Obstructed balcony GTY question.

amscene1

I booked a Obstructed balcony GTY for the royal princess in the FWD - TOP. I see there are a total of 12 cabins (1 handicap) but none are available to book directly, only like I did with a GTY.

My question is: are those cabins available still or will they give me the handicap. Is it possible they will upgrade me from there to another balcony, deluxe or mini suite?

Has anyone been in this situation and if so, what have you been assigned?

I booked a Obstructed balcony GTY for the royal princess in the FWD - TOP. I see there are a total of 12 cabins (1 handicap) but none are available to book directly, only like I did with a GTY.

My question is: are those cabins available still or will they give me the handicap. Is it possible they will upgrade me from there to another balcony, deluxe or mini suite?

Has anyone been in this situation and if so, what have you been assigned?

Anything is possible and there is no set way they do it.

It could be any of the scenarios that you mentioned.

You are just guaranteed a cabin cat that you booked or higher. ;)

We recently booked an obstructed balcony gty on Royal Princess and were allocated a cabin in the same catagory as booked.Other guarantee passengers we spoke with were allocated similar.

We were perfectly happy with the cabin allocated E301on E deck but this cabin wasn't showing available when we booked.

Maybe you will be lucky an get upgraded but you will probably be ok if not.

We recently booked an obstructed balcony gty on Royal Princess and were allocated a cabin in the same catagory as booked.Other guarantee passengers we spoke with were allocated similar.

We were perfectly happy with the cabin allocated E301on E deck but this cabin wasn't showing available when we booked.

Maybe you will be lucky an get upgraded but you will probably be ok if not.

Princess does a lot of moving cabins around and has cabins available that don't show in the public inventory.

OP, we booked an Obstructed Guarantee Balcony Top forward for our Royal cruise as well. There was a lot of inventory available when we booked. We were assigned a few days ago to a cabin on Emerald deck, mid aft, still obstructed but Deluxe balcony.

Edited by Yurita

That's crazy, I did not know they can change your location. That's not fair, I booked a room on the top forward. I wanted to be at this location.

If you wanted to be at that location, then unfortunately booking a GTY cabin was not the way to go. Booking a GTY means you'll take any cabin, in any location, in the Category you booked or higher.

Is it too late for you to change and book a specific cabin in the area you want?

OP, we booked an Obstructed Guarantee Balcony Top forward for our Royal cruise as well. There was a lot of inventory available when we booked. We were assigned a few days ago to a cabin on Emerald deck, mid aft, still obstructed but Deluxe balcony.

Hi Yurita -

How far in advance did they assign your room? We are 63 days out, plenty of JS's and over a hundred premium balconies left on our ship.

Thanks!

We got assigned last week, so i would say 50 to 55 days pre cruise. I remember checking every day, sometimes 4 times a day. That day we got assigned about noon and the funny thing was... i was checking inventory daily and that day lots of cabins dissapeared, so i figured they had assigned most people. Then i checked my booking again and it said confirmed instead of guaranteed. All Emerald cabins were gone, so i guess everyone got that deck Good luck!!

We got assigned last week, so i would say 50 to 55 days pre cruise.

Thank you so much!

I am doing the same thing, keeping tally of what rooms are still open. Its good to know I'm not the only one. :)

A whole block of Jr Suites disappeared a few days ago, all on the same floor Aft. But there are still 25 remaining so I'm hopeful. There are so many nice balcony rooms left we are certain to get something good.

Enjoy your mid October cruise. We are going over Halloween weekend, so hopefully next week we'll know.

If you wanted to be at that location, then unfortunately booking a GTY cabin was not the way to go. Booking a GTY means you'll take any cabin, in any location, in the Category you booked or higher.

Is it too late for you to change and book a specific cabin in the area you want?

Per post #1

I'm only 45 days out for my 10 day Eastern royal princess. Still no assignment.

I guess we are going on the same cruise! Sorry they have not assigned you a cabin yet; perhaps, they are waiting to give you a very nice upgrade.

Just out of curiosity, did you book a balcony, interior or Mini Suite? It doesn't hurt to give Princess a call. I know my friend did it, and she got assigned the same day.;)

Thank you so much!

I am doing the same thing, keeping tally of what rooms are still open. Its good to know I'm not the only one. :)

A whole block of Jr Suites disappeared a few days ago, all on the same floor Aft. But there are still 25 remaining so I'm hopeful. There are so many nice balcony rooms left we are certain to get something good.

Enjoy your mid October cruise. We are going over Halloween weekend, so hopefully next week we'll know.

It's exciting, isn't it? Keep your fingers crossed, perhaps you get a super nice balcony room with No obstruction or a Mini suite!!!

Thank you so much!

Seeing or not seeing rooms available on the website has little bearing on your cabin assignment. Princess also has rooms blocked themselves that you may never see. ;)

What Jr. suites? Are you referring to mini's?

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I booked a GTY obstructed view balcony on fwd top. There's about 51 mini suites and 95 balcony's remaining at 45 days out.

They guarantee to give you an obstructed view balcony cabin. They might give you a higher cabin category like a balcony or what they perceive is a better located obstructed view cabin. Its a lottery. I wouldn't look at inventory available to book on the Princess site. They could move someone else and then plonk you in their old cabin.

Lottery. its not for the fussy :D

I booked a GTY obstructed view balcony on fwd top. There's about 51 mini suites and 95 balcony's remaining at 45 days out.

My recent upsell call was at about 35 days out. They will try to upsell all the cabins they can. Many of those minis and higher category balconies you mention may be upsold to those currently booked in lower categories before guarantees are assigned.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78
grammar

My recent upsell call was at about 35 days out. They will try to upsell all the cabins they can. Many of those minis and higher category balconies you mention may be upsold to those currently booked in lower categories before guarantees are assigned.

Ha!!! That's how it works, makes lots of sense from a financial point of view!! Try to upsell those higher categories to assigned people, give them a higher cabin and then give those empty cabins to the rest of unassigned people. So yeah, makes sense to have those lower priced obstructed balnies until the last minute.

They guarantee to give you an obstructed view balcony cabin. They might give you a higher cabin category like a balcony or what they perceive is a better located obstructed view cabin. Its a lottery. I wouldn't look at inventory available to book on the Princess site. They could move someone else and then plonk you in their old cabin.

Lottery. its not for the fussy :D

Exactly !

They are probably offering "upsells" and "courtesy upgrades " into those balcony & mini's , leaving many booked obstructed views now available .

The first time I booked a BZ guarantee on the Royal I was assigned a deluxe mid ship unobstructed balcony. The second time I booked the same category I got a mid aft category BB unobstructed balcony. I have been very happy with all my guarantee assignments from Princess.