Seabourn vs. Oceania

allyg

Penthouse suite beds are queen sized.

However, as has been mentioned before the price differentiator is because you are comparing premium to luxury lines.

Oceania is a very different experience imho to Seabourn, but if it is suite size you are looking for then you may fare better sticking to Oceania.

I have stayed in the grand duplex on cunard ships and the Penthouse on Hal, both are far in excess of the size of the suites on Seabourn, but i would take a penthouse suite on SB over a grand duplex on cunard anyday, because it is Seabourn.

Sorry, but you are comparing two totally different experiences.

Oh and to add, i would take a OW suite over wintergarden anyday also.

Apart from its central location on 7 it is in my opinion far from the best accomodation on board due to poor use of balcony space and lack of privacy, small bed etc.

Lounge area is nice and walk in closet good, but thats it imho.

Oh and to add, i would take a OW suite over wintergarden anyday also.

Apart from its central location on 7 it is in my opinion far from the best accomodation on board due to poor use of balcony space and lack of privacy, small bed etc.

Lounge area is nice and walk in closet good, but thats it imho.

This a s good point.

I don't take the OW at the bow due to motion sensitivity, but I very much like the one that's more forward from WG on deck 7. I find it usually sells before the WG though.

Plus no deck noise, unlike in WG. Although some say they never notice noise I do hear chairs scraping and during Rock The Boat it is very noisy indeed.

Edited by Isklaar
bad grammar and spelling!

Thank you both (TillylovesSeabourn and Isklaar) for your input.

Firstly, I went onto SB's website, because I hadn't realised there was an owners suite mid-ship and I see that there is - no. 731. This is on the 'wrong' side for the cruise we are looking at, and I am wondering whether there is another one opposite it. All that shows on the website is a white box with nothing in it?

Secondly, I am intrigued by your comment (Tilly) - 'the price differentiator is because you are comparing premium to luxury lines'. This is something I struggle with, because I don't understand what I will get from SB that I do not get with O. I guess I will find out and maybe if I do, I will be converted but I wish someone, somewhere would define the difference for me. As a relative newcomer to cruising, I have read many explanations which seem to boil down to what is or is not included in the price, combined with superior service - but it must be much more than that because, price-wise, it's easy enough to compare apples to apples and come up with a number, and it's hard for me to imagine better service than I get with Oceania (which is certainly head and shoulders above what we experienced with Regent, the only other line we have cruised with so far)

I will try other lines, because Oceania does not sail to some of the places I want to go and/or doesn't have the itinerary, but I would dearly like to know what it is that makes SB worth the extra cost.

Daisy,

According to berlitz and the cruising industry Oceania is classed as premium and Seabourn as luxury.

I think the difference is in a thousand little things, like being referred to by your name very quickly, or sitting down to lunch and not having to place a drink order because they have already got your drinks sorted out. Or arriving in your suite to see your favourite caviar dish waiting for you. All of these things done without asking. And i could go on.

Whilst there is absolutely nothing wrong with Oceania, in my opinion, and i do stress my personal opinion, the food quality on the MDR on oceania is not of a particularly high quality. I feel that in order to get something like a seabourn experience one has to go with a minimum penthouse room or above, take the full drinks package and dine in a speciality restaurant every night. However, for me it is both the seabourn staff and passengers that stand out from those on other lines. Yes, there are bound to be those who you dont care for, but for us the majority are a great bunch of like minded inviduals, who we have generally not found on other lines.

Daisy,

I really hope you do enjoy yourself!

Every cruise is very different down to the demograph and location etc, but make sure that if you do encounter something not to your liking that you let staff know as they can only help you to the best of their ability if they know your preferences. I am not naive enough to suggest Seabourn is ever without fault, but what i have always experienced is a desire to make things right, and a genuine aim to please which without doubt is very important to me. And it is that care which i find the ultimate luxury.

