Seabourn vs. Oceania

allyg

We are on the quest now and I was hoping to say WOW- this is great but I am saying WOW- disappointing!

Having done 8 Oceania cruises and over 100 other cruises- the food on the quest is a let down.

Embarkation in the terminal- nothing! No water/ coffee / cookies

Dinner the first night- no flowers in the table-

Within minutes of getting the menus we are asked to order.

Haven't had a chance to greet our table mates.

Good lukewarm and bland.

Second dinner- rushed again to get out order.

We asked that the food be hot.

The consommé again lukewarm!

It was sent back.

It then took 1.5 hours to get our main course. It was hot at least.

Unacceptable!

Our table mates who had cruised once with seabourn said that this trip was a big let down from the previous.

We are meeting with the hotel director today- hope things improve!

Don't think we will sail on seabourn again.

Oceania is much better in our opinion

Hi Fleuve51. Thanks for this bit of info. I've sailed with Oceania 6 times and have thoroughly enjoyed every cruise. It is always consistent. The Oceania MDR is ALWAYS open for breakfast and lunch if you want to pass on the buffet. I recently booked my first Seabourn cruise for May, 2017 and I've been following this thread and the Seabourn board recently. I'm not thrilled to hear that there is no guarantee that the MDR will even be open for breakfast or lunch. And now reading your post has me more concerned. I am a foodie. I definitely want a great culinary experience. Please keep us posted on how things progress.

Thanks,

Joe

Yes, do keep posting- and anyone else on this cruise; it does not sound very 'Seabourn', so hope things are improving for you. On our last Quest cruise early in the year the first night in the dining room was a bit disorganised, but after that everything from the food to the service was excellent, and the Chef, Martin, was particularly good, and cared about what everyone thought about the food. Who is the current Chef on board, if you know?

Two different ships, lukewarm food. What's going on?

There was lukewarm food for us last week in The Colonnade.

Lukewarm food for fleuve51 this week in the MDR.

I noticed they'd changed to a different type of chafing dish in The Colonnade and the new ones don't appear to be working very well.

No excuse for lukewarm food in the MDR - an issue there between the timing of the galley and the runners. Also the delay to the main course after sending back tells me there are communication issues.

I'd also like to know who the Chef is on your cruise?

There's no reason to allow them to rush you in the MDR. If you're not ready to order, let them know.

Some cruisers seem to want to be in and out of the MDR in about 30 minutes, kind of a "place your head in the trough and don't lift it again until you've finished eating all 3 or 4 courses" scenario. That doesn't suit us at all so we let them know we'd like to dine at a more leisurely pace and they accommodate us.

There's no reason to allow them to rush you in the MDR. If you're not ready to order, let them know.

Some cruisers seem to want to be in and out of the MDR in about 30 minutes, kind of a "place your head in the trough and don't lift it again until you've finished eating all 3 or 4 courses" scenario. That doesn't suit us at all so we let them know we'd like to dine at a more leisurely pace and they accommodate us.

Yes, if you're still on Fleuve51 tell the staff to slow down on the order taking.

I did the same cruise Montreal Boston a couple of weeks ago and got a totally different experience. The food was exceptional, variety and quality, much better than my last Odyssey cruise and I thought it was good then.

Only one bad experience, one of the drink waiters in the MDR one night was rude and sloppy pouring wine to one of the other people at our table. It was the only time in 10 days that I saw any crew get ruffled. Otherwise the crew were fabulous.

I am still on board- only day 3.

The chef is John Pugh. A few of us shopped with him at a local market in Quebec City.

He told us that he was self taught, and learned a lot from his grandmother.

The food service was much better tonight and the main course was hot.

We were asked many times if everything was ok.

The MDR was also less busy/ crowded.

I am still on board- only day 3.

The chef is John Pugh. A few of us shopped with him at a local market in Quebec City.

He told us that he was self taught, and learned a lot from his grandmother.

The food service was much better tonight and the main course was hot.

We were asked many times if everything was ok.

The MDR was also less busy/ crowded.

Ah, John. It's nice to hear he's still with Seabourn as at the end of the Legend he wasn't sure what was going to happen. When I've sailed with him he's done an excellent job with special orders.

• 4 weeks later...

I was on the Riviera in august 2015 (1st time on oceania) and on the Sojourn in october 2015 (5th time on seabourn). Food was 1 star better on seabourn (better tasting, more variety on the salad bar items, always fresh fruits etc), Service was more personel on seabourn, Cabin was better on Riviera (Penthouse Suite).

Hi Fleuve51. Thanks for this bit of info. I've sailed with Oceania 6 times and have thoroughly enjoyed every cruise. It is always consistent. The Oceania MDR is ALWAYS open for breakfast and lunch if you want to pass on the buffet. I recently booked my first Seabourn cruise for May, 2017 and I've been following this thread and the Seabourn board recently. I'm not thrilled to hear that there is no guarantee that the MDR will even be open for breakfast or lunch. And now reading your post has me more concerned. I am a foodie. I definitely want a great culinary experience. Please keep us posted on how things progress.

Thanks,

Joe

Love Seabourn. Going on first Oceania Marina cruise over Christmas this year. Biggest issue we have with Seabourn was on a 21 day cruise last summer MDR was only open for lunch 2 days. Once was a buffet galley tour, so really only 1 day for service off a menu. Their Columnade is a buffet which is open for lunch but very, very crowded. There are a very few room service items that can be ordered off the menu, but not being buffet people this was not to our liking. However, it was the only bad issue we had with the cruise. Otherwise we were very happy with the accommodations, service, etc. here's to hoping we will enjoy Oceania Marina!

Love Seabourn. Going on first Oceania Marina cruise over Christmas this year. Biggest issue we have with Seabourn was on a 21 day cruise last summer MDR was only open for lunch 2 days. Once was a buffet galley tour, so really only 1 day for service off a menu. Their Columnade is a buffet which is open for lunch but very, very crowded. There are a very few room service items that can be ordered off the menu, but not being buffet people this was not to our liking. However, it was the only bad issue we had with the cruise. Otherwise we were very happy with the accommodations, service, etc. here's to hoping we will enjoy Oceania Marina!

You will love Marina! I've booked her for both 2016 and 2017. I've cancelled my Seabourn cruise. Too many unknowns for me on Seabourn and the smoking policy is atrocious! Smoking on one side of the Observation Lounge after 8 pm....really!? Smoke travels, everyone knows that! Anyway, report back on Marina if you can. Enjoy!

Love Seabourn.

However, it was the only bad issue we had with the cruise. Otherwise we were very happy with the accommodations, service, etc. here's to hoping we will enjoy Oceania Marina!

Very surprised to read this, as you posted a rather critical initial review one week into your cruise.

As I recall, you didn't return to the thread although it did cause some heated discussion and anxiety amongst those of us who were going to be on Seabourn shortly after you. It would have been nice to read a positive update.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2242106

i am just back from one week on the Sojourn - i cannot say it was bad but it was not a wow neither

yes i heavily took nuisance :( on the daily closing of the MDR both for breakfast as for lunch as that policy is not mentionned , not in the brochure, not in the pre cruise info and or on the final cruise documents. So unilateral decision...by head office by hotel manager ???

I was not so pleased by the quality of the "compulsory" buffets for breakfast and lunch however the quality of the food served in the Colonnade for dinner was very good.

I hope you booked at least a penthouse on Marina or you will be very disappointed with the size of the cabins.

I hope you booked at least a penthouse on Marina or you will be very disappointed with the size of the cabins.

Henry don't forget the 18% service charge for every drink that you have to sign for[emoji3]

Edited by Mr Luxury

To JVNYC: "I know you are but what am I?"

So much for Oceania, its little cabins, surcharge and class system, extra several hundred guests and that 18% drinks surcharge which won't add up to anything at all if you don't drink at all. Ha!

In time I hope that Seabourn stops this late evening smoking allowance on one side of the Observation Bar. It is stupid because it is harmful to the vast majority of those who value their health. So after 20:00 I will continue repairing to the Club. And have a no surcharge and guilt-free drink or two.

Happy sailing!

Henry don't forget the 18% service charge for every drink that you have to sign for[emoji3]

Unless you sign up for their beverage package at $130 a day for two. Over the course of a two week cruise that adds over $1800 to your costs.

Unless you sign up for their beverage package at $130 a day for two. Over the course of a two week cruise that adds over $1800 to your costs.

You should book a cruise where the package is included in the cruise fare. We paid about € 1.739,-- for one week per person and the tipps as well as the house beverage package was included! So we had a zero balace at check out.

Stefan Cruise, are you talking about Oceania or another cruise line? If it was Oceania, how did you find this all-inclusive offer? On their website, through another, perhaps discount, cruise website, or through your travel agent? I am curious. Thanks.

Hi! Directly in the oceania website about five months ago. It was a PH2 on the riviera for the cruise from the 12th to 19th of august leaving from Monte Carlo.

Edited by Stefan_Cruise

You should book a cruise where the package is included in the cruise fare. We paid about € 1.739,-- for one week per person and the tipps as well as the house beverage package was included! So we had a zero balace at check out.

The house beverage package is worthless as far as I'm concerned. It's very limited and doesn't include top shelf liquor or decent wines. You have to get the Prestige package to make it even close to what you get on Seabourn and that costs $65 pp per day.

The house beverage package is worthless as far as I'm concerned. It's very limited and doesn't include top shelf liquor or decent wines. You have to get the Prestige package to make it even close to what you get on Seabourn and that costs $65 pp per day.

sorry, it was my fault. It was the prestige beverage package. We could order liquor on the bars too! So it was like Seabourn!

Very surprised to read this, as you posted a rather critical initial review one week into your cruise.

As I recall, you didn't return to the thread although it did cause some heated discussion and anxiety amongst those of us who were going to be on Seabourn shortly after you. It would have been nice to read a positive update.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2242106

I' actually had to spend lots of my free time working - which as you can know takes longer given the internet connections. In my review I always said I loved our room and suite service. It was funny to see the comments as they only focused on my negative comments and not the positive. I will say we did not "love" the food, but we ended up per advice sitting in the same MDR section after awhile and that made the service at dinner very good. And we ended up " liking" it he food, but not loving it. But realize that is tough on a cruise so it was good, not great.m It also steered us to what the best things were on the menu - eg bought fresh in port. However we never really liked the Columnade buffet for lunch. It was VERY crowded unless you were there early and we would have much preferred the MDR being open. Having said that we enjoyed the cruise, loved our room, and would return. But MDR lunch situation will always be a hesitation file us. Working so hard when we vacation. Having a nice quiet leisurely lunch is important. The great thing was on the seabourn cruise last summer we were in the med, so 75-% of the time we ate in port! Don't get me wrong., the chef and staff were very good. They did the best they could do.

Stefan Cruise, are you talking about Oceania or another cruise line? If it was Oceania, how did you find this all-inclusive offer? On their website, through another, perhaps discount, cruise website, or through your travel agent? I am curious. Thanks.

FYI

Oceania's all inclusive alcohol package is only offered in the UK

sorry, it was my fault. It was the prestige beverage package. We could order liquor on the bars too! So it was like Seabourn!

That does make a difference. Though your booking was highly unusual and is normally never offered even to passengers in the top suites.