered. No salad of any kind, one appitizer, one dessert, 2 main courses. No salmon:eek: They had some kind of flat fish that our friend & my DH barely ate. It was not very good. I had the beef. It was OK. That was it for the entire lunch menu. We had no idea it would be so skimpy. Not the size of the meal, but the choices. None of us got the dessert or the appitizer, as we did not like the choice.

I know we could have gone to the buffet, but the MDR is so much more calmer. We normally don't go to the buffet, but in this case, it might have been a better choice for us.

We learned the hard way, as the next cruise which was on 10/3/15 was way better for the embarcation lunch in the MDR. It was all the regular items we were used to.

We have always enjoyed the MDR for embarkation lunch, ever since our first cruise! We have used the MDR on the first day on other cruise lines as well (RCCL, HAL, Disney). On Celebrity we like to go to Bistro on 5, which is most definitely open, but seems to scare people away with the $5 pp cover charge. Well worth it to avoid the hordes at the buffet!

On Princess, we have sailed the Grand, Golden, Caribbean, Coral, Crown and Pacific. All of these ships allowed us to eat lunch in the MDR when we boarded. Only on the Star (sailing out of SFO) last December was the MDR actually closed, and we ate at the International Cafe instead.

The embarcation lunch in the MDR was very limited on a short cruise. We were on a 4 day Cal. Coastal 9/29/15 on the Ruby out of LA...No salad of any kind, one appitizer, one dessert, 2 main courses. No salmon :eek: ...It was not very good. I had the beef. It was OK. That was it for the entire lunch menu. We had no idea it would be so skimpy. Not the size of the meal, but the choices. None of us got the dessert or the appitizer, as we did not like the choice...

I experienced the same thing on the 9/17 Ruby coastal. It was my first embarkation day MDR lunch, and quite disappointing. Another poster suggested ordering off the menu next time, but when I mentioned to the waiter that nothing on the limited menu really appealed to me, he didn't offer other options, so not sure if this can be done at embarkation.

I left my MDR lunch half-eaten (I had the beef also--it was mediocre at best) and ate again in the HC once the crowds died down.

I'm not sure why Princess is giving scaled-back offerings on shorter cruises, when the pppd rates are often as high as on longer itineraries :confused:.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78
spelling

If you are sailing on the Regal, Royal, Grand, and Sapphire Princess and prefer a quiet and relax place to have the first day lunch, Alfredo's (no charge) is really a nice option.

Thanks for that info. It's been two years since we cruised The Grand but we were on a "low carb" diet at the time and had to forgo the pizzas. :( I'm at a point of "damn the diet" and looking forward to our Grand Princess cruise in November. Good to know they will be open on embarkation day. Now sshhh. We don't want it to get too crowded and not be able to get a seat. ;)