I think it's between the PH Spa and the WG. I would have been interested in the Owners on deck 7 but it's the wrong side (unless I switch the cruise itself!) I'm wary of being 'up front' because of the wind and motion so that pretty much rules out any of the other premium suites. At the moment, I'm leaning toward the PH Spa because it is considerably less expensive and I am worried I may be disappointed in the WG after the OS on Oceania which would be pretty catastrophic, given the price point.

You will get more motion in the penthouse spa, i felt quite a bit of vibration. wintergarden is midships, so no problems there. Penthouse spa has a much better more useable balcony than wintergarden. And although not a massive room it is very nice and only completed very recently.

All i can say is i was very uninspired by the wintergarden suite, but always enjoy a penthouse/penthouse spa or OW.

Is your planned cruise for a hot or cold climate, as that may narrow things down as to what space inside or out you would require? Durations also helps?

We are looking at Alaska, 14 days. We're OK with vibration (Oceania OS are aft). If we are lucky enough to have some good weather, I would like to have the option of using the balcony which I think would be limited at the front of the ship. Sounds like the penthouse spa is favourite, unless we change the direction of travel in which case the owners might be good. The fact that the spa suites are relatively new is a bit of a draw also - also we are looking at 2017 so they won't be so new by then!

We are looking at Alaska, 14 days. We're OK with vibration (Oceania OS are aft). If we are lucky enough to have some good weather, I would like to have the option of using the balcony which I think would be limited at the front of the ship. Sounds like the penthouse spa is favourite, unless we change the direction of travel in which case the owners might be good. The fact that the spa suites are relatively new is a bit of a draw also - also we are looking at 2017 so they won't be so new by then!

Sounds like the phspa is a good plan then, and have fun.

I have some further help for you if you email me at charles.garfit@btinternet.com

As beautiful as the Owners suites on Oceania are I find them to be style over substance. Who needs a baby grand piano unless you're sailing with Liberace? The decor is very nice and Seabourn is definitely more minimalist but the PHs are Spa PHs are more than adequate imo. And the minute you step out of the suite you're on a luxury ship.

As they say in French, to each its own. If my DH ever learns that there's a baby grand piano in a suite in Oceania...farewell Seabourn and Silversea. Since I don't plan on carting candelabra, I'll keep this a secret.

Whilst I have seen the more salubrious suites on SB we have only stayed in humble accommodation where like for like comparison with other lines based on available space ensures SB is fairly priced. Add up all the extras and I'm not convinced we would save money elsewhere. Talk of half the price surprises me. A standard SB cabin is a very different beast indeed to a standard cabin elsewhere.

As to what makes the Seabourn difference. That's slightly harder and will vary from person to person. For me it's not having to hustle whilst on board. I can pull strings even on a mainstream line like Royal Caribbean. Work the loyalty programme, book a cruise where we know the CD, get a deal on a suite, avoid pinch points, go forward when everyone is heading aft and so on. But it's hard work.

On Seabourn everyone gets the magic treatment regardless of loyalty, stateroom or willingness to grease palms. You don't have to play the system because there is always room by the pool, space in a tender or a table to grab dinner. Any effort you do put in acknowledging good service or doing your homework on here is rewarded but you aren't fighting to survive like you are on a larger ship.

There is a danger that by paying a premium for your cabin you arrive with higher expectations, I know we've suffered on mainstream lines where the rest of the ship is geared around a lower yielding cargo. On SB the entry bar is set high enough that the whole ship runs smoothly with no areas out of bounds to the lower ranks. We board with sensible expectations which are generally exceeded rather than met. There are some lovely touches, "Seabourn moments" during each voyage.

Seabourn are a benchmark in cruising who's modern fleet will appeal universally. For that reason I would suggest trying them once. We did and came back. Twice. With a third in a few weeks !

Henry :)

The trouble with most lines as Henry says is the fact that they have a sort of class/loyalty system which does not work for me.sure I have had top suites on most lines but when you come out of your suite or your Queens grill dining room you are with the masses that have paid flumpence for an inside/below the plimsoll line cabin.

That is why Seabourn works for everyone on board,the feeling and atmosphere on their ships is streets ahead of the rest.

Ymmv[emoji57]