Seabourn vs. Oceania

allyg

I paid € 2.499 for my seven night cruise with the Sojourn. If it ist the same I would book seabourn!

What kind of cabin were you in on the Marina. Anything less than a Penthouse and it's way too small imo. You need to be in a penthouse on Oceania in order to compare apples with apples to Seabourn's regular suites even though the PH on Marina is larger.

What kind of cabin were you in on the Marina. Anything less than a Penthouse and it's way too small imo. You need to be in a penthouse on Oceania in order to compare apples with apples to Seabourn's regular suites even though the PH on Marina is larger.

We were in Penthouse Suite on the Riviera - really nice cabin!

And still far cheaper than Seabourne (without the smoking and with better food).

But it's still not classed as a Luxury line it's still Premium and the price can be far more if you include all extras and pay extra for a proper sized suite.

I have looked at the top suites many times and always bailed out when talking to people that really know the Marina and Riviera.

And as to whether or not the food is better on oceania is very subjective.

I personally think that all of the food on board apart from some selective courses in the speciality restaurants, was to my taste inferior to that which is all inclusive on Seabourn

It is a matter of taste.

We have a number of days on Oceania and are very much looking forward to making our own comparisons on our first Seabourn cruise in February. The smaller ship sounds appealing, although we have sailed on the smaller Oceania ships as well as their 'O' class. I think there is going to be a lot to like on Seabourn and am appreciative of all I have read on the board. It's great to have choices!

We have a number of days on Oceania and are very much looking forward to making our own comparisons on our first Seabourn cruise in February. The smaller ship sounds appealing, although we have sailed on the smaller Oceania ships as well as their 'O' class. I think there is going to be a lot to like on Seabourn and am appreciative of all I have read on the board. It's great to have choices!

We too have many cruises on Oceania (10) and we love it, especially the smaller ships which many here reject out of hand. We are itinerary driven and have booked a great itinerary on the Encore for 2017 and fully expect to enjoy it. We are not slaves to a single cruise line. We like to mix it up. For us, the itinerary is primary

And still far cheaper than Seabourne (without the smoking and with better food).

If your definition of better food is cold food swimming in pools of grease, prime rib thats freezer burned or chicken that's been cooked multiple times or perhaps food so tamed down that it makes Panda Express seem authentic, then I suppose Oceania had the better food. YMMV - but you'd have to pay me to travel with Oceania again. The exception would be the Wine Spectator restaurant - that turned out food of what I'd expected in the other dining rooms. But that only had three menus and they were all upcharges.

Edited by Emperor Norton

If your definition of better food is cold food swimming in pools of grease, prime rib thats freezer burned or chicken that's been cooked multiple times or perhaps food so tamed down that it makes Panda Express seem authentic, then I suppose Oceania had the better food. YMMV - but you'd have to pay me to travel with Oceania again. The exception would be the Wine Spectator restaurant - that turned out food of what I'd expected in the other dining rooms. But that only had three menus and they were all upcharges.

I must have missed this menu:rolleyes:

These over the top statements are readily dismissed as are the other extremes saying the food is the best in the world!

I would like to be paid to go on Oceania cruises:D

I just booked the 11 August 2016 Azamara Quest itinerary, 15 days round trip to the North Cape from Amsterdam including an overnight in Bergen. Managed to pick up a Club World Owner's Suite :)

Perhaps you should post this on the Azamara board then.

Absolutely untrue. If you book a penthouse On Oceania, add on the tips and alcohol, you will be paying very close to, and in some cases more than on Seabourn on a per diem basis. If you book one of the smaller, very cramped cabins (yes, they are cramped even on Marina and Riviera) you will indeed pay less. And get less.

And I also diapgree about the food. I like Oceania's food but mainly in the specialty restaurants. I think the main dining room looks like a catering hall and the food nowhere near as good as the specialty restaurants. But that is subjective and others may disagree.

I must have missed this menu:rolleyes:

These over the top statements are readily dismissed as are the other extremes saying the food is the best in the world!

I would like to be paid to go on Oceania cruises:D

Over the top doesn't mean it didn't happen. Good luck on getting paid to sail with O;)

You have caught my attention: You can get PAID to go on Oceania?

And would that cover or not cover the upsells- the various bevvie packages and the tip surcharges and the special restaurants (how bad is the main restaurant and the lido buffet?). And how small are the cabins and do I have to have an inside and are they smaller than P&O cabins?

I get confused by these Seabourn wannabee lines that try to pretend they offer value for money by charging less per day and then adding charges and throwing on top a few hundred additional passengers. And then there is the time you waste with your key card trying to prove you are more VIP than the next punter. Idea: maybe a distinctive royal purple velour neck lanyard for your key card would work better for us VIPs?

When I can go on Seabourn and know exactly what I am getting. At least Azamazamazing has a catchy name. But hey if Oceania want to get popular they can pay me to go. No strings attached!

Happy sailing!

• 2 weeks later...

I have just read through this thread as I am on the verge of booking our first SB cruise, having previously cruised only Regent and Oceania - and I am a little perplexed by some of the negative comments relating to Oceania. We have cruised 3 times with Oceania, with another cruise booked in 2016, all on Riviera or Marina. We have had a PH, an Oceania Suite and and an Owners Suite with the Owners Suite booked again for 2016. I am now looking at a SB cruise, simply because the itinerary looks fantastic and neither Marina or Riviera go to Alaska, which is where I am planning our next cruise. I simply cannot understand the comments being made about pricing. Although we are pretty much committed to SB for Alaska, I was somewhat taken aback by the pricing as it compares with Oceania. It is much more expensive. For the same price as an OS on Oceania, I am looking at a PH Spa suite on SB - and if I want to book the WG suite on SB (which is smaller than the OS on Oceania) the pricing is getting way up there. I love the food on Oceania, although admittedly I have not eaten in the GDR many times in the evening - but we enjoy it at breakfast and lunch. The specialties are outstanding in my opinion - and I consider myself to be a foodie... just my opinion, but felt the need for a little defence of Oceania!

I have just read through this thread as I am on the verge of booking our first SB cruise, having previously cruised only Regent and Oceania - and I am a little perplexed by some of the negative comments relating to Oceania. We have cruised 3 times with Oceania, with another cruise booked in 2016, all on Riviera or Marina. We have had a PH, an Oceania Suite and and an Owners Suite with the Owners Suite booked again for 2016. I am now looking at a SB cruise, simply because the itinerary looks fantastic and neither Marina or Riviera go to Alaska, which is where I am planning our next cruise. I simply cannot understand the comments being made about pricing. Although we are pretty much committed to SB for Alaska, I was somewhat taken aback by the pricing as it compares with Oceania. It is much more expensive. For the same price as an OS on Oceania, I am looking at a PH Spa suite on SB - and if I want to book the WG suite on SB (which is smaller than the OS on Oceania) the pricing is getting way up there. I love the food on Oceania, although admittedly I have not eaten in the GDR many times in the evening - but we enjoy it at breakfast and lunch. The specialties are outstanding in my opinion - and I consider myself to be a foodie... just my opinion, but felt the need for a little defence of Oceania!

I think there was plenty of criticism of SB on this thread too!

I'm a big fan of SB. I haven't cruised Oceania but just took a quick search and found the Marina OS (9147) in a video. I don't know if the different O ships have different styel OS suites etc. My thoughts on the one that I have seen :

It has more of a luxurious look than the WG suite. SB decor is rather minimalist whereas what I see on the Marina looks more like a very nice traditional ship decor.

I can't figure out the balcony from the video, it appears to be smaller than the WG.

The bedroom area appears to be larger than the WG. What size is the bed?

The bathroom overall is smaller. The shower in particular is smaller in the O suite. The large shower in the WG is a winner for me, however the toilet is not in it's own separate space, and there is no bidet.

I don't care for the piano, but otherwise I think O has more soft furnishing and appears more luxurious than the WG. If that's the decor style that you like, well you may be disappointed with WG finding the style quite plain and minimalist, especially for the cost.

So, rather than splash out for the WG, I think you'll prefer the PH Spa.

Thank you for the information on the WG suite. So far as the OS on Oceania is concerned, it is both 'beautiful' and 'somewhat over the top'! I think the bedroom and bathroom are fabulous. The shower isn't huge, but it is generous (my husband is 6'3 and had no issue with it). The bath is perfect (I'm a bath, not a shower person). There is a sliding window onto the balcony. The bedroom is large, with a King size bed. The piano foyer was pretty much a waste of time (for us) and a little over the top, although the bar was used from time to time. The living room is large and comfortable. The balcony spans the entire back of the ship so is very, very wide, but lacking a little in depth. The views were fantastic though and, of course, it is always possible to find either shade or sun.

The PH Spa on SB looks OK, but is only around 500 sq ft (compared with 2,000 sq ft for the OS on Oceania), hence my surprise at the comments about pricing between the 2 lines.

I do think it will be interesting to try a smaller ship. I don't really see that (for us) the size will be a plus (fewer dining choices) but, who knows, maybe we'll be converted.

Thank you for the information on the WG suite. So far as the OS on Oceania is concerned, it is both 'beautiful' and 'somewhat over the top'! I think the bedroom and bathroom are fabulous. The shower isn't huge, but it is generous (my husband is 6'3 and had no issue with it). The bath is perfect (I'm a bath, not a shower person). There is a sliding window onto the balcony. The bedroom is large, with a King size bed. The piano foyer was pretty much a waste of time (for us) and a little over the top, although the bar was used from time to time. The living room is large and comfortable. The balcony spans the entire back of the ship so is very, very wide, but lacking a little in depth. The views were fantastic though and, of course, it is always possible to find either shade or sun.

The PH Spa on SB looks OK, but is only around 500 sq ft (compared with 2,000 sq ft for the OS on Oceania), hence my surprise at the comments about pricing between the 2 lines.

I do think it will be interesting to try a smaller ship. I don't really see that (for us) the size will be a plus (fewer dining choices) but, who knows, maybe we'll be converted.

Yes, I thought the piano foyer was something of a wasted space and a little over the top. Otherwise the suite looks very pleasant.

The bed in the WG is disappointing, it's a bit larger than a UK double, but not as big as a king so it may be what's known as a queen size in the US market, I'm not sure. But I do feel its small size, especially when split into twins, lets the suite down somewhat.

This has been interesting to read regarding pricing. I don't have the means to choose the WG for every cruise, in fact most of the time I take a V5 on Seabourn. It seems the price difference is greater when comparing the premium suites on O and SB.

I was pricing a couple of Med cruises earlier this year and SB worked out a little lower than O for a V5 on a very similar itinerary. I did have to add the drinks package for O to get a fair comparison but recent marketing from O suggests they now have changed the drinks packages.

Edited by Isklaar

The (less expensive) drinks package is being included for some cruises sold from the UK - and maybe the rest of Europe - but not the USA, where they are giving some free excursions (not sure how many, I think it is dependent on the length of the cruise) along with free gratuities and free wifi.

Is the bed in the PH the smaller size also?

I appreciate the candid appraisal of the WG - it would be a major financial commitment and I would hate to make that commitment and then be less-than-deliriously happy about the suite